My Honda Insight Gen1

Really like this thread. I never realised how geeky these things were to get into

Gf would have a fit though

Whats it like for long distances and refinement?

Hey are certainly a geeks car, but they are 15 yrs ahead of anyone else.

I drove it to Scotland two years ago. Bit slow on the motorway but then the battery was having issues so was forcing regen. I got about 70 mpg ove the 700 mile trip and it was like a limpet in the snow, skinny tyres and light.

The 3cylinder sounds great too. Honestly.

You can get proper tyres Bugone. The RE92 are available in the states. Lean burn is easier and they are about 1kg lighter than other tyres.

Oh and you sound just as geeky as Jonny with all the little mods :p

It'll be interesting to see how yours compares to Johnnycoupe's Insight, if he's still got it.

Still got it, Im not quite doing the miles I used to but it owes me nothing so may aswell keep hold of it. Too many things to do but I've got two of those kid things so tinker time is limited! Took me 7months between getting my fresher battery and fitting it!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17982674&highlight=aluminium+username_jonnycoupe

Recent mod for mine was the MY05 clear side repeaters - £5 each from Honda :p

Hey are certainly a geeks car, but they are 15 yrs ahead of anyone else.

I drove it to Scotland two years ago. Bit slow on the motorway but then the battery was having issues so was forcing regen. I got about 70 mpg ove the 700 mile trip and it was like a limpet in the snow, skinny tyres and light.

The 3cylinder sounds great too. Honestly.

You can get proper tyres Bugone. The RE92 are available in the states. Lean burn is easier and they are about 1kg lighter than other tyres.

Oh and you sound just as geeky as Jonny with all the little mods :p

this is the only sort of eco car i could justify getting rid of a fast car for because it isnt a half hearted attempt at being eco

only thing stopping me would be GF whinging about not having things like nice seats, climate control, heated seats and a load of shove under her right foot

Its got climate! I still get my fast car fixes so Im okay. It actually really puts me off running a typical car as this is more than quick enough for a typical commute - Id just find it annoying. Id say the car is about as quick as a A3 TDi 140bhp. Although through the lanes the other day i was somewhat shocked overtaking a tractor behind a passat VR5 and it had to move over to let me continue past as i was going collected him :eek:

And another petrolhead falls by the wayside. Tis a sad day, but I and the others will endeavour to fight the cause with incessant sub 15mpg hoons.

Seriously though - whatever floats your boat :)
Don't worry, my other car would struggle to get 15mpg. :p

A commute is a commute. The cheaper I can do it, the better. If I can have some fun on the way, then why not.

The car won't go anywhere on just batteries. It's just there to assist the petrol engine. It stores the energy from braking and puts it back into acceleration.

For example, in 5th putting your foot to the floor returns the same economy as having it half down. You're just using more battery.

I had skinny tyres on it before. The conti's offer much much more grip. I can now drive it with confidence. Before I was always having the rear slide about.

Back
Top Bottom