My heating thermostat is in the wrong place!

Associate
Ideally you want the room thermostat in the coldest room in the house and traditionally that's been the hallway. However if the coldest room is your living room then that it's fine. You then regulate the temp in the other rooms using the TRVs.

Associate
Just to make it really simple. You balance all the rads (with the trvs open at max) so all the rooms heat up at the same rate to achieve whatever the stat is set to.

This isn't quite right. See my post above. You balance the radiators so that they all heat up at the same rate (with an 11 degree/20 degree flow/return differential for non-condensing/condensing boilers), and if the rads are sized correctly to the room, this ensures the rooms heat up equally.

Because if the boiler ends up running, with all the rads off (TRVs closed) where is the heat going to go? That's right, back to the boiler. Combi boilers have a MINIMUM flow rate.

On a 2 pipe system, there is no direct return to the boiler - if there was, that would be the path of least resistance, and the radiators would barely warm up. This is why you ensure at least one radiator has no TRV installed and this is the one located where the thermostat is, so that it turns the boiler off once the stat reaches temperature, and any other time it continues to have flow through it.

You also need to have an automatic bypass valve installed and set correctly - this is to maintain minimum flow rates through the boiler as TRV's shut down, and also ensures circulation is possible in the case where zone valves have shut down, but the boiler continues to fire (this should not ordinarily happen in a system setup and functioning correctly).

Associate
OP
A seperate wireless theromostat would do the job ensuring MY room stays at the correct temprature but would not help me control the other rooms.

I know technically I can 'balance' the system buy turning up/down the manual thermostatic valves on all the radiators in each room. Iv tried this, it does not work because there are to many variables. Eg some rooms loose heat faster than others. Sometimes we keep other doors that lead on to the landing closed and other times they are open. The 'balancing' only works if each room retains/dissipates heat the same and we keep all doors open/closed all the time.

Digital TVR system as recommended by @JRJ and @fezster seems to be the way forward to allow me to independanty control each room. £180 for thermostat & hub. I have 7 radiators upstairs so thats circa £300.

£500 total! :o

1) How do I upload a picture - I want to show you my floor layout. (15+ years as a forum member and iv never uploaded a pic!!!)

2) Is Hive and Tado the main companies to do this type of set up?

Associate
Drayton wiser. Sometimes there are offers to get the system a lot cheaper.

Personally, I found that unless I kept doors closed, the individual room heating didn't work as expected, so I ended up giving it back and just having 2 x nest thermostats (upstairs and downstairs).

Associate
Turn the room stat up, that will allow the boiler to keep running and heating the other rooms which will use their trv’s to then turn off when up to temp. Only downside Is hall will be a lot warmer than usual

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
@Yucca Start small find a system you like most do starter packs like this use the two valves on the coldest rooms and slowly add to it over time, you can grab the valves on offer most months.

My Heatmiser system is nearing the £1k on controllers, cables and stats but it'll give me full control of every room.

Back
Top Bottom