My desk project

Soldato
OP
After using this for a week or so now in its current configuration...

I'm liking it!

However... due to how close my desk is to the wall, it makes getting cables in the back quite difficult! But that's only really a rare occurrence.

I really need to sort out some power/reset switches, reaching in with a small screwdriver every time I want to switch it on is becoming tedious!

I'll also need to get the bit of perspex on the front, although not until I've resolved the power switch issue!

And... the LEDs under the motherboard are either 1) not bright enough or 2) not enough of them, you can only see them when the lights and monitors are off.

Soldato
OP
Hi all,

Not done any more to this recently, have been actually using the computer!

As for the power cable routing... I didn't want them going off to the side, as it wouldn't have been symmetrical, I didn't put them to the front, because it would have been more difficult to connect and disconnect (plus, ideally I'd have wanted a 24-way cable that was about 10cm long - I couldn't find one in white!), and I would have had to cut through the metal motherboard tray, and I couldn't think of a way to make it as neat with the tools that I had at my disposal!

I need a properly-sized bit of perspex to go over the front, and some additional lighting... and a properly placed power switch!

Soldato
OP
I've had 2 off-cuts of perspex kind of draped over the front of it, but so far... can't say I've noticed any dust on any of the components. Even the radiator under the fans on the right hand side look to be absolutely clear of anything :)

Soldato
OP
The white board is fine, the triangle supports I've put in have given it plenty of strength.
I'm still not sure on the cabling either - but it's easy enough to change it, I can replace that back bit with a fresh, un-cut bit, but it's cutting the holes in the base bit that will be more difficult to "undo" ;)

I'm thinking of some Mayhems Ice White coolant too ;)

Back
Top Bottom