My Honda Insight Gen1

Depends if you use CO2 or MPG or straight forward MJ. Diesel of course having 12% more energy per gallon.

Insight is 83.1 combines and 94.2 on extra urban. That said the Yaris Hybrid is only 80.7 MPG combined despite a lower CO2. Full hybrid EV mode for the urban segment provides some skew.

Dunno if any NEDC cycle portions are higher than 94.2 mpg? That's where the aero benefit really pays off.

Last edited:
Depends if you use CO2 or MPG or straight forward MJ. Diesel of course having 12% more energy per gallon.

Insight is 83.1 combines and 94.2 on extra urban. That said the Yaris Hybrid is only 80.7 MPG combined despite a lower CO2. Full hybrid EV mode for the urban segment provides some skew.

Dunno if any NEDC cycle portions are higher than 94.2 mpg? That's where the aero benefit really pays off.
Well, I guess he meant most fuel efficient, rather than least polluting, or most cost efficient etc.

Checking the i20 is 94.2 MPG Extra-Urban, with the MiTo 1.3 managing 97.2 MPG / 2.9 l/100km!

I guess it's done pretty well to hold on for so long; it's only recently we've seen a slug of types showing sub-100g/km!

I think we'll see diesel vehicles leading the mainstream for some time, diesel/petrol hybrids in tow, with EVs uncompetitive for some years. I was looking at how some of the newer ones stack up and they are jokes tbh, though that's partly stoked by the industry itself.

That's pretty cool - I like the solar panels idea though I'm sure it's not a a priority there must be a way of making them look..er..neater? :p
They are now perfect aligned and permanently fixed. That picture was my early 'test' fitting.
Is the i20 1.1 CRDi manual more fuel efficient? It's 88.3 MPG / 3.2 l/100km.
I guess it depends if you take manufacturers figures as world mpg.

The main difference for me, is that this wasn't creates as a budget Eco box. No doubt if a manufacturer was to put together a lightweight aerodynamic aluminium chassis, a super efficient diesel engine and a plug in hybrid system - they would get even better real world economy.

Something like the the VW XL1. It does look mightily similar to the Insight.

And how much does it cost to charge?
No idea. I if i can charge it during the day, nothing.

SolarHouse.jpg

The charger is 300ma at 175v, and I have it on for 3 hours. N idea what that would work out at. Probably not much.
What happens when it needs new batteries? How much?
I'm still n the original batteries. Grid charging helps prolong their life. A new set from Honda is about £3k, but there are some other people offering improved packs for about £2k. I'd probably install lithiums instead if I was going to replace them. The are a few people running these with moderate success at the moment

I love it had a look for one of these when trying to find a hybrid but as you said they are very rare. I manage 65mpg in the prius but since winter has dropped down to 53mpg so quite a drop in the cold seen a few guys doing what you have and blocking grills and fitting pipes on the us prius forums might need to give it a bash seeing as yours is working with that awesome 101mpg so it clearly does something:D

I love it had a look for one of these when trying to find a hybrid but as you said they are very rare. I manage 65mpg in the prius but since winter has dropped down to 53mpg so quite a drop in the cold seen a few guys doing what you have and blocking grills and fitting pipes on the us prius forums might need to give it a bash seeing as yours is working with that awesome 101mpg so it clearly does something:D
Realistically, I'm getting 65pmg - 85pmg at the moment depending on whether I'm in a hurry or not. Keeping it in lean mode makes a heck of a difference to the economy, but your really have to fether the throttle and accept that your following the lorries.

I guess it depends if you take manufacturers figures as world mpg.
Sure, but I don't think you're getting the Honda figure in the real world either :p

Personally, I think these are almost 'too economical'? Once you go beyond about 50 MPG, the sacrifices to make the cost savings mean you really need to be driving eleventybillion miles per year to make the pound-notes difference worthwhile. From a new-buy perspective I'm not sure I'd choose one.

I'd agree with that. It's like a logarithmic scale.

Same with MPG if you do 1 mile at 100mpg and 1 at 50mpg you only average 66.7mpg rather than what might be expected of 75mpg!

Mine being only 2 seats means I can't really use at the weekends either so something less efficient might end up meaning my household uses less fuel overall.

From a new-buy perspective I'm not sure I'd choose one.
Not many people did. That's why they're so rare.

Back when petrol was 50p per litre, the car just didn't make sense. It's was quite expensive as well. When this was launched, even owning a diesel was seen as something for real tight fisted saddo's, so this would have been an epic fail of a buy new. :p

NewBits.jpg

Added a few more bits this weekend. I've added a few easy to reach switches that when complete will give me engine disable / full regen / electric disabled.

So far, only the electric disabled switch is fully wired up. The full regen I'm going to wire up with a relay as will need to take the current of the brake lights, and the engine disable will be a fuse breaker, so am waiting for a fuse adapter to turn up.

I've also added another stalk that controls the headunit. The touchscreen is all well and good, but sometimes it's nice just to have a button, so you can skip tracks without having to look exactly where your pressing.

Back
Top Bottom