My new car (Warning: Uncool 5 door action inside)

Soldato
Well after much deliberating and research over what I can replace the Accord with, I settled on the ST220. It seems to offer everything I need/want in a nice package, namely comfort, decent bit of performance, gadgets, reliability and decent running costs.

So this is the one I bought! It's an 04 plate Machine Silver hatchback with 54,000 miles on the clock, and I paid £6,750. I might have been able to find it for a few hundred cheaper from a private seller half way up the country in six months' time, for example, but this one is really in very good condition, very clean and drives superbly, so I thought sod it. It's from a Ford main dealer and has a full Ford service history, and it appears very well looked after; has four Contisport Contact 3s on. I'm happy to pay a bit extra for peace of mind etc, plus it's a car that doesn't have a set "value" per se it would seem, and the values seem to fluctuate!

In short, I love the noise and grunt of the V6, I love the comfort of the seats and the masses of toys/gadgets and increased refinement over the Honda. I love how it looks, and I love how rare they are :)

I have a couple of questions to fellow owners:

1) Where do you get yours serviced?
2) Which companies do you find are best for insurance?
3) I Will need new front tyres at some point, any reason I shouldn't replace them with the same ones so they're matching?
4) Why do you all complain about the stock audio quality? I tried it with my iPod via the aux in briefly and it sounds good through the Sony 6CD HU in my opinion - nice full sound, not tinny or harsh like many stock audio systems sound, decent sound stage
5) That said.. How easy is it to fit an aftermarket HU? How much room behind is there to shove cables etc? Where do you locate your iPod?
6) I can't get used to this whole climate control lark; should I just set a temperature, leave it on "Auto" and let it do its thing?

Anyway.. Pics!

st220-1.jpg

st220-16.jpg

st220-4.jpg

st220-2.jpg

st220-13.jpg

st220-11.jpg

st220-5.jpg

st220-8.jpg

st220-14.jpg

st220-19.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just been out and now it's dark I love the little puddle lights in the mirrors and how the whole car sort of "comes to life" as you unlock it :cool:

Is yours Machine Silver too Pete?

Nice, enjoy it :)

Do current Fords still have that silly bonnet release mechanism that requires the key or have they changed it by now?
Yep :D

Soldato
OP
Yeah the silver really works with these, for sure :) I do like the Performance Blue though. In fact the only colour I don't like is black - ruins the lines of the car IMHO

Soldato
OP
I like how the console looks with the Sony unit :o

And Paul, thanks for your replies :) I am into my quality, which is why I was surprised initially at how it sounded! It was only on my driveway though, will try it on the way to work tomorrow :)

I've got an Alpine HU, small extra box (for DSP) with some RCA cables between that and the HU, and I need an earth point for the DSP box probably. Might not bother fitting a sub for a while. Are there any pics/guides online showing photos with the HU removed?

Soldato
OP
Cheers Iain

What are Ford like on costs for something like front disks/pads for example, out of interest? Everything else seems to be covered by major/minor services

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16839580 said:
I don't understand why you'd possibly do that other than by hating it the first time you used it, not bothering to stick with it and learn how it works, and then going from there? Manual AC is rubbish!

Have to agree. I wasn't fussed about proper climate control having not used it "properly" in the past until now. Now it's ace :cool:

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;16839663 said:
It looks in really good condition. What are these like to drive, then? Rapid without being blistering I imagine?

Yep. Comfortably quick and grunty but the MX5 is faster and a bit more manic. And a lot more fun.

But the Mondeo does exactly what I want it to. Cruise effortlessly, yet provide a bit of fun when you feel like a bit of a blast, the chassis is excellent at hiding its weight :)

Soldato
OP
Found this morning its quite tricky to get into reverse and sometimes 1st when the box is stone cold. After a bit of fiddling it'll go in, and after a moment of driving, the box is slick as anything. I'm taking it for Ford to look at hopefully under warranty on Friday, is it likely to be anything more serious than the gearbox oil or linkage?

Back
Top Bottom