My new Dell 2405FPW - pictures & first impressions

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Sell DELL have further increased our pricing which means for those who bought on Special offer nearly saved themselves £300 and those who still buy now will be saving £200 by buying from OcUK, plus you get an extra years warranty too. :)

Soldato
Baddass said:
really liking it so far, hard to get over the sheer size tho! before anyone says it as well, yes......i know, i need a new keyboard / mouse ;)

I was going to, lol but really im just glad your happy man, well done nice to see you move onto a more premium display.

does the dell support hdcp over the dvi connection (aprrently it is needed ofr sky hd)???

Thats a good question but i doubt it will be as technically its a monitor not a TV. If its not in the manual then probably not.

However HD content thats not copy protected (most of Skys channels wont be because of most displays carrying component connections) Likewise its the same in the USA and to use it on most channels making it non compatible with the majority of TVs isnt a good way to try and grow a new market.

Do expect it on Box Office Movies and Possibly Football any programmes that arnt HDCP compatible will by default downgrade to 480p

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it's HDCP compliant, but frankly sky would be crazy to only offer the service over HDCP DVI. This is still a very small part of the market.

So far I am thrilled with my screen.

Caporegime
Baddass said:
no not at all, dont worry. you go into the settings once and there's a really easy wizard to set gridlines. it gives you big green lines and you move them how you want. then thats it. You just use windows normally but when you want to maximise a window to the nearest grid section you just hold ALT when you press maximise! :) ive only got the scren divided in 2, so i open a window and you can just double click the bar at the top while holding ALT to make it fill the nearest section

there's another section to set hot keys for pretty much any of the graphics card options. so ive set one which is for the option in there to rotate the image. again, set it once and thats it. For instance CRTL +F11 on mine makes it rotate 90 degrees, and CRTL +F12 makes it go back to normal :)

thanks for the comments everyone :)

Where exactly is the setting for the gridlines, I can't find it in the nvdia software?

Man of Honour
OP
graphics card tab > desktop management section (might need to "enable desktop management") > user interface section > edit gridlines button

Associate
I just got my 2405fpw last week, and what can I say except for it's beautiful . I read quite a few reviews, and it seems to rate better than many of the more expensive widescreens out there.

Nice system by the way :)

Associate
At custom widescreen res, it doesn't look good, jagged lines everywhere making it harder to see other players :) I didn't try it in normal aspect.. maybe thats where I went wrong! Hehe, I had to shift my head a lot more than I do now on a 20inch, gave me neck ache!

I'd prolly get another one in the future (I sold mine a few months ago), but not at the price now, got it much cheaper than the prices we see now :)

Caporegime
Gipo said:
If anyone happens to still play quake 3, I wouldn't recommend getting one of these :) messed up my skills no end :p
I still play Q3 - was fine once I got used to it and increased my FOV to account for the WS and found out how to set it up to native res...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Actually, I probably should not say this, but I work for Dell, and I bought from OcUk, simply because of the instant delivery and price saving !!

Soldato
is the price likely to decrease?

just i would love one of these but wouldnt be able to afford it for 3 months or so :o but i'd like to start saving :)

Last edited:
Soldato
:( hope so

ive always wanted one of these and if i save every penny i have for about 10 weeks solid, i could afford it

are they really worth 10 weeks of having NO money at all?

Back
Top Bottom