My Log Burner...

Man of Honour
little hint for anyone getting a log burner fitted / flue lined - ensure they close up / put a mesh on any holes they use for filling the void between the liner and flue - otherwise you may well end up with bees nesting in said void, having to hire a roof ladder and risking your neck getting rid of them - what a fun weekend!

Soldato
Burning session
Probe readings
Optimal temp per hour
:/

Only on overclockers could a simple thing like running a log burner be turned into something more.
Thanks for your useful contribution.

I'm looking at buying a house with a log burner in it. The house doesn't have central heating (electric radiators only) and so the log burner is intended to be the main, if not only (if possible) source of heat during winter. I can get as much free wood as I can burn so cost isn't an issue. It's a small mid terrace cottage so not a huge space to heat!

This is the burner in question, is it possible to identify from this picture whether it's any good?
nQpwAKJ.png

Associate
C'est bon.

Hard to tell. I've got Clearview Pioneer 400's in all rooms under 25sqm which are that sort of size, and they'll have the room hitting mid 20c in no time. That's with thick internal/external stone walls and 3mm single pane glass.

Soldato

I'm looking at buying a house with a log burner in it. The house doesn't have central heating (electric radiators only) and so the log burner is intended to be the main, if not only (if possible) source of heat during winter. I can get as much free wood as I can burn so cost isn't an issue. It's a small mid terrace cottage so not a huge space to heat!

This is the burner in question, is it possible to identify from this picture whether it's any good?

Looks ~5kw. We have an 8kw burner in one room - lovely and toasty in there, but the rest of the house is cold in winter if the C/H isn't on. No way would I rely on a burner as the sole source of heat for anything other than an emergency\power outage during winter.

Soldato

nQpwAKJ.png

That looks like a firefox5 but with a different door.
If it is they are cheap and cheerful we have one in our last house. And it would heat the house.

If its your only source of heat it might be worth getting a stove with a back boiler and pump it to your rads

Soldato
We're looking at getting a log burner for our backroom now my wifes going to be working from home and it gets a bit chilly back there.

We've got a quote for installation and decided to look online at Stoves. Have seen a few we like but they range from £300 up to about £1000. Is there much benefit to the more expensive ones? It seems the cheaper ones are made of steel and having read a bit it seems the only difference is Steel heats up and cools down quick which we think would probably suit us better.

Other than that is there anything we need to watch out for with the cheap ones? Notably something like this

http://www.modernstoves.co.uk/wood-burning-stoves/neo-multi-fuel-wood-burning-stove.html

I notice the efficiency is around 77% and some of the more expensive ones are in the 80's, but given we're just heating a room and it's not our main source of heating i'm less bothered.

Soldato
We're looking at getting a log burner for our backroom now my wifes going to be working from home and it gets a bit chilly back there.

We've got a quote for installation and decided to look online at Stoves. Have seen a few we like but they range from £300 up to about £1000. Is there much benefit to the more expensive ones? It seems the cheaper ones are made of steel and having read a bit it seems the only difference is Steel heats up and cools down quick which we think would probably suit us better.

Other than that is there anything we need to watch out for with the cheap ones? Notably something like this

http://www.modernstoves.co.uk/wood-burning-stoves/neo-multi-fuel-wood-burning-stove.html

I notice the efficiency is around 77% and some of the more expensive ones are in the 80's, but given we're just heating a room and it's not our main source of heating i'm less bothered.

We have a Clearview Pioneer 400 which is upper mid-range I guess. I paid more to get this model as it's very efficient, the glass is kept clean by its airwash system and it's very easy to light and maintain. I would advise staying away from the cheap brands and look to spend a little more on the stove.

The one you've linked looks OK but it's not one I came across when I looked at them last year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah thats what we're thinking. The fitting price is looking lower than expected (Around £850 including the flue) and we'd originally planned around £1500 for fitting so not sure whether to take the benefit and have a weekend away or whether to spend extra on the stove. Just not sure it's worth it if the difference is minimal.

Back
Top Bottom