My Golf R Estate has arrived

[TW]Fox;28797978 said:
Whereas your 28 minutes were basically like attending a rock concert?

None of these economy records are ever the result of a thrilling drive, lets be honest.
Flippant Fox

Keeping the mind actively focused on achieving something during a dull commute feels pretty good..... But to do it for over 150 minutes, that takes serious restraint.

Using cruise to acheive your highest mpg; that'll be why you get useless MPG then.

Unless your cruise can anticipate traffic, junctions, hills etc etc :p

How long was the total wait for the Golf from order to delivery out of interest?

I ordered the car on 30th April and it was delivered on 2nd November.
So, 27 weeks / 6 months.

Initially I was given an August delivery date but that moved back to September and then October.

The Macan was another £20k + options and it's got less boot space. There is no doubt a Porsche badge is more Gucci though.

The Macan is nice but you pay for it.
The recently announced Macan GTS is £55k base, you need to add £4k of options to get it up to the standard spec of the Golf R. Then it's a touch slower with less space and 400kg more weight.

It's a lot of compromise for a posher badge.

Sport Chrono is £800 for a stop watch and launch control. That's another option to add which comes as standard on the Golf R.

Timed runs on a standard Estate have shown 0-62 in 4.8 sec can be done.i posted the video in the Motors YouTube thread.

3rd gear on the R comes in at around 55mph.

0-60 Hundredths are probably not noticeable day to day. It's the feel and fun factor where Porsche usually triumph but the extra 400kg weight is challenging that aspect. That's going to take some engineering to mask.

Here is the 4.8 video

Last edited:
Estates and SUV's are pretty similar, the only difference being a few cm's ground clearance.

Last time I looked there was significant differences between a saloon and estate.

Someone looking at an estate wants more boot space, a wide and high loading area and easy drop seats. None of which a Saloon offers but everything a SUV has.

Get out of your bubble.

It's more likely someone considering an estate car is also going to consider an SUV, than a saloon.

'In other news' people like to transport other items which are not cases. Like bikes, rubbish, tents, buggies, dogs etc etc

Last edited:
Annoyingly it will be her car allowance buying it but she travels on the train 99% of the time and I do 99% of the home/family driving.
Is her allowance coming from her work company? If so the 26% Benefit In Kind tax on the Golf R Hatch could be a blocker on the cost side. (20% taxpayer = £142 per month tax)

Last edited:
The only annoying thing I have found so far on the car is the controls to change the radio station. You cannot cycle through your selected tuned station list using the on wheel buttons - it cycles through all of the available stations (100+) :(
Also, the touch screen interface is harder to use over the iDrive system. You tend to find the road surface/bumps makes it hard to accurately select areas on the screen, whilst concentrating on driving.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom