• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My 4790K died Christmas day

Soldato
So my 4790K has died on Christmas day.
I have tested everything and the only common thing is the CPU. I am just waiting to find a very cheap 1150 CPU to test my motherboards(s) and other bits n bobs.

This just sounds like bad luck and a bit of a sad story... no there is more..

My CPU died 20 days after the warranty expired......

So I am lost at what to do other than make a keychain out of it..

Sigh....

Soldato
OP
Thank you for all your thoughts and condolences.

She was running stock clocks after a couple of years working hard with an OCUK 4.4 OC. Cooling was German air and very efficient.

For were it not 21 days earlier then she could have been resurrected but alas, she bailed on Christmas day....

She will be more than missed and never forgotten.

Soldato
She was running stock clocks after a couple of years working hard with an OCUK 4.4 OC. Cooling was German air and very efficient.

Were you on standard/default voltages? At stock speed this CPU should not have died.

What PSU are you running? I wonder if you had a power spike go into it.

Soldato
OP
try an intel RMA, they have the best customer support i have ever experienced. they might not replace totally free but might offer a discounted unit. worth a shot

I have been in such a tiz over this as it is a very important PC for me, that I never for 1 second thought to do that. I am genuinely thankful you suggested this.

Using my FPO number the intel website says my processor is still warrantied until 29th Feb 2018 and a ticket is in....

Thanks so much

Associate
I have been in such a tiz over this as it is a very important PC for me, that I never for 1 second thought to do that. I am genuinely thankful you suggested this.

Using my FPO number the intel website says my processor is still warrantied until 29th Feb 2018 and a ticket is in....

Thanks so much

no worries :) glad its sorted under RMA. their service is spot on.

Associate
when i sent my 4690k back under RMA they dispatched another within a few hours of getting mine back so i would say your in safe hands. Although they do make you **** it (or did at the time) to the netherlands. i think they offer a UK agent to return but if this is still the case send it direct as if it goes to the agent then they take days to forward it to the netherlands causing delay. But of course its cheaper to send to a UK address your call.

Associate
DId you try removing the CMOS battery for 5 mins? It seems really strage that the system won't post after a simple move...unless somebody spilled some beer in your PC and 'forgot' to tell you... :p

Man of Honour
Unless you've run it hard on a lot of voltage and/or poor cooling the CPU is usually one of the last things to go - I'd normally suspect the RAM or motherboard first.

Soldato
OP
DId you try removing the CMOS battery for 5 mins? It seems really strage that the system won't post after a simple move...unless somebody spilled some beer in your PC and 'forgot' to tell you... :p

Pretty much done everything that could prove it was something other than the CPU. I then rebuilt it on another motherboard and exactly the same behaviour. So not MB, PSU, memory. :(

And no beer spilt either...

I would never have thought it was the CPU. First thing I did was change the PSU as that seemed logical then went through all the usual trouble shooting steps. Then this weekend rebuilt with a new MB, tested RAM in another PC, used a different Drive and finally 3rd PSU and each time the same behaviour of not getting to post just fan loop. I would look to something else but the fact all the components have been tested and or replaced, the only common point of failure is the CPU and that fits with failure to post.

Back
Top Bottom