My GPU fans spin to 100% whenever a game is loading

Soldato
try locking your frame rate to 60fps and re run games if the fan dosnt spin up to 100% try increasing the refresh rate until you get problems with gpu fan noise, once you've reached max refresh rate with no gpu fan reving that will sort the issue

Associate
OP
GPU Tweak II is showing that my fans at 0% until it hits 55 degrees whereupon it goes up to 45% fan usage. I suspect between loading screens/pause menus my GPU is suddenly going above this threshhold and starting the fans up, then they go back below 55 degrees and it stops. Question is why is it so loud?

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you set up some kind of custom fan curve in the AMD drivers? I'd suggest uninstalling any third party graphics apps (like Afterburner or GPU Tweak) and resetting the Radeon Setting back to default to see what happens.

Associate
OP
Have you set up some kind of custom fan curve in the AMD drivers? I'd suggest uninstalling any third party graphics apps (like Afterburner or GPU Tweak) and resetting the Radeon Setting back to default to see what happens.

I'm not sure that'll help, given I had this issue on my old GTX 970 after switching to a new mobo, which indicates to me the problem is the mobo rather than a bottleneck with my old CPU (which I also switched out when I got a new mobo, i5 3570 to i5 8600k).

Last edited:
Soldato
Both the AMD Radeon setting and GPU Tweak have settings for this, so I would not be surprised if they are interfering with each other.

I've never heard of a motherboard causing the GPU fans to spin up on a discrete GPU. The fans on the GPU are controlled by the GPU, nothing to do with the motherboard. The fans will only spin due to load/temp on the GPU, and any changes you've made in the utilities that control the GPU.

I'd suggest trying the board in another motherboard, but I think that would work and be misleading, as you'd also be running on a system that isn't misconfigured like yours is somewhere. You'd probably have to do a clean install on a spare hard drive to truly prove it's your setup and not the motherboard.

Have you updated the motherboard BIOS yet?

Associate
OP
Both the AMD Radeon setting and GPU Tweak have settings for this, so I would not be surprised if they are interfering with each other.

I've never heard of a motherboard causing the GPU fans to spin up on a discrete GPU. The fans on the GPU are controlled by the GPU, nothing to do with the motherboard. The fans will only spin due to load/temp on the GPU, and any changes you've made in the utilities that control the GPU.

I'd suggest trying the board in another motherboard, but I think that would work and be misleading, as you'd also be running on a system that isn't misconfigured like yours is somewhere. You'd probably have to do a clean install on a spare hard drive to truly prove it's your setup and not the motherboard.

Have you updated the motherboard BIOS yet?

The problem is that my previous card GTX 970 started displaying this same behaviour once I switched mobos. If it was my card, then it would not have been an issue when I switched mobos... only becoming an issue upon switching GPUs.

I will try uninstalling Tweak II but I don't think it'll make a difference.

I haven't got round to upgrading the BIOS since it doesn't appear it will make a difference.

I refuse to believe that my card did not exceed 55 degrees with my i5 3570, since I remember seeing it at 99% usage often with Rivatuner in games... thus it would have kicked in the GPU fans. I have no recollection of hearing the fans however... and considering how noisy even 40% is with both cards tested on this mobo, it makes me think something is wrong with the reported RPMs and actual RPMs, since both this card and my gtx 970 on this board are exhibiting this problem.

Associate
OP
Now I'm not so sure it is my GPU fan. I've been monitoring and it could be a system fan or even my CPU fan. All I know is the fan curves show a reasonable curve to 80 degrees for my GPU in AMD Settings WattMan, CPU and system fans in BIOS... but it doesn't matter, because whatever the temperature is during the game doesn't start this problem. It happens whenever I pause, or a game loads... a fan in my system is becoming very loud for only a second or two.

I don't think there is a solution here besides my mobo being faulty and needing replacing.

Back
Top Bottom