My Experience With Laser Eye Surgery

Soldato
I'm going in for my last check up next week after I had mine done back in March. I was -8.75 in both eyes and now I can see perfectly. I do suffer a little bit from dry eyes at points but this is mainly late at night and my night vision isn't as good but it does seem to be improving. All in all I'd recommend it!

Man of Honour
Did you have Lasik? Not had any trouble / concern with sports after the "flap"?

I had LASIK with wavefront intralase etc....

I didn't play rugby for a month - after that I was back on there, getting punched in the eye with no issues :)

Apparently you're 99% healed within a couple of days - but you have to leave it a week as a matter of precaution. I waited a month - had my check up and they said (had they not known that I had had surgery) that there were no signs that I had had surgery. :)

Soldato
That's reassuring - the flap only ever heals around the perimeter however and that makes me feel a little funny about it. Supposedly it only ever gets back to about 30% of the eye's original strength but from the sounds of it, that's good enough to be pretty resilient.

Part of me wonders why anyone ever has Lasik when for a little bit more pain, you can retain the integrity of the eye by having Lasek? I'm confused.com!

Man of Honour
Well the way I saw it was that Lasik's been around longer and frankly, despite having had my head bashed a few times, it hasn't caused issues - I went recently (over 4 years since surgery) and again, they said that had they not known I had had surgery they'd have struggled to see any sign of it. I guess maybe I was lucky? Laskek I believe is still newer so people don't know the long term results?

Eitherway, it's been fab! :D

Caporegime
My missus had hers done about 7 yrs ago and she massively regrets it as she now suffers from massive migraines and they really are massive, in that if she gets a headache and doesnt take anything for it, it turns into a migraine which leaves her debilitated for a few days, sometimes even a week.

I asked her if she was sure that it was her eye surgery that caused it, to which she said yes because before she had the surgery, she never suffered from migraines etc.

She said it was the biggest mistake of her life, if she could she would undo the surgery and wear her specs/contacts.

Im thinking of getting mine done as well at some point but not if i end up with migraines as a result of the surgery.

Last edited:
Soldato
My missus had hers done about 7 yrs ago and she massively regrets it as she now suffers from massive migraines and they really are massive, in that if she gets a headache and doesnt take anything for it, it turns into a migraine which leaves her debilitated for a few days, sometimes even a week.

I asked her if she was sure that it was her eye surgery that caused it, to which she said yes because before she had the surgery, she never suffered from migraines etc.

She said it was the biggest mistake of her life, if she could she would undo the surgery and wear her specs/contacts.

Im thinking of getting mine done as well at some point but not if i end up with migraines as a result of the surgery.

Correlation doesn't necessarily indicate causation, so it could very well be a coincidence. I'm pretty sure modern science isn't still isn't quite sure what causes migraines.

Man of Honour
Their sight can get worse.
They can end up with very dry eyes and being dependent on eye drops for the rest of their lives.
They can have impared night vision with "halos" and glare, even when they had no problems of this nature before.

Of course their eyes gets worse. Laser eye superhero does not stop aging, it just rests the eye back to a good state.

As for the other two they don't take years to manifest and are known side effects. But don't affect a large portion.
And yes you are told these risks, and these risks are extremely well known and are talked about.

Soldato
Had my LASEK surgery just over 6 weeks now, right eye is doing a lot better whereas my left is still a bit off. I didn't realise LASEK has such a long recovery but I think in the end it will be worth it for me, just hated glasses and contacts

Caporegime
Correlation doesn't necessarily indicate causation, so it could very well be a coincidence. I'm pretty sure modern science isn't still isn't quite sure what causes migraines.

It could very well be but i can only believe what she tells me in that, having her eyes done has caused her to have migraines, which i know for a fact arent very nice as i have a few friends who suffer from them.

Some people have had migraines being alleviated by laser eye surgery. Everyone's different. Sorry to hear she's had issues. :(

Indeed and as i said, she wishes she could undo the surgery. Its more painful for me, seeing her lie in bed in total darkness and not being able to function properly. Most of the time she manages to control her migraines, soon as she has a headache coming on, she will take her meds ie extra strong paracetemol but sometimes she forgets and it causes havoc.

Caporegime
Who are these 'people' ? Everyone I know has had long term success, and no one I know has had any serious problems. Not once when these threads come up does anyone come on saying theirs didn't work. If you search for problems with *insert anything* on google then yes you will find people with problems.

"Everyone you know" to have had the surgery probably isn't enough data to draw conclusions.

Google "long term laser eye surgery effects" and you'll stumble across the potential pitfalls of the operation.

Remember I'm someone who also suffers from short-sightedness (-3.75, -4), so Laser Eye Surgery is something I've considered for myself. I'd like it to be a safe and reliable operation with predictable effects.

But from reading sites like this (and not _only_ this one):

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/TopTenReasons.htm

I've come to the conclusion that it's a gamble. Maybe there are good odds of success, but the whole thing is unpredictable.

Man of Honour
"Everyone you know" to have had the surgery probably isn't enough data to draw conclusions.

Google "long term laser eye surgery effects" and you'll stumble across the potential pitfalls of the operation.

Remember I'm someone who also suffers from short-sightedness (-3.75, -4), so Laser Eye Surgery is something I've considered for myself. I'd like it to be a safe and reliable operation with predictable effects.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a gamble. Maybe there are good odds of success, but the whole thing is unpredictable.

They have the odds massively out of kilter, not surprising seeing the name of website. It is nowhere near 20% for just dry eye.

The total percent of complications is around 5% and seriuse complications is around 0.2%

Associate
OP
One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is they have corrected my astigmatism as well. The only issues I am having after surgery is focusing on computer screens/books/small writing. It can become out of focus and blurry but this is down to the astigmatism being corrected and will get better with time. I can already see a big difference from looking at a computer this week compared to last :)

Obviously its a gamble, its surgery!

But as I said websites popping up can contrive all sorts of statistics to suit their own ends. When I said 'everyone i know' i also pointed out the complete lack of people popping up on these types of threads with problems. A somewhat broader number to draw a conclusion.

I am certain I could google a few sites that would tell you never to go to a dentist due to the risks of having your teeth out. Its simply down to the individual to make the decision.

Caporegime
Since this thread is incredibly one-sided, I feel I ought to say something to balance it.

I've done my own research on Laser eye surgery, of which there are more than one procedure.

To cut a long story short, most people report short term success. However, after the first year or two people start having complications.

Their sight can get worse.
They can end up with very dry eyes and being dependent on eye drops for the rest of their lives.
They can have impared night vision with "halos" and glare, even when they had no problems of this nature before.

But these symptoms can take months or years to manifest.

I'm sorry this is probably not what you want to hear but it's necessary to say. Everybody is very impressed immediately after the surgery. What you will never get told about is the people who end up regretting the surgery several years later.

For this reason I personally will not have it done.

one thing to remember though is

"one satisfied customer will tell 3 others, one dissatisfied customer will tell 10 others."

Soldato
I had it done in May 2010 Lasik and then Lasek on right eye redone March this year and then left 3 weeks ago also Lasek for an enhancement. Defo not without complications. My prescription was just shy of-5. Right eye is now awesome and left eye is defo getting their vision gets poor later on in the day but still post op 3 weeks with longer recovery expected.

I've had dry eye symptoms but take flaxseed supplements daily.

Better than glasses.... Without a doubt :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Is it true then that if you take the plunge you will require reading glasses though you are ok at the moment with reading?

Back
Top Bottom