My 200mph budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
ah thanks mate, just checked my trust and it was my old email address, well the idea sounds pretty cool actually, there will be proper photographers there from the magazine taking pics etc, but i suppose if you followed me at speed around the bottom corner at(80-90mph) then it would show the difference in power as we come onto the straight.

kind of like when they compare a bugatti and an audi tt lol

Associate
OP
well i can only put about £200 a month towards this, all the rest of my money goes on just living.

so id say ive got another 1k go put towards this before its done, id imagine it will be autumn time to keep the intake temps down so it doesnt cost to much power

Associate
track cars yes, the reason for that is to split the air between both the rad and the intercooler, the reason being if your thrashing it for 20mins on track water temps start to rise due to not enough air getting to the rad.

Since my setup forces all air to go through the intercooler and rad this wont be an issue.

the problem you have with v mounts is you need a vented bonnet to make them effective, all well and good but then you are compromising your aero package by creating drag, fine for tracks when you dont go that fast, but not for top speed

the car does 158mph from factory, one of its strengths is its high speed stability over other cars, diffusers and canards help you when your cornering and you need the downforce, in a straight line this is not required unless without enough downforce you break traction, this will not be an issue from 4th gear upwards

I earn a lot less money than you think, infact less than 90% of the people on here, i work part time in a call centre while im trying to get into the raf.

racing typhoons down the runway isnt needed to get their attention :p:p

Associate
well i can only put about £200 a month towards this, all the rest of my money goes on just living.

so id say ive got another 1k go put towards this before its done, id imagine it will be autumn time to keep the intake temps down so it doesnt cost to much power

cooler air temp = denser air = more drag doesnt it?

Soldato
ah thanks mate, just checked my trust and it was my old email address, well the idea sounds pretty cool actually, there will be proper photographers there from the magazine taking pics etc, but i suppose if you followed me at speed around the bottom corner at(80-90mph) then it would show the difference in power as we come onto the straight.

kind of like when they compare a bugatti and an audi tt lol

sounds like a plan then, I'm not at home till Sunday evening, I'll add you to msn and we can have a proper chat

Dup

Dup

Soldato
FDs rock. They can pull pretty well as standard, probably one of the most exciting cars I've been in. For 3K for the standard car I'm very tempted to start putting money away for one. Or a 13B to drop in my MX5.

Good look with the boost build. If it's an open event when you get this on the track we should all come and have a nosey.

Associate
OP
racing typhoons down the runway isnt needed to get their attention :p:p

haha you my dear sir are made of awesome!!

cooler air temp = denser air = more drag doesnt it?

now that has been brought up before by a few people, technically yes the thicker the air the harder it is to go through but the effects are negiotiable at best, the cooler temps benefit the oil coolers, intercooler and rad, keeping power for the full distance as you can loose some power after a while at full throttle

sounds like a plan then, I'm not at home till Sunday evening, I'll add you to msn and we can have a proper chat

yeh ok mate, speak to ya soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amx3nY-oGoU this is from cold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIDIzCDOFOk this is when its warm after a run

to give everyone an idea what it sounds like, remember its still got the cat on and a 3inch normal exhaust so is about 1/10 of the loudness it will be when its got no cat and is a 5inch pipe exiting just behind the front driver wheel

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I dont understand how you can afford to build a 200mph highly modified RX7 whilst working part time in a call centre or even why you'd attempt such a project under those circumstances :confused:

Associate
OP
i dont drink, i dont smoke, cars are the only hobby i really have, something ive loved since i was a little child.

most people will spend £50 a week on good food/drink/nights up town, since they dont interest me id rather put that money to something ill truly enjoy.

This isnt some 50k super build, this is to prove to everyone and more importantly to push myself technically that if i set my mind to something i can achieve it.

for whats on the car already, including buying it is 6750, so i have 3250 left to put on it.

£200 for dual fuel pumps
£300 for fuel pressure reg, 1600cc injectors and fuel rail
£120 for radiator
£280 for intercooler
£1400 for turbo, manifold, wastegate, downpipe, screamerpipe
£150 water injection
£250 spark amplifier
that comes to £2700 so in the long run im already most of the way there
once i have achieved my goal, ill turn the boost right down and have a nice 500bhp reliable weekend car, i walk to work so this is just something for me to make sure i cope with the boredom and tedium of my job

Caporegime
i dont understand how you can afford to put £200 a month to a car (currently sorn i take it) when you are working part time. thats a lot of money to a general call centre worker.

still, your money!
though, if you got a proper job (by proper i mean full time), you could pay for it quicker and have it running 200mph by summer ;]

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I work full time and couldn't afford this, even with a mortgage cheaper the the average rent round here and a partner to share the bills 50/50. Wish I still lived at home, or earned more money. C'est la vie.

I don't really care how its paid for, everybody needs a hobby and some motivation myself included. What's the point in working at all if you've nothing to work for? It's not like it's all being paid in one big chunk is it?

Associate
OP
ok, since this seems so much of an interest to people in regards of how i pay for this.

my rent is 280 a month which includes all bills including internet
i pay 75 a month to insure my car
I go out normally twice a month into town on a night out, since i drink £10 does me so that £20 a month.
spend £30 a month on food

so thats £405 out goings, anything above that is pocket money

I get £700 a month take home, been putting £200 a month towards this and £95 has covered me for fuel, general buying bits and bobs, i walk to work so car only gets used for shopping trips, days out at weekend.

Happy now?

Soldato
ok, since this seems so much of an interest to people in regards of how i pay for this.

my rent is 280 a month which includes all bills including internet
i pay 75 a month to insure my car
I go out normally twice a month into town on a night out, since i drink £10 does me so that £20 a month.
spend £30 a month on food

so thats £405 out goings, anything above that is pocket money

I get £700 a month take home, been putting £200 a month towards this and £95 has covered me for fuel, general buying bits and bobs, i walk to work so car only gets used for shopping trips, days out at weekend.

Happy now?

It was none of their business. Seems like there is elements of the green eyed monster involved here. All power to you mate (excuse the pun).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom