My first cooking thread! Slow roasted pork belly with crispy crackling

Caporegime
Hi all

As per http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=13990088&postcount=10, I made a tender but crispy pork belly joint on Saturday. It's a great recipe as the pork tastes incredible but is very cheap, £3.50 for this joint which will just about feed four people (can't remember the weight of it), and you can probably get it even cheaper.

Here's how to do it.

Untie the joint and chuck the strings. Most belly joints come tied in a cylinder shape, but I cook this one flat as the crackling is far better. Score the skin two ways to create a criss-cross pattern. You can do this after drying the skin in the fridge but it's easier when the skin is moist. Don't go down to the flesh as it will dry it when it cooks. The skin protects the flesh from direct heat in the oven
img4963p.jpg

Leave the pork with the skin exposed in the fridge for at least 48 hours and preferably for 4 days to dry the skin out. Use layering tissue to cover the flesh to protect it from drying out
img4958q.jpg

Coarsely grind a tablespoon of rock or sea salt in a pestle and mortar
img4969i.jpg

And liberally cover the skin, rubbing the salt into the cracks (snigger)
img4970y.jpg

Crush some black pepper in the mortar and season the underside with salt, pepper, garlic, and chopped rosemary (or stab bits of rosemary into the flesh)
img4976j.jpg

Press some kitchen foil firmly onto the meat side. This compresses the seasoning and holds the herbs in place whilst cooking
img4979m.jpg

Then flip it over to create the foil nest. This protects the meat and also allows the meat to cook in its own juices. It's like a self-baster. Over the course of the 4 hour cooking time, this creates a lovely crust on the bottom of the meat
img4982j.jpg

Drizzle with a little olive oil
img4984n.jpg

Wack it in the preheated oven, fan oven temps: 125 degrees C for 3.5 hours, then 200 degrees for 20-25 minutes to crisp up the crackling (hopefully your oven is cleaner than ours!)
img4987y.jpg

It's not necessary if you've done it right, but if the crackling needs a little help, cut the crackling layer off and put it under a medium grill for ten minutes while the pork is resting in the cooling oven

2 hrs in
img4991.jpg

Guinea pig not loving the cooking of her namesake
img4994d.jpg

4 hours in, ready to rest for 20 minutes
img4997y.jpg

The underside, almost as nice as the crackling
img4998r.jpg

Sliced, pork meat is still perfectly tender
img4999u.jpg

...and served with jersey royal potatoes tossed in parsley and butter, broccoli, and a crème fraîche and white wine sauce
img5001b.jpg

My main advice if you try this is - don't take shortcuts, as the crackling will suffer! It might also be worth rotating the roasting tray every hour if you've got an old / bad oven, because as you can see, one side of my crackling has crisped up better than the other.

Cheers

Man of Honour
Looks great. Pork belly is so so tasty and so cheap. As people think cheap meat is horrible. Cheap meat has so much more flavour than expensive cuts.

I would sit it on a bed of veg though, so you can make a great gravy and where your roast veg. Also a couple of caramelised apple slices goes so well. Slice a cox apple into thick slices dust with dark sugar and roast for 10-15minutes. Much tastier than apple sauce.

Permabanned
Cor, that looks gorgeous! Lol at the cute guinea pig.
I'm feeling hungry now for the leg of lamb roasting in the oven and the baby corn, green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauli and jersey royals waiting to be steamed.
I've already cracked open a bottle of wine - cheers! :D

Associate
I love these cooking threads.

Really good effort there.

Nice interjection of comedy value - rodent.

A little shy on the potato and greens content thou.

Thanks!

Don
I do it pretty similar, 140C for 3hrs then 180C for 1 hr

also give it 5-10 mins under grill at end to make the crackling even better

Permabanned
looks very nice,and I almost sense the smell of that " belly pork" here
(but today I´m done,I had a party lunch in a friends home followed by a anniversary party snack, until now ,eheh)
completely full,:D

Back
Top Bottom