My Lancer EVO FQ360 experience......

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I've had my test drive this afternoon in a brand new FQ360, it was so new that it only had 17 miles on the clock so the dealership told me not to thrash the hell out of and be gentle on the brakes.

So I was short changing up at 6000rpm, redline is 7000 so was getting a good idea of the power delivery etc. etc. The brakes look identical to what I have on the Stang.

First of all the dealer demonstrated the acceleration and levels of grip the car provides. Then it was my turn.

So let me start of with looks and interior. Looks wise its not really my thing but it sure does look a rather menacing and aggressive car with clean lines. Interior was very basic, even more so over the Mustang but the seats were comfy and extremely supportive. It did not feel cheap but was basic, no toys or anything you get whats required, but the car did have aircon.

Steering was far better than I expected, for a 4WD drive car it certainly felt weighty and there was some communication from the road and the steering was quick and precise so it gets a thumbs up there as its practically as good as the Mustang.

Power delivery is pretty good, there is a little bit of lag below 2000-2500rpm but the power comes in smoothly after this and gets rather ferocious beyond 3500-4000rpm making the car feel far quicker than it actually is. Infact it felt practically as quick as the Mustang when the turbo was at full song, but upon looking at the speedo it was not going round in the same kind of fashion as the Mustang would. I did some in-gear acceleration watching the speedo/road and the speedo went round quite a bit slower than that of the Mustangs but it felt as quick, thats turbo rush/surge for you. Obviously as this car gets more miles on the clock it will loosen up some more and no doubt become a little quicker, plus there was an extra 1500rpm or so that I was not using.

Brakes had fantastic initial bite but did not seem to get any stronger but I did not want to push into the brakes to harsh as they were not bed-in yet so I am guessing they would be as good as those in the Mustang once bedded in.

Handling well this felt fantastic, the car changed direction very quickly and within 10 minutes of driving I was turning into a hooligan. This car makes you stop respecting the laws of physics. I drove it on my normal route to work and back and I was doing some crazy things on roundabouts that you would not dream of doing in a RWD motor. I feel a car like this would definetely win a race to the pub because it is very quick over short distances, roundabouts etc. etc. You could literally throw this car into roundabouts and just keep your foot in it and steer, I was becoming a hooligan and had only been driving the car for about 15 minutes or so.

I've never got into a car and been able to drive it smoothly, fast literally within a minute of getting into it. There was no getting used to the clutch, gearbox it was a case of just get in and drive like a loon. The EVO certainly flatters the driver because I was going very quickly but not really having to try and do so.

So yeah if you want to race around town, do silly speeds around roundabouts then in my view nothing will touch one, not even in the dry. The sales guy was saying that if it had been raining I could still have driven it just as hard without issue, I was amazed by this.

So for me I don't particulary like the looks, the interior is basic but fine to live with and its obviously seems to lack performance/acceleration past around the 80-90mph mark.

The good points are its power delivery is rather ferocious which make it feel stupidly quick, it feels a lot quicker than an M5 and practically as quick as the Stang, but the speedo tells a different story.
The handling is fantastic and the steering is good however this could also be said to be bad because the car lets you get away with murder and as such the challenges of driving fast dissapear in the EVO and as such the fun element of car control disspears which is also bad.
Even though the suspension is stiff, its fine for commuting I found and the seats are fantastic. The car sounds fantastic on boost, makes a real aggressive woooooshhhhhhhh noise and very loud too, exhaust looked non standard but it was a stock car.

The price of an FQ360 is 35k new, which I think is too much money for this type of car but the sales guy was telling me that the difference between an FQ340 and FQ360 on the road is not noticable but the price difference is huge. He is gonna get back to me with some FQ340 pricing.

For me the FQ360 felt quicker than the Z4M Coupe I drove but from the way the speedo went round they seemed similar. The suspension setup and harshness was similar on both and the Coupe had slightly better steering feel and was more fun due to RWD but I think on a roundabout and quite possibly on a track the EVO would probably be quicker especially in the hands of someone who is not a driving god. In comparison to the STANDARD M3's I've driven the FQ360 seems a better handling package and would imagine the EVO to be a lot quicker on the track, however a CSL M3 I'd expect to be quicker again.

The hooligan side of me is saying go for an EVO, I can get one well below my budget and on the road could no doubt get from A-B quicker than I would in any other car but at the same time it would be taking me little effort to do so.

My heart and brain is saying go with something more unique and something truly faster like a Z06 or something RWD so I can still have some fun like the Z06 again or an M3 CSL or Z4 M Coupe.

I can definetely recommend an EVO to anybody, it was a fantastic car. Also the fact you can get a 2005 EVO 260 for £14,000 which is essentially the same car but can easily be tuned to well over 300BHP seems in my view to make them absolute bargains.

Next up is the RS4, 911's and a CSL. :D

Soldato
Nice, I would have test-drove the FQ400 MR, that's just one hell of a machine. Evo's are nice but to go from a stang to an evo...not so sure about :p.

Money wise I think it's Overpriced, it was the Evo9 right? Handling/Power delivery spot on for the kind of car. Out of intrest, what are you leaning towards of this moment?

Soldato
Find a 2nd hand MR FQ320 and they chip straight up to around 400bhp. Boost will start to build at around 2000rpm giving a 5000rpm power band.

OcUK Staff
OP
Vita said:
Nice, I would have test-drove the FQ400 MR, that's just one hell of a machine. Evo's are nice but to go from a stang to an evo...not so sure about :p.

Money wise I think it's Overpriced, it was the Evo9 right? Handling/Power delivery spot on for the kind of car. Out of intrest, what are you leaning towards of this moment?

Hi there

At the moment every car I've driven has its advantages over the other.

Yes it was an EVO 9 FQ360. An FQ400 is no interest to me, 40BHP at these speeds is not so noticable but the huge lag of the FQ400 is as that is completely gutless below 4000rpm.

On looks, sound, acceleration upto 200mph and rarity its gotta be the Z06, truly awsome car.

On steering, go-kart feel and interior easily the BMW Z4 M Coupe. Though I am now also considering an M3 CSL as an interim car to have play with. As in the theory this will offer the handling, performance of the Z4MC but more so plus the CSL has now stopped depreciation so a safe car to buy.

Ability to drive fast easy irrelevant of road condition, the EVO hands down.

So as you can see every car has its plus points as to its abilities etc. etc.

Associate
I have driven my brothers mates FQ340 and can say ive never felt like such a kid in a car. I fully agree with you on the handling side gibbo, the car just takes corners with ease and you feel like your still in control unlike RWD where you can feel the back end starting to kick out abit. The acceleration is very good aswell, second gear, foot flat to the floor and my organs were in the back seat, seats were very comfy aswell for saying they were full racing seats. The noise is also exquisit you get a nice whirl from the turbo on the run over, apparently it guzzles a lot of fuel and is expensive to run but im sure that wouldnt stop a man like you.

Great car :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Gonzo0 said:
I have driven my brothers mates FQ340 and can say ive never felt like such a kid in a car. I fully agree with you on the handling side gibbo, the car just takes corners with ease and you feel like your still in control unlike RWD where you can feel the back end starting to kick out abit. The acceleration is very good aswell, second gear, foot flat to the floor and my organs were in the back seat, seats were very comfy aswell for saying they were full racing seats. The noise is also exquisit you get a nice whirl from the turbo on the run over, apparently it guzzles a lot of fuel and is expensive to run but im sure that wouldnt stop a man like you.

Great car :D

Hi there

Yep I completely agree with what your saying! I was doing the same 2nd gear foot to floor stuff and it felt like I was been put in the back seats. The Mustang does this but holds onto this feeling for a lot longer as been N/A and supercharged the surge of power starts from 1000rpm and does not die until 6800rpm, so the Stang really re-organises your internal organs. Still the EVO felt great, comparing speedos its clear the EVO is not as quick as it feels because the speedo goes round quite a bit slower than that of the Stang, especially once your in 4th.

I think the EVO was no doubt similar on fuel compared to the Stang and yes I really liked the whirrly turbo noises the car made. :D

Soldato
awesome cars.

Guess you pay for the HKS bits/name though :)

For me a 9MR RS on import for around 23k + Ecu/EvoGreen Turbo/Cams/Rods pistons would work out way cheaper and good for around 450/450 and near stock spool :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Cryfreeman said:
btw Gibbo was this the fq360 or the MR FQ360?

Discounts available on the non MR ones :)

Hi m8

It was the normal FQ360, non MR version. I asked about the MR version and they basically told me it weighs a little less and is a more harsher ride so I thought against that.

From just driving the Stang again, she accelerates so much quicker as on the speedo in comparison to the EVO but the EVO certainly felt more chuckable and navigating roundabouts at silly speeds seem a speciality of the EVO. :D

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi m8

It was the normal FQ360, non MR version. I asked about the MR version and they basically told me it weighs a little less and is a more harsher ride so I thought against that.

From just driving the Stang again, she accelerates so much quicker as on the speedo in comparison to the EVO but the EVO certainly felt more chuckable and navigating roundabouts at silly speeds seem a speciality of the EVO. :D

If your finding the Evo a bit flat compared to the stang then :eek:....

Have you thought about a Morgan Aero8? for an exotic with some difference with the added bonus of holding respectable value when you come to sell it. + Tuning options and companies are about for it (so my inlaws morgan club mag says) :D

Associate
The new evo is due out soon is it not? It may be worth waiting and see what that brings. From what ive seen it looks just as fierce as the cureent model and apparently it is quite faster too :)

Soldato
Gonzo0 said:
The new evo is due out soon is it not? It may be worth waiting and see what that brings. From what ive seen it looks just as fierce as the cureent model and apparently it is quite faster too :)

1550kg's......

going by the looks they made a car longer,thinner and heavier. Great for performance well done mitsubishi :D

Looks aside the new scoob STI will probally run rings around it.

Man of Honour
Sounds like you had a similar experience in the Evo to me mate (well, apart from the mustang comparisons obviously). The car is evil and just demands to be driven in a totally hooligan fashion...

I came to the conclusion it was too focused and too likely to lose me my licence, not to mention the insane running costs...

OcUK Staff
OP
Cryfreeman said:
:D

Theres a few 500+ bhp Evos for sale at the moment on MLR, maybe these will fill the gap :D

This should do it :

http://lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151372

Hi there

I will be honest, if I could afford more than one decent car, I'd take an EVO FQ anyday, would be superb for those wet/cold days.

However what appeals to me about the EVO is literally the hooligan side of me and the car. As an only car though I feel that in a short time I'd become bored of it been too easy to drive.

You see I don't find the way they look appealing and am worried that on the dry and sunny days the ease of driving so fast with little effort would all become boring with time. Plus is not a real drivers car, when I say this I mean today navigating some country roads at high speeds, powering out of the corners etc. in the Mustang was fabulous fun and it feels a great achievement, especially when you deliberately power out of a corner to early and get the tail wagging because it takes steering control, throttle control etc. to keep it all together and as such is a real drivers car. Wheras with the EVO it was literally a case of point it where I wanted to go and floor the go pedal, there was hardly not even any need to feed the power in, just give it full beans. I hope all that makes sense. Problem with the Mustang is when cornering fast I move around in the seat, wheras the EVO the seats were fantastic, they lock you into place but are so comfy too. :)

Its gonna be interested to see how the RS4 and 911 Turbo compare as those are also both 4WD cars as well. I get the feeling the RS4 is not going to be as focused, wheras the Porsche might sit in the middle, will have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom