• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My horrible RMA experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
So I recently sent in my MSI Ventus RTX 3080 in for an RMA and was asked in an email if I would like a replacement of an rtx 4070ti which I was pleased about or a refund of only £379.16. so obviously I choose the 4070ti. Only to be emailed back 30 minutes later stating that there was a miscommunication and the only option was a refund. At this point, I'm completely dumbfounded as what to do since there's no way I can get a GPU even remotely as good as the price of £379.16. any advice on what to do?

The RMA is being handled through Overclockers UK.

Will keep you updated.

Conclusion
I've been offered the 4070ti that I was originally offered :D, and OcUK said they are taking steps to ensure similar problems won't happen again.

I wanna thank Gibbo and everyone in this thread who gave their time, input, and voice. As I wouldn't have known what to do otherwise!

Alex J

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. As of now I've submitted another online ticket to talk to someone again, as a refund of £379.16 is just unbelievable. I'll update when I hear back again
Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys, glad to know that I wasn't the only one feeling quite discouraged by this. It's a shame as I've had nothing but great experiences with OCUK in the past

Update on the RMA
Overclockers are unfortunately doubling down on the fact that I can only take a refund they stated below
"Damian (Overclockers UK)

22 Apr 2023, 13:14 CEST

Hi Alex

Thanks for getting back to us regarding this,

Yes unfortunately it doesn't look like we have any other 3080s in stock and with them being end of life now we would only be able to process the partial refund on this,"

I have still refused as of now as this feels like a slap in the face unfortunately

EDIT: REMOVED COMMENT DUE TO INACCURACY REGARDING RIGHT TO REJECT

I hadn't realised that the right to reject clause is only short term and only applies as I'd described if the warranty claim/request is raised within 6 months.

OP should by the least let us know when they purchased the 3080, and at what price so we can provide better advice. Sorry if my previous iteration of this comment gave false hope. But I still stand by the the offer of a £380 refund being insulting given the market value of the RTX 3080. given a warranty repair is possible, it isn't fair to jump to refunding that amount where they'll be very unlikely to obtain an equivalent card.

This isn't really from a legal standpoint as we don't know OP's full situation regarding the amount they paid, and the time taken between purchasing the gpu and raising the warranty claim, but moreso from a judgement of fairness and equity, where the robustness of the goods are in question, and as such there's a possible breach of CRA 2015 as has been correctly identified by Shroud below. As a consumer, buying a gpu with a 3 year warranty gives the impression of robustness, graphics cards aren't ought to fail within the first year or two, there aren't any moving parts that would cause catastrophic failure if they developed a fault. This is just my POV, from a legal standpoint, there are different arguments from both sides. But in my opinion, again provided the clauses that refer to robustness, it's unfair to call a gpu failure within the minimum UK 2 year warranty period reasonable enough to not be able to at least get a repair.

A lot of this is exactly what the others in this thread have said, I guess my adjustment of my initial method is just reaffirmation of the points made regarding entitlement to a working product and fair treatment, and I wanted to give commentary on my opinion regarding the way this makes OcUK look as a retailer.

Personally, I've been fortunate with all my graphics cards, having owned at least 6 different second hand graphics cards which have been through their own runs for at least a year each BEFORE buying, then at least another year afterwards, and I've owned 4 brand new graphics cards including my current 3070 Ti which has been serving me since July 2021 no problems. The longest running card I've now passed down to my youngest brother, an MSI GTX 970 which I've owned since 2017. Basically, in my experience I'd say that a GPU lasting under 2 years, especially a high value Nvidia xx80 card is an insult to longevity. If I have to worry about losing money on a GPU I bought 6-7 months ago, it's not worth bothering or wasting money on it in the first place....
So I originally bought the GPU on 16.09.2020, with a 3-year warranty that I registered on the MSI website when it arrived. So when the fault appeared I contacted MSI directly and asked if my GPU was still under warranty, to which they stated "Warranty is still active until 09/11/2023". I then asked what step I needed to take next to start the RMA process. So MSI told me to contact the retailer directly. So I then emailed OCUK who acknowledged my problem and sent me a delivery stamp. When OCUK received the GPU they checked the fault itself and told me they were going to send it off to the manufacturer for repair, and for me to message them in 28 days if I've heard nothing back. So I waited 28 days and then messaged them, which is when they offered a replacement 4070ti and then retracted it as a "miscommunication" and said they could only offer me a partial refund, which leads us to where we are now.

thanks for the reply :)

Last edited:
Update

Just received a new reply from an email I sent a few days ago when I created this thread, asking how the refund is calculated with the reply of

Hi Alex,

After 6 months of ownership the card's value is decreased based on general usage and length of ownership.

The refund is calculated based on the length of time you have owned the item.

Based on this fact the refund is the value mentioned. I do apologise that i mistakenly offered an item we cannot issue.

In this instance this is all we can offer.

Last edited:
That's the sort of service that has made me shop elsewhere more recently too... Terrible. Sorry if I missed it in the thread but did you buy with credit card?
Unfortunately not

Although Gibbo an OCUK staff member has passed on my RMA info to management so I do believe I'm still to hear more

Last edited:
Don't think this consumer rights is any different at OcUK to anywhere else and as I say has always resulted in happy customers typically, but times are a touch different right now and I've reached out to management and MSI to see if something different on this occasion can be done. We have procedures which I am following, I am sure in the end a favourable outcome will come for Alex J.
I truly appreciate your help on this, thank you

Last edited:
Hi guys

So I believe we've come to a conclusion. I've been offered the 4070ti that I was originally offered :D, and OcUK said they are taking steps to ensure similar problems won't happen again.

I wanna thank Gibbo and everyone in this thread who gave their time, input, and voice. As I wouldn't have known what to do otherwise!

Alex J

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom