My pics

Soldato
I thought I'd use this thread as a sort of running blog for my photos, I do mostly Landscape and Architecture with a Phase One setup, I used to shoot large format but quit a couple of years back when they stopped making Velvia, so just moved to technical medium format (Cambo WRS-5000 with a Phase one IQ260 ) mostly for the quality of the lenses and movements, which I was well practised with from 5x4,

Been out quite a lot in the last week, I did a couple of quick trips down to the coast - just mainly getting used to this new kit, ahead of an 8 day trip to Lapland next week to try and focus on the Northern Lights and frozen trees :)

Feel free to comment, or just ignore me :D

Beachy Head last week

HikXpQy.jpg

London Bridge last week,

0y85zoa.jpg

Durdle Door this morning,

5joUJqw.jpg

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the kind comments guys :)

Really like the light on the bridge shot.

What was the EXIF for that one ?

Because the lenses I use are all mechanical - the only exif available is from the digital back, in this case it was;
Bits Per Sample 8 8 8
Exif Image Size 1,024 × 767
Photometric Interpretation RGB
Make Phase One
Camera Model Name IQ260
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
Samples Per Pixel 3
Planar Configuration Chunky
Software Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Exposure Time 20
Exposure Program Manual
ISO 50
Exif Version 0230
Date/Time Original 2017:01:15 21:56:44
6 days, 16 hours, 3 minutes, 29 seconds ago

The lens I used was a 32mm Rodenstock Digaron HR, @ F11 with 1.5 degrees of front tilt and 1 degree of swing to the right (to get the wall and bridge in focus)

It's actually one of my favourite spots, but it's on private property (that whole area is) and I get harassed by security - however 90% of the time they leave me alone when I tell them it's just a hobby...

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys :)

I'm currently sat in a log cabin in Lapland Finland, there's a 5(G1) extreme aurora forecast forecast for tonight which is "extreme" so I'm planning to go out around 2-3am to see if I can get some Northern Lights action.

I got here on Sunday which was grey and gloomy, today was the same however tomorrow and Wednesday are looking good (from midnight tonight) so hopefully I'll fill some cards :p

The snow is pretty impressive, the average depth around here (Posio) is about 60-70cm, so getting plenty of use out of my snowshoes!

Soldato
OP
Sadly no aurora last night, good forecast tonight but there's very heavy cloud - not to worry though, had a very productive day - loving the arctic light! The sunrises/sunsets last for ages.

Snowshoeing is also lots of fun!

W0LF1eH.jpg

6wSHjPN.jpg

6gNjIOE.jpg

F7FIlcN.jpg

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys!

Been a busy couple of days, Wednesday was also a good day - managed to see the Northern lights for the first time, also spent more time down in Oulanka national park, it's really nice down there

AP4DPJ1.jpg

51Mpggp.jpg

Another one from Arctic Hill

lN4SPNJ.jpg

Went outside at 3am and sky was green, was pretty impressive - difficult to shoot though, I think I need more practise and need to be in a spot where you can compose quickly, as it's a very rapidly changing thing - one moment it's there, the next it's right behind you, really good to see it though!

WM8F1Fp.jpg

XQTzjki.jpg

Soldato
OP
Cheers Guys!

Nice down at "The Cobb" at Lyme Regis this morning, cheeky session before work :p

Also looks good at high tide, thankfully no runner or dogwalkers reking my life today :D

HHNFIbZ.jpg

Would have preferred a few more clouds and less harsh lighting, but there'a always another day!

0YLz4Ln.jpg

Edit, re-uploaded the top one, wrong colour profile :p

Soldato
OP
Phate;30498460 said:
I suddenly want a medium format camera :p

Tbh - it's a very slow workflow, I shoot a technical camera that has the full range of movements (tilt/swing/rise/fall/shift) - the sensor on my IQ260 produces very very nice images that print very big, it has almost 14 stops of DR too, but it's goes to **** as soon as I start doing very long exposures - anything over a minute is a waste of time, unless the temperature is freezing, as the back gets very hot! Most people would prefer a D810 or a Sony A7 as the sensors in those things will easily beat mine at high ISO or longer exposures.

The difference with technical cameras, is the lenses are beyond words when it comes to sharpness and image quality, the movements allow you to adjust the amount of foreground or sky, without having to tilt the camera up or down - so you end up with far less distortion - which is even better if you have buildings in the shot. I can also stitch panoramics by shifting the back from side to side without moving the camera - which generates perfect panos (zero change in perspective, as the sensors moves around inside the image circle of the lens)

The only problem is - it all comes at the cost of time!, time to setup, time to do everything manually, which a lot of people would hate. But I love it because it FORCES me to slow down and think about what I'm photographing :p

Back
Top Bottom