My employer wants to change the days I work, what are they allowed to do?

Permabanned
I think that's a fairly extreme exaggeration. It's fundamentally unlike slavery because it doesn't contain the defining feature of slavery - legal ownership. It has a bit more in common with indentured servitude, but it's not that either because it lacks the defining feature of indentured servitude - indenture. It's just partially restricted capitalism. Unrestricted capitalism would be bona fide slavery, of course.

This is why I said modern day slavery. To me this is exactly what some jobs are. You go in same time you work you go home. A lot of jobs you have timed toilet breaks, timed dinner and carrying out the job down to a T. Failure to do so your sacked. It is a little like slavery but obviously not like the old days.

Cool never knew the word flunkey. The noun is flunkeyism (for the ism fans out there) lol! I’ll be using this from now on.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Out of interest why have you chosen to be a "flunkey"?

If its got this sort of bleak outlook then surely do something a bit better? I mean I get that people sometimes have circumstances beyond their control at different points in their life but if you've got some time left before retirement then you could still gain some more qualifications or find something that pays better or has better conditions - why spend a big chunk of your waking hours doing something that is both mindless and damaging?

Because I'm not able to do better. My abilities are limited. The idea that everybody can do anything is not true. What I have is adequate and that's a lot better than many people have. I have an adequate home. I can pay my bills. I can save money and I have saved enough spare money to afford to deal with emergencies that might plausibly happen. I don't need to constantly worry about money, living hand to mouth. Been there, done that, quite happy about not being there any more. I live in an area that's quite nice. No violent criminals, that sort of thing. Way better than many areas. My life is OK and I appreciate that. I could even afford to buy a graphics card at today's prices! :)

Caporegime
Because I'm not able to do better. My abilities are limited.

I find that hard to believe, you seem pretty switched on on here tbh... I'd be very surprised if you weren't easily capable of gaining higher qualifications and doing something that makes more use of your mind and takes less of a toll on your health.

Sorry, don't mean to make the thread all about you. I was wondering if you were going to say that it is a deliberate choice and you like a simple life etc.. work for the basics, min 37.5 hours a week and spend most time on other interests etc.. rather than not feeling capable of doing better.

I'd certainly keep an open mind re: careers - new vocations do seem to pop up quite frequently these days.

Man of Honour
I find that hard to believe, you seem pretty switched on on here tbh... I'd be very surprised if you weren't easily capable of gaining higher qualifications and doing something that makes more use of your mind and takes less of a toll on your health.

Sorry, don't mean to make the thread all about you. I was wondering if you were going to say that it is a deliberate choice and you like a simple life etc.. work for the basics, min 37.5 hours a week and spend most time on other interests etc.. rather than not feeling capable of doing better.

I'd certainly keep an open mind re: careers - new vocations do seem to pop up quite frequently these days.

Perhaps it might be more accurate to say that my ability to apply my abilities is limited. My mental health is less than ideal. Which is a great improvement over what it was before the drugs and therapy. It's also true that the simple life thing applies, but how much of that is a free choice and how much of that is a requirement to maintain a workable degree of mental health? I certainly can't stand any pressure or responsibility. That's too much of a risk.

Ugly things, but my life is OK now and that will do. Sometimes I look back on what it was and wonder if it was me and if it was real because it makes no sense. And I fear it.

Maybe too much information there. I'd say "in vino veritas", but it's beer I've drunk, not wine :)

RxR

RxR

Soldato
That's a sad but stoic tale to hear Angilion. Though strictly speaking it is not necessary to decide, learn or do any different unless your situation does not meet your or yours' needs.

You seem sufficiently satisfied with all but the lingering concern of times passed, which I both sense (and know) is quite removable using the logical approach with which you are certainly knowledgeable and comfortable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom