My new Dell 2405FPW - pictures & first impressions

Soldato
Took delivery of a 2405 today,have only had an hour or so with it so far due to work but I've set her up and all seems o.k,no dead pixels etc.

Still coming to terms with the width of the thing,it really is a massive step up from my 17inch Iiyama TFT.

Running via dvi-d from my 6800Ultra,tried Cod 2 at native res no visible ghosting but the framerate was quite choppy so didn't play for long,the real testing will come when new Gpu and Mobo have been installed(NF4/X1900XTX).

Liking this monitor a lot thus far,thanks for all the info Badass and everyone else,it deffo made the decision to purchase one a lot easier. :)

Will post further impressions later,Oblivion running smoothly at native res is my initial objective,has anyone else managed this yet?

Associate
Leave V Sync enabled and that cah help with the game 'chopping' sometimes.

I've had mine for a couple of months now and I still love it!! Its great value for money!

Permabanned
smit101 said:
Will post further impressions later,Oblivion running smoothly at native res is my initial objective,has anyone else managed this yet?

Its a fantastic monitor aint it :)

I got Oblivion this afternoon and so far (still in the dungeon) its running fine at 1920 x 1200 on my AGP X800XT 256mb, P4 @ 3.8GHz, 1 gig ram, in fact I'm bowled over by how well it runs considering how intensive the graphics are, no in game AA turned on, at this resolution ... is it needed? But everything else is maxed out.

Its games like this that really make you appreciate the Dell 2405.

Soldato
Mr Bulbous said:
Its a fantastic monitor aint it :)

I got Oblivion this afternoon and so far (still in the dungeon) its running fine at 1920 x 1200 on my AGP X800XT 256mb, P4 @ 3.8GHz, 1 gig ram, in fact I'm bowled over by how well it runs considering how intensive the graphics are, no in game AA turned on, at this resolution ... is it needed? But everything else is maxed out.

Its games like this that really make you appreciate the Dell 2405.

Yeah,it sure is a fantastic monitor,pricing is good at the moment to.When gaming at these kind of res's AA becomes far less important and from what I've been reading in the Oblivion thread the game looks much better with HDR enabled and high res as opposed to AA and bloom at a reduced res.

Any chance you could let me know what options are enabled in the OSD on your monitor Mr Bulb?as I have said I'm running mine via dvi and many options are non-selectable,most notably the scaling options e.g 1:1/fill etc.Contrast etc is also disabled but this is stated in the manual as being non-selectable when using dvi,no mention of the scaling options though.Thanks.

Permabanned
I'm actually using DVI as well, and to be honest, hadn't really looked to deeply at the monitor options, apart from setting the brightness to my liking (far to bright as stock) but after reading what you posted, had a look at the monitor options again and its seems there is a lot more there than I first thought, I bought this one just before Christmas and basically plugged it in and was delighted from the word go!

As regards Oblivion I bought this afternoon, well now that I've played a bit more and delved deeper into the options and made my way out in to the open world, it seems I don't have all the graphic options turned up max after all, but at 1920 x1200 it still looks fantastic and runs very smooth indeed, so will be messing with game settings trying to find the optimum balance for me, fortunately this type of game doesn't really need a high frame rate to play smoothly.

I'm quite pleased actually, as I want to upgrade to an X1900XTX and AMD dual core screamer later this year, and this gives me something to grow into with Oblivion, and also hopefully FSX (Flight Sim 10) later on this year.

As regards the Dell 2405 though, its one of the best hardware purchases I've ever made ... no regrets whatsoever.

Associate
Mine arrived today - Words can't express how awesome this is (so I'll leave a blank space below)

:D

No dead pixels - Media player scales normal HDrip xvids nicely - the only thing I haven't sorted yet is makeing the colour tones on the 2405 and my 19'' 454 iiyama match.

I tried a 1080 trailer on apples site is there anything I can do to get that sort of material smoothly with my current gear (3500+ and 6600GT - not much of a gamer)

Its great for work - I can have raw LaTeX on one side and see a huuuge pdf next to.

Nice one OCUK/Dell

Soldato
jcat98 said:
I tried a 1080 trailer on apples site is there anything I can do to get that sort of material smoothly with my current gear (3500+ and 6600GT - not much of a gamer)
Yes, don't watch apple hi-def encodes, they suck for performance. Try and find the trailer in another format.

Associate
BubbySoup said:
Yes, don't watch apple hi-def encodes, they suck for performance. Try and find the trailer in another format.

Ok - thanks - Stupid there is no standard video acceleration like DX/OGL :/

Got to say from what I saw of the 'A Scanner Darkly' Trailer it looked awesome. :D

Associate
Had my 2405 delivered today from ocuk. Yep it's big, but the nice thing about it is even on max resolution 1900x1200 the text isn't small or hard to read, it's just right.

When i had my laptop on max resolution 1400x1050 it was a strain on the eyes, so I always kept the resolution down to 1024x768.

1900x1200 on the dell 2405 is just like 1024x768 on my 15inch laptop screen, easy on the eyes.

Associate
supafly said:
Had my 2405 delivered today from ocuk. Yep it's big, but the nice thing about it is even on max resolution 1900x1200 the text isn't small or hard to read, it's just right.

When i had my laptop on max resolution 1400x1050 it was a strain on the eyes, so I always kept the resolution down to 1024x768.

1900x1200 on the dell 2405 is just like 1024x768 on my 15inch laptop screen, easy on the eyes.

do you play bf2 if so can you give us some pictures and is there any ghosting please

Associate
jcat98 said:
Ok - thanks - Stupid there is no standard video acceleration like DX/OGL :/

Got to say from what I saw of the 'A Scanner Darkly' Trailer it looked awesome. :D

You could try and use the VLC player with QT h.264 1080p files..
Much better performance than with the standard QT player..
Playback is nice and smooth.......but I find the 1080p files still suck due to the artefacting and 'haloing' in the image.......720p is a little better..
QT H.264 still needs a bit of work......WMVHD 1080p of the Batman Begins trailer was very impressive in comparison

Back
Top Bottom