My new CV

On the same subject (CV’S) does anyone have a CV layout for a role within A computer technician?

For a refrance id think i would add everyone that ive worked for or did work exp for also

OK CV. Its not consistant however and does need patching up.

Don't use &. Use 'and'.

You have used full stops in particular places and some not.

The text on the left - get rid of it.

You have allocated one whole page to Activities and Interests, cut this in half and bulk up on your first page. Don't simple make a list, pick out a few and say what you have learnt from them.

Group your GCSEs into a few lines. For example, x GCSEs at (A-B).

Your CV is very generic. What will it be used for?

thanks again everyone for your input! this is very helpful, im glad i did this - i wasnt going to bother...

anyway Second Draft of CV

what you think?

EDIT: im starting to think that i should cut down my GCSEs further and just say 10 GCSE graded A* to B??

yes cut down the gcse's with grades like that dont need to know what each one was, your clearly a bright lad, with great A levels and great marks at uni!

I only list the number of O levels, yes O levels!, A levels and my degree marks.

not a fan of the layout
why pdf? ime 99% of people want it in word
phone number - unless your applying internationally, drop the +44 / 0044

one other thing, you have impressive details on the cv, why are you blanking the websites for us to see what you have done. i know that this is just done for us and not on the cv you would distribute, but still, blanking them is pointless ;]

just did it PDF for the forums, would either print and post or send a word doc.

is that the old layout or the new layout you dont like? what about it dont you like? (if its the new one)

im blocking off the website as its a reletivly small company and the web hosting prob wont be up to the who of OcUK decending on it... and it would seriously skew the web stats!!

Bin the age - they can't use it in the recruitment process anyway becuase you can't discriminate on somebody based on age (Except for insurance reasons etc but as you are now over 21 that's irrelevant).

employment history looks too squashed together.

i know people say 'stick to 2 sides of a4' but if you have relevant detail to take you over 2 pages, then put it in. dont screw up the look of the cv just to fit it in 2 pages.

you have a lot of good things to write and all of them deserve equal space, give them all the space.

:]

Ok first page of the cv much better but as others have said junk the individual results for GCSE's just have 10 at A*to B. Also no need for marital status.

For the second page can I recomend a layout like this(similar to my own cv);

Work related skills

Communication
  • Created and delivered Power Point presentations to large audiences

Organisation

• Ability to take direction, plan and execute tasks and deal with problems as they arise

IT skills

• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel

Personal Interests:

I am a keen musician and have passed grade.....etc etc I also enjoy traveling..etc while in Cyprus I gained my scuba PIDA etc...

Obviously you pad the bullet points out with your own try to get 3 or 4 for each using examples of things you have done at work or Uni. Then for the personal interests just write a 3 or 4 short sentences about the things you have listed. To be honest most employers don't care if you eat out or enjoy London shows, just add the interests that either show your not a complete geek or that you have an aptitude for things other than work.

thanks for your input mattx2, i was just about to scrap the "Activities and Interests" section as i feel its a bit bloated. (after reading comments here and a bit of googling!)

you mind if i can have a look at your CV? if not then dont worry. email etc in sig/trust

Last edited:
Luke284 said:
thanks for your input attx2, i was just about to scrap the "Activities and Interests" section as i feel its a bit bloated. (after reading comments here and a bit of googling!)

you mind if i can have a look at your CV? if not then dont worry. email etc in sig/trust

I can email you a copy of my CV if you fancy. Email in trust.

Luke284 said:
the latest copy is a word document. if you want one of the first 2 as word, the email me and ill send it on.

I wouldnt put my grades in there at all to be fair. on the instruments that is.

i suppose you can keep them in for a reference to where your techical ability is at.

btw do your soddin grade 8 already!

Neon said:
btw do your soddin grade 8 already!
i have, failed by 1 mark! it didnt help that i hated my teacher. havent really played since my exam. i cant really read music now. i keep meaning to pick it up again, but dont have the time (or space) for a cello at uni.

Back
Top Bottom