• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My god its so big, the warehouse canna take it!!!

Permabanned
Gibbo, if you stack these against a wall again i will have to shoot you on site, doing something as stupid as that to £500+ cards is FAIL.. im supprised you still work at ocuk...

Associate
4870x2 rrp £330, how much I got one for a week after launch, £330, cost of 2x 4870 1gb's which weren't out yet, £420.

5970, rrp £440, very little supply, horrible gouging by stores, £550ish on launch, cost of 2x5870 1gb's £600.

6990 rrp ??? no issue with supply of 6970 cores, at all, not even slightly, no price gouging on the 6970/50, cost of 2x 6970's £530.

Judging on previous releases the RRP will be somewhere in the vicinity of £425-450, I'd still expect slower supply for a couple weeks so you'd be mad to buy till theres consistantly stock on the shelves and the prices adjust to that.

Basically I expect similar pricing to 5970 as it would have been without TSMC screwing up a 6 week supply of cores.

More people like you should keep posting and give people like me hope :D I really don't want to stretch to 600 but I know I will.

Soldato
Gibbo, if you stack these against a wall again i will have to shoot you on site, doing something as stupid as that to £500+ cards is FAIL.. im supprised you still work at ocuk...

:confused: I'm assuming much care is taken with the Gibbo pyramids and he's still working for OCuk because of his epic negotiating skills with the suppliers and his ability to attract new customers with awesome offers...

Soldato
:confused: I'm assuming much care is taken with the Gibbo pyramids and he's still working for OCuk because of his epic negotiating skills with the suppliers and his ability to attract new customers with awesome offers...

Lol liabilities:p

Gibbo you are so lucky getting your hands on all the latest tech first:(.

Caporegime
You do realise that a single card CrossFire card functions better than 2 seperate cards and the thermal solution would need to be better

No it doesn't.
It's been proven time and time again that internal Crossfire doesn't scale as well as two individual cards.
Point in question, 5850's in Xfire V.S a 5970, it's pretty much 5850 Xfire = Win, with the exception of a FEW titles, Crysis to be one.

Permabanned
No it doesn't.
It's been proven time and time again that internal Crossfire doesn't scale as well as two individual cards.
Point in question, 5850's in Xfire V.S a 5970, it's pretty much 5850 Xfire = Win, with the exception of a FEW titles, Crysis to be one.

huh?

a 5970 out does a 5850 xfire setup easy...

my 5970 out runs most 5870 crossfire setups

Caporegime
You do realise that a single card CrossFire card functions better than 2 seperate cards and the thermal solution would need to be better

Less components used in a single card than 2 seperate cards, 1 pcb as opposed to 2 as well. Also 2 seperate cards will most likely be faster as this is bound to be downlocked compared to crossfired 6970. Crossfire scaling isn;t going to magically improve because theeres 2 cores on one card, its still essentially crossfire on a card.

Last edited:
Caporegime
huh?

a 5970 out does a 5850 xfire setup easy...

my 5970 out runs most 5870 crossfire setups

Your opinion doesn't count, because it's more of an angry ghetto kid screaming.
And I'm on about stock V.S stock.
And no stock 5970 set up will beat a stock 5870 Crossfire set up.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/303?vs=297

In *THOSE* set of results, you see them being stupidly close.

In *THESE* results, it shows the same story with more benchmarks

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5970-review-test/1

Soldato
I can't be the only one that's noticed the HIS 6990 in the "Latest Products" section on the store front right?

2quk67c.gif

(second from bottom, right hand column)

Caporegime
Seriously, I mean, seriously? Hope you shopped that, I was never going to buy one anyway, I'm trying to silence my 6950, I have room to add anotehr 6950 if I want, with a proper silent cooler(once I sort out vrm cooling) you can have 2x1000Mhz + 6970 cores with ease, and with being barely able to hear them.

You've literally have to be an idiot to spend over £450 on one of these, even thats a stretch as 6950's unlock, if they didn't £450 is what I'd expect, due to the fact the 6950 unlocks, frankly I wouldn't pay more than 2x6950's, which right now is much closer to £400.

Theres positives for one card over two, but more negatives, heat and noise are the two biggest issues, saving space is really a non issue.

Soldato
Seriously, I mean, seriously? Hope you shopped that, I was never going to buy one anyway, I'm trying to silence my 6950, I have room to add anotehr 6950 if I want, with a proper silent cooler(once I sort out vrm cooling) you can have 2x1000Mhz + 6970 cores with ease, and with being barely able to hear them.

You've literally have to be an idiot to spend over £450 on one of these, even thats a stretch as 6950's unlock, if they didn't £450 is what I'd expect, due to the fact the 6950 unlocks, frankly I wouldn't pay more than 2x6950's, which right now is much closer to £400.

Theres positives for one card over two, but more negatives, heat and noise are the two biggest issues, saving space is really a non issue.

This.

But unfortunately its going to be "early adoption fever" over the next few days. This launch has been highly anticipated, i mean just look at the number of "6990, when?" threads that have appeared the past few weeks. Some people will pay the silly money though just to have it, it just the way things are :(

Back
Top Bottom