My electricity meter is still reading 00000 due to Solar panels!!

Soldato
OP
No meaningful comparisons can be made until you tell us the costs to install the system, the ongoing maintenance costs and expected lifespan of individual parts.

Only then can their true value and time to break even can be calculated.
Ongoing maintenance costs should be zero or near zero. If anything breaks it will be the inventor but they can last over 20 years. 1 year profits should cover a new inventor. I have a 10 year warranty on the inventor, you can get 20 year but it didn't seem worth while to me.

Install costs with extras was £6100 would have been below £6000 if I didn't get the extra gadgets. The saving in electric alone should mean a £15 year breakeven point. The payments for energy produced should push the breakeven point down to around 6 years. Before buying I estimated 10 years break even but so far it’s working better then I hoped.

How long will it take you to break even on the initial outlay and are you planning on staying in the house that long?
Yes I plan to stay here a long time. It’s a little early to say for sure but the numbers come out as 6 years perhaps a little less as I don’t work in the summer so gain more benefit. In theory return investment in 20 years will be around £21,757.

Above is assuming approximately 3356 kWh of electricity per year on average. Feed-in Tariff of 14.38p per kWh x 3356 kWh will generate an annual income of £482 per year for 20 years. The rest of the saving comes from the reduce energy bill. The reduce energy bill is the hard bit to work out for me. Worse case should be a 10 year payback. But so far it looks more like 5 to 6 year.

Is that not the correct behaviour ?
ie You get paid for every KW you put back into the grid ?
You have a 2nd device which counts up how much you produce and you get paid for that separate from the main meter. If the main meter counts backwards you cannot tell how much you used up.

Soldato
Another factor might be due to the longevity of the panels. Why go to the hassle of having them included in new builds going forward only for the home owners to not bother replacing them once they expire? (either because of capital cost / laziness / or not planning to live there long enough to see a return)

Soldato
Fair points but can we afford not to start embracing sustainable sources of energy? The cost of a building company to mass install/purchase would probably work out to be relatively small, and they could be incentivised by funding or offsetting of costs?

I completely understand and agree with what you're saying, but I sort of feel as though we have a responsibility to try and make this a de facto mode rather than something we begrudgingly do. Imagine if the millions of homes and office blocks were to knock even 10% of electricity demand off the grid. It would have a massively positive impact (less so for energy companies admittedly, but then they wouldn't need as much resourcing to keep up with demand).

It's a not something that can be solved over night I admit.

I would certainly be happy to see considerable subsidy injected into the PV market to make it affordable to the masses. I would probably have solar panels on my house if I could afford it (not sure if my roof is suitable though). At the moment the initial investment needed is around £7k for a 3-4kw system. Hopefully in the coming years we will see that reduce significantly. I am particulalry interested to see what happens now the market is developing in the far east. The Chinese, for example, have a long history of reverse engineering technology and making it cheaper.

I definitely think it is worth thinking about, and maybe one day they will produce renewable domestic systems that are capable of being independent from the grid altogether. That is a very exciting prospect. In fact, some custom designed eco houses are already doing this with a mixture of solar, wind and ground source energy. But in the main they have to be air tight buildings to make the systems work properly, which is going to be a huge ask for most properties in this country. But in the future, who knows what we will develop......

Associate
It's hardly an often replacement and maybe it could be a requirement of mortgage-ability that all solar systems are in working order.

Man of Honour
I would certainly be happy to see considerable subsidy injected into the PV market to make it affordable to the masses. I would probably have solar panels on my house if I could afford it (not sure if my roof is suitable though). At the moment the initial investment needed is around £7k for a 3-4kw system. Hopefully in the coming years we will see that reduce significantly. I am particulalry interested to see what happens now the market is developing in the far east. The Chinese, for example, have a long history of reverse engineering technology and making it cheaper.

I definitely think it is worth thinking about, and maybe one day they will produce renewable domestic systems that are capable of being independent from the grid altogether. That is a very exciting prospect. In fact, some custom designed eco houses are already doing this with a mixture of solar, wind and ground source energy. But in the main they have to be air tight buildings to make the systems work properly, which is going to be a huge ask for most properties in this country. But in the future, who knows what we will develop......

Indeed - interesting/exciting times ahead. However, one must be brave enough to be a pioneer or stick their head above the others before others will follow. It is an investment that you may not see a return on (especially if you do not stay in your home for long enough) but something you can pass onto the next person, it should make your home more valuable (IMO).

Anyway, small steps - solar panels are becoming more socially acceptable, especially now they can be installed flush and effectively as part of your tiles/roof.

Associate
Guy just built 3 houses around the corner from me roof is full of panels I'm pretty sure he is going to rent the properties out wonder who will get the benefit of the panels if it is him it sure is a interesting way to boost rental profits

Caporegime
From what I understand Solar Panels on domestic homes is incredibly expensive and inefficient "in the big picture".

At the bottom level (individuals in their own homes getting cheap/free electricity) is great for the individuals themselves, but in terms of mass producing panels and fitting them, especially when the government was heavily subsidising them, its incredibly expensive for very little benifit as a whole for the organisations funding it.

Basically someone was paying to produce them, paying to fit them, and then by assiociation paying your electricity bill, and getting nothing back. Great if your the guy on the receiving end, not so great if your in charge of the finances of the 'someone'.

Which is why its going to remain small scale as individuals fund their own panels. Personally I plan to do this to my own house when I get one, but with the understanding that 'doing it myself' will mean I have many many years before it pays for itself.

Caporegime
Normally the tenant pays for the utilities (though some landlords offer all bills included) - so I guess they'd benefit as their bills would be lower?

If I was the Landlord I would then bump the rent up to offset that, so the money that would usually be paid by the tenants to the electricity company instead goes to the landlord as rent.

Associate
I rent my houses out, the income from solar systems comes to me, tenant gets the use of free electricity that is being produced at the time.

Most people miss the part that you get paid for generating the electricity, what is done with that electricity makes no difference to what you get paid!.

Edit to add link.
All the info you need can be found here.

http://www.goodenergy.co.uk/?utm_ca...e=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't understand why so many new builds do not have them as part of the construction. It is definitely something I'd be interested in installing - sure the outlay is quite expensive, but once installed, you can either keep it or pass onto the next owner. Irrespective of whether or not you get a ROI, it's helping us produce less electricity = less waste. I'm all for it.

A lot of them are starting to do it, it's a good way to be granted planning permission to build if you install green stuff on new builds.

Soldato
What region of the country are you in?

It irks me massively to see solar panel installations part-funded by my taxes even here in the north east, let alone when I go up to glorious Scotland :(

Yes they're a great way to save money on an individual level, but the huge subsidies piled into these have to come from someone's taxes somewhere.

Permabanned
I have two installations, one of 4 kW and one of 3.7kw. Between them I average around £600 a quarter in FIT.

I still get normal utility bills, but they are more than offset by the income from the Panels.

Soldato
OP
By chance, did the solar panel salesman tell you this?
No they didn’t. I came across it recently in the news after I had my panels fitted.

Germany apparently ran into a problem where it’s more a storage issue now. Solar Panels are massive over there and they need to come up with a solution to store energy for later use.

Germanys solar panel capacity has double on average every 18 months for years. On June 6th this year Germany produced over 24.24 gigawatt of power via panels which is approximately 50.6 percent of the electricity demand for them in 1 day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Germany
Some crazy numbers. Just goes to show what happens when a government wants to push green energy.

Soldato
Soldato
What region of the country are you in?

It irks me massively to see solar panel installations part-funded by my taxes even here in the north east, let alone when I go up to glorious Scotland :(

Yes they're a great way to save money on an individual level, but the huge subsidies piled into these have to come from someone's taxes somewhere.

Have you not seen the ones at Shotley Bridge near enough your area, or Ferryhill in County Durham which is ongoing consultation.

Back
Top Bottom