My 200mph budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
Well thats what one of the guys from a ford magazine told me that its £50 an hour as they use it a lot to test cars who claim big power etc and do features on them.

theres normally other vehicles there aswell, manufactures testing cars/bikes etc so you might get a chance to see cars that arnt in production aswell.

When i spoke to stav from redline(the mag im going in) he said he needs 24hrs notice and thats it, calls them to book for the next day and job done

Associate
OP
radiator arrived today so i did some marking up to see if my theory matched real life

Another ebay purchase
p23031021120001.jpg

No damage
p23031021140001.jpg

thickness of end tanks
p23031021160001.jpg

thickness of core
p23031021170001.jpg

Marking up placement
p23031022070001.jpg

Pretty tight!!
p23031022060001.jpg

Checking for leaks
p23031022230001.jpg

One the issues with running an intercooler of 120mm thickness is that you struggle to cool the water temps due to the restriction of air getting to the radiator.

By only covering half the radiator with the rad you gain the benefit of a thick intercooler and a lot of air passing though the rad, thats my theory behind why this should work so fingers crossed.

Just need to get my intercooler over the local aluminum welding place to cut it to my specs:D

Soldato
god yeh thats going back a bit, yep, loved that massive cooler, 35psi of boost and 30c inlet temps was nice, i actually think i remember you from back then, though it is a little hazy.

What you driving around in now?

Mondeo TDCi... :rolleyes:

I can't remember the name of the guy who i bought it off now, Dastardly Dave or something like that was his username, it was a PH1 GTT Rep when i bought it, and i had it re-done to a PH2 Rep after a bump!

:D

Associate
OP
yep i remember it, dick dastardly on the forums, he was a decent enough chap, i did always wonder what happened to the car.

Seems this forum is obsessed with either mondeos or 3 series bmws, must be half their national car sales just on here haha.

Associate
OP
Since the car will run 60psi base pressure of fuel and the engine will need 6000cc/min of fuel at peak power i worked out id need 360 litres per hour worth of pumping power.

now pumps that you see the specs for arnt rated for that certain fuel pressure.

A 305LPH flows 230LPH at 60psi so im gonna run 2 pumps to give 460LPH

These are gonna be both intank strapped together

ill be using a Y piece to connect the to pumps together inside the tank....2x -6 to a -8 Y piece

Then -8 fuel line running to a -8 fuel filter, then -8 fuel line to a Y piece with 2x -6 to split to the 2 fuel rails.

the primary rail will be running the original 550cc injectors(obviously at 60psi fuel pressure they will be higher, maybe 600cc)

the secondary rail will be running ID 2200cc injectors(at 60psi will be 2500cc)

the reverse will be the same as above as a Y piece will connect them back up together before heading to the FPR, that line will be -8

Through the FPR and a -8 return line back the tank.

I know that might not be written very well but this is my first go at setting up a fuel system and im not really sure the easiest way to explain it so i have included a picture.

fuelsetup.jpg

If someone can see if theres anything i have done wrong i would really appreciate it

For refence the reason the the rails connect back together with a Y piece before going to the FPR is because ill be using the stock FPR and injectors for a while until i buy my rail/injectors/FPR at a later date, at that time ill send each injector rail outlet into the 2 inlets on the adjustable FPR

thanks

Associate
OP
Got bored today so decided to put the battery in the boot, it needed doing to make room for my intercooler/rad setup

Sorry for lack of pics going through it all but it was raining hard and didnt want to spend forever outside

removed from engine bay and ran live feed to rear of car
p28031013140001.jpg

bolted tray down to chassis then built everything else back up, connect live and ran earth wire to a bolt hole near by
p28031013150001.jpg

Permabanned
Will the single fuel filter flow enough or would you be better having dual fuel filters then joining them together, it also gives better redundancy in case of some dirt reducing flow through one.

Associate
WOW nice thread, please some videos when you can.

Thanks for sharing this because it really is interesting, life is about fun and enjoyment. And I know your be getting that from this :D

Associate
OP
yeh, checked with earls and they are rated to 18000cc per minute and I only need 6000cc, so plenty good enough, not gonna run 2 as they are £50 each and they are rebuildable, just put new element once a year.....mazda stock ones are £50 so should save me some money in the future

Associate
OP
i did wonder that, if i ran 2 separate fuel lines down the car id imagine it would but im using just one big line to make plumbing easier, like you say, even if i dont get that, i still have enough in hand to cover myself

Im gonna use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to up the pressure

Soldato
How is the original system plumbed?

If you do have flow issues, you might consider this order:

Code:
[PUMP]==
         >==[FILTER]=========[BIG RAIL]----[SMALL RAIL]--[RELEIF]--
[PUMP]==                                                          |
                                                                  |
[RETURN]-----------------------------------------------------------

Or maybe 2 filters.

Last edited: