My 200mph budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
But still, you wouldn't catch me in the driving seat of something rattling along the tarmac at 200mph which had the words budget in the design criteria.

Associate
Probably not a 'car' in the normal sense, but classed as one.

The 1956 Triumph Streamliner 'bike' hit 214mph with only 80hp. (not sure over what length though)

Associate
For all out top speed, weight isnt an issue (just might take longer to get upto speed), it is all about drag forces and having enough power to overcome them untill you reach 200Mph.......

Associate
OP
ok guys, didnt realise id get so many replies so quickly, ill start filling you in on the build below.

Been thinking about this for the last couple of months and ive decided to go for it!!

On another forum there was a debate about how much it would cost to do 200mph within 1.7miles(airfield)

The thread went a big barmy when everyone had all the little groups throwing there dummy out and a few extras pitching in for the fun, at the time i didnt really pay that much attention to it, just sort of skimmed to top of it.

Anyway while reading the one thing i picked up on was a magazine reporter from Redline, mr stav/steve. He claimed that you could go 200mph for £10k, of course everyone claimed that was rubbish but he stuck by his guns and made a few examples that made sense to me.

Yes you could build a multipurpose car that will happen to do 200mph with all the shiny alloy bits on and spend a fortune, but if you had one goal in mind and nothing else i believed it was possible.

Now i wont really turn this into a build thread as such as it will be probably be moved and id like to keep it here for everyone to see as i think this section brings in the most experience and knowledge

So a quick run down, the plan is to buy a car, tune it and make it run 200mph at brunters for £10k.

Already spent a long time chatting to guys who have done it before about this and hes give me lots of useful information and seems to back me up on this.

Spoke to Stav and hes gonna do a full magazine coverage and pay for the day etc so its a definite goer!

ill put my ideals below

Caporegime
I know a 630bhp VXR8 supercharged can reach 168 over a mile.

Wouldnt like to reckon it could reach the magic 200 in less than 0.7miles after that however. It gets exponentially harder as you get faster doesnt it ?

Associate
OP
ok guys, the car im building is a mazda 1994 rx7

Ok to give you a run down on the situation.

I bought the car last april for £3000

The reason this car will work is that a lot of the things i require are already with the car.

It has a very low drag coefficient body 0.28 which means cutting through the air is easier, it has double wishbone suspension all around which adjustable camber from factory.

I have since fitted a set of tein coilovers with alloy top mounts, i got these from a friend who had only done 1000 dry miles on them for £300, this gives me the ability to make the car very low to help with aero, ie fast under, slow over creating downforce.

Now up until last year there has never been forged components for the rotary engine, its just something thats never been developed because of the complexity and the tooling cost.

This means that every power rotary engine has always used stock internals. Those 1300bhp rx7s you see at the drag strip are running the same bits that the guy up the street is running on his stock 250bhp rx7.

Now the benefit of this is the lack of parts that needs to be bought, when your going for big power on a piston engine most people 'forge' the bottom end by spending say £1k-£3k on rods, pistons and maybe a stroker crank.

Another benefit of this engine is the lack of cams, valves.

Now if you want more power from a piston engine you normally need more aggressive cams so you can get the air in and out a lot easier, which can cost a lot of money, some people pay up to £4k for a worked over head with lairy cams.

To do the same on a rotary all we need to do is port out the housings, now this costs anything from £200 put to £500 depending on where you go and what you have done.

For my engine, we have gone for a large port and also ported the inlet manifold, removed the extra throttle butterflies to help with flow.

This is the same as flowing the head and putting in more aggresive cams, gives the ability to make power higher in the rpms and also due to the extra flow of the port also means that the turbo will spool earlier.

Ill post this now and type the next bit up

Associate
I would have thought something along the lines of an MR2/RX7 would be good for this.

I know the RX7 can take massive boost on stock rotors. Always see them with T88's etc running over 400bhp. I'm not clued up much on 13B tuning but know they can take a lot of boost due to being rotary.

There is a chap in the US who has a 185 celica running a 800hp 3S-GTE who did 200mph

Good luck with the project :) i hope you succeed

Soldato
Whats the frontal area of the Mazda. That plays just as significant part in drag force as the Cd.

What tyres are you going to use?

I think your acceleration requirements are more of a concern than actually providing power to meet 200mph.

Soldato
weight can make it unstable, but within a limited distance the reduction of weight outweighs the negatives, if this was over say 3-4miles then yes i would agree keep the weight there, anyway next bit is written and will be below

From experience of many vmaxs, weight does not have an appreciable effect.

What power figure are you aiming for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom