My 3rd H80i has died. Need new all in one cooler.

Permabanned
OP
From what I've read on various sources, options to disable the 'offline charging' seem mainboard dependent. I have an older Gigagbyte and I can't turn it off. Newer gigabyte boards only have a certain header with OLC enabled (if I've read right) allowing users to connect equipment without it being constantly powered.

I haven't really read up on it, but I only have 2 USB headers on my mobo and 1 is red? I guess I could try both and see what happens? Thanks for that info mate:)

Soldato
Because I found myself with little to do (missus isn't feeling well and has gone to bed) I opened up your mainboard's manual. The red USB header, marked F_USB1 is the one that supportes'offline' charging, or ON/OFF Charge as Gigabyte call it. I'm not sure if any of the rear ports also support this however I would suspect that if so they are also coloured red.

I couldn't find any reference to the ability to disable this via the BIOS.

Permabanned
OP
Because I found myself with little to do (missus isn't feeling well and has gone to bed) I opened up your mainboard's manual. The red USB header, marked F_USB1 is the one that supportes'offline' charging, or ON/OFF Charge as Gigabyte call it. I'm not sure if any of the rear ports also support this however I would suspect that if so they are also coloured red.

I couldn't find any reference to the ability to disable this via the BIOS.

Thanks for looking for me Resident:) Been very busy with my 2 year old son. Boy is he a hand full;)

So I shouldn't use the RED USB header then? I will try both and see what happens after shutdown.

Last edited:
Soldato
No worries fella, it killed 5 mins of my time and I've had experience of how busy a 2 yr old can keep you (not mine, ex's from a previous) so I got ya back there.

You can use it by all means but I would suspect that the LED will still be lit on shutdown.

Permabanned
OP
Well I've installed the Antec 920 a few days ago and I'm not impressed with it at all. My temps were 8c-10c worse off. I reseated the pump 4 times with different paste and it was the same. Even though the H80i is built like crap it works very well. I RMA my H80i and got replacment yesterday. I installed it a hour ago and my temps are amazingly cooler. Infact their nearly 10c cooler then the antec 920. So in the end while the corsair H80i isn't the best made product it sure works extremely well.

Associate
ive been thinking which one of these to get.. i dont have space for the big air coolers and wanted to try the CLC coolers. to be honest anything will be better than my current setup but now going to start looking at the crosair one now.

what's the fan management like for the croshair?

Permabanned
OP
ive been thinking which one of these to get.. i dont have space for the big air coolers and wanted to try the CLC coolers. to be honest anything will be better than my current setup but now going to start looking at the crosair one now.

what's the fan management like for the croshair?

Very easy and simple.

You can make many fan profiles. I only do 2. Quiet mode and Gaming mode.

You can set the fan speed to anything you want. They go up to 2450 rpm I think, but tbh you wont need them that high. I have mine at 800rpm and my Idle temps on my i7 3770k are 27c to 30c. The antec was near 37 to 39c. I was very disappointed with that cooler. Get the Corsair H80i, while it's not the best made cooler, it works very well and easy to install. A 7 year old can install it.

Associate
Sounds good. Definatly looking at one of these for my little shinobi case :) better than my idle about 40.c and i'll be able to overclokc my i3570k without temps going through the roof.

Permabanned
OP
Sounds good. Definatly looking at one of these for my little shinobi case :) better than my idle about 40.c and i'll be able to overclokc my i3570k without temps going through the roof.

40c:eek:

Dude with this cooler and your CPU your temps might be lower then mine. The i7 3770k is known to have high temps, so your temps should be amazing:D

Associate
yeah the case i have doesn't haev the best air flow (especially with a MSI gtx560ti blowing hot air into the middle of the case).

i did a test and stuck an additional fan onto my heatsink and it went down by 10.c so this cooler should be good!! i hope so :d

Permabanned
OP
yeah the case i have doesn't haev the best air flow (especially with a MSI gtx560ti blowing hot air into the middle of the case).

i did a test and stuck an additional fan onto my heatsink and it went down by 10.c so this cooler should be good!! i hope so :d

It will be fine. I have a big case and have my H80i blowing the air as outflow, but since your case gets hot I would have the h80i blow in the case. I would also get better fans to blow the hot air out the case.

Associate
my h80i led has died aswell. good thing is OCUK have no problem replacing it. bad thing is I am afraid that my unit will fail again sometime soon. XD

Associate
It will be fine. I have a big case and have my H80i blowing the air as outflow, but since your case gets hot I would have the h80i blow in the case. I would also get better fans to blow the hot air out the case.

when i get it will still be exhaust but im also getting some decent fans and a controller as i have 6 positions for fans. 2x 140mm and 6x 120mm

Permabanned
OP
my h80i led has died aswell. good thing is OCUK have no problem replacing it. bad thing is I am afraid that my unit will fail again sometime soon. XD

I'm on my 4th H80i. I will say the H80i works very well, but they don't hold on very long. If it happens again I'll RMA again:)

when i get it will still be exhaust but im also getting some decent fans and a controller as i have 6 positions for fans. 2x 140mm and 6x 120mm

The 140mm fans will blow more air out 2 times better then a 120mm. Hope all runs well:)

Associate
Mine worked fine too until all the issues. I went through 3 of them I wont be buying anymore H80i's. I bought the antec 920 with 2 Akasa Apache Black PWN fans today. I hear the stock fans are very loud. When Corsair fix their issues I might come back.

Good luck with your H80i:)

Well it lasted 10 days. Now the Blue and Red LED have failed and I'm stuck on either Green or 'off' - It may only be cosmetic but having spend £75 odd on it I'm not best pleased. Also has me worried about the rest of the unit :mad:

Associate
Yeah - courier is coming to pick it up tomorrow. I've got a new Thermalright Archon sitting in a box that I've never used. Will have to use that in the meantime.

10 days from install to failure is a bit poor. Hope my next one lasts a bit longer ;)

Associate
I imagine that overwhelmingly these units are fine. I mean no one goes onto a forum to post 'Damn my H80i is working exactly as intended' - but good luck anyway.

As an aside, the Thermalright Archon I've installed as temporary cooler seems to have slightly better temps and noise. Shame I can't close my case at the moment because of the size of the thing.

Anyway the H80i is still getting re-installed when the replacement turns up, if nothing else it looks better :)

Associate
I have to say the H80i does look good and I do really like the low profile ... My system has a 2 year OC warranty lets hope the cooler is covered and the improve the reliability over the next 2 years :)

Back
Top Bottom