My new Saab

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16211684 said:
I don't like auto lights because they go straight from Off to Full On. This means you miss the opportunity to pose at dusk with just the Angel Eyes on if you use the auto lights :D

The Saab lights are interesting. There's 3 positions, like any other car - off, sidelights and main beam. However, you can choose to have the sidelights come on automatically when the switch is in the off position - not the headlights though. When the switch is in the sidelight position, they stay on regardless of the ignition position. When it's on the main beam position, all the lights go off when you turn the car off - designed for sweedish winters (and, as my dad found with his old Saabs, Scottish winters) where you'll need your headlights all the time so you just leave them switched on.

Soldato
Yes, but as I've said already, it would be useful to know what the 'real world' figure is, given that most people don't live on the roundabout at J2 of the M1 and whose entire driving consists of driving to J10 of the said motorway in traffic free conditions and coming back again.

My '99 9-5 Aero Estate has averaged 30.5mpg (brim to brim measurements) over 11000miles in the last 9 months. That covers everything from commuting, weekend shopping, the schlep down to Le Mans and trips across the country to friends or whatever. It will average mid to high 30s when cruising at 80, whilst a tank spent mostly commuting and around town will drop to 27-28.

Soldato
The Saab lights are interesting. There's 3 positions, like any other car - off, sidelights and main beam. However, you can choose to have the sidelights come on automatically when the switch is in the off position - not the headlights though. When the switch is in the sidelight position, they stay on regardless of the ignition position. When it's on the main beam position, all the lights go off when you turn the car off - designed for sweedish winters (and, as my dad found with his old Saabs, Scottish winters) where you'll need your headlights all the time so you just leave them switched on.

The auto off headlights with the ignition goes back to at least the 99 in '68. Middle position of the headlight switch gave low powered side lights (5w) which stayed on for parking lights and there was a separate switch on the dash for the daylight running lights which only came on with the ignition and used the full 26w of the dual filament bulb used in the side light cluster.

Soldato
Seems to be - guessing he has no direct experience of these cars anyway. The dealer brimmed the tank, I reset the computer when I left and I brimmed it again when I got back to exeter - the computer said 36.8 and the figures from the pump figure equated to 36.2mpg.

One of the reasons these appealed is they're remarkably efficient for the power they give - plenty other owners averaging in the 30s with combined use. As I said originally, the Mondeo returned 48mpg on the way up and my average in daily use was just above 40 - so that says something about my use and driving style

Well I think my 9-3 must have massive problems, because I'm averaging 36mpg out of my TiD 9-3. I have noticed that it does in the mid 40s after a service, but 5000 miles later it's back down to awful MPG.
It's a company car thank god. After 20000 miles of 1.9TiD and 5000 miles of 2.0T, I'd honestly never buy one.

If you're happy with your choice then that's all that matters.

Soldato
OP
Well I think my 9-3 must have massive problems, because I'm averaging 36mpg out of my TiD 9-3. I have noticed that it does in the mid 40s after a service, but 5000 miles later it's back down to awful MPG.
It's a company car thank god. After 20000 miles of 1.9TiD and 5000 miles of 2.0T, I'd honestly never buy one.

If you're happy with your choice then that's all that matters.

Sounds like it, unless it's all around town.

I'm very happy with my purchase and the fuel economy is panning out to be quite acceptable

looks awesome from the outside, nice~!

Cheers :)

That looks really nice. What is the cost of servicing/parts like on these?

Servicing isnt too bad at all, from a main dealer it's about 10% higher than Ford main dealer for the Mondeo - about 200/300 for a minor/major service. It's the usual minor-minor-major routine, but it's 18,000 miles or 2 years. My computer is telling me I have an "oil quality" of 55% and 414 days until the next service - last one was November.

Parts, cant really comment on, but they dont seem too bad. I got a wadge of reciepts with it for everything it's needed doing - most of it has only been stuff like tyres and services etc. The only faults it seems to have had was a recovery callout for a flat battery (new one at 70 quid) and a new steering angle sensor....£481 :eek:

Soldato
Congratulations for being different and not neccessarily following the crowd! and actually picking what YOU personally wanted right now.

Looks a smart looking car to me. I always think that black is the best colour but cleaning them, argh! full time job :D

Soldato
OP
Congratulations for being different and not neccessarily following the crowd! and actually picking what YOU personally wanted right now.

Looks a smart looking car to me. I always think that black is the best colour but cleaning them, argh! full time job :D

Thanks for getting it :)

After a few days at work, with a couple of mini hoons, averaging 28mpg now....quite happy :)

Soldato
OP
The quoted figure was door to door, FYI

Anyway, if you would be interested to know what the figure is after a week or so of use - I can come back and tell you on friday. You dont need to start arguments by putting words in peoples' mouths

Well I know you've all been really interested in this - Mr Davis was so interested that he got really overexcited.

My long term average has been marred by a few hoons and full throttle blasts - it's more addictive than I thought it would be!

But today I reset it when leaving home and drove it "normally" - not an ecorun, 10 mins through town at each end of a 15 minute dual carriageway at 80. The result when I got home this evening...

2010-04-12180223.jpg

Pretty pleased with that as a real world average to be honest :)

Overall, after a few weeks of ownership, I think the car has been superb. The interior is a bit creaky/rattly on occasion but most of these can be sorted out. The drivers seat, as someone suggested does need some new padding - it looks OK with the exception of the creased leather but after doing a direct bum comparison with the passenger seat, it does seem to need a bit of work so looking at some quotes to have it re-padded.

The autobox is great, wondering how I'd lived so long without one. Nice and smooth to change, almost unnoticeable, when you're taking it easy but quick to change when you're pressing on. Seems easily controllable with your right foot (back off to make it shift up) and the kickdown works quickly. Manual mode works well, never once had the problem of being slow/reluctant to change that is often associated with these things although I dont think I'll use it often.

Other than that, it's been superb - brilliantly comfortable and quiet but with enough potential for fun when I need it, exactly what I wanted. It's also prompted a lot of "nice car" comments from people - gets the right sort of attention :cool:

So would I reccomend one? Well no, but that's only for the simple reason that they're quite a niche car - I think you've got to already like these things to appreciate them. There are obviously technically better cars for the money, but for someone who has always like Saabs (like me), it's brilliant and just feels "right" :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom