My Retro Resto - E30 325i Cab

My initial thoughts during the read through the OP was that E36s are probably a good deal cheaper than an E30 to buy.

Having said that, I think that this is a genuinely good project. Well restored E30 cabbies are worth quite a lot of dosh, so he's far more likely to retain some of the value of his investment if/when he comes to sell. Good call and a nice car to work on.

My initial thoughts during the read through the OP was that E36s are probably a good deal cheaper than an E30 to buy.

Having said that, I think that this is a genuinely good project. Well restored E30 cabbies are worth quite a lot of dosh, so he's far more likely to retain some of the value of his investment if/when he comes to sell. Good call and a nice car to work on.

what he spends on restoring it will be about what its worth when its done

thing is will he get the monies worth from doing the project ;) this is why a lot do it .

Wow, that interior is worn!

The fronts are rather worn yes, the rears should come up fine after some leather treatment. My camera does appear to have made the seats look a lot worse than they are with regards to cracking in leather etc.

Is it a sport or an SE? The sport is the one of the two to come with an LSD as standard right?

SE. The Sport would have had the Tech I or Tech II body kit (depends on year face/lift). Like so: E30 325i Sport. The Sport does have the LSD yes although they are fairly available these days for the E30 (at about £300) unlike the E36 where they are very hard to find.

Just noticed, i thought these had headlight wipers / washers?

It is/was an option as far as I'm aware, E30 320i Cab - that has projector lenses same as mine but no wipers, same seems to be the same for most of them.

what he spends on restoring it will be about what its worth when its done

thing is will he get the monies worth from doing the project ;) this is why a lot do it .

Well, I don't plan on doing it to sell it but to have a tidy fairly practical drop top classic (obviously there is debate on it being a classic etc.) to pootle about in. :p

Tidy ones do fetch a scary amount of money though as they are appreciating, same with the E36s now really.

I saw the comments on this before the images loaded and thought the interior would be much worse, it's not even started to rot! I imagine this will be a stisfying project if you keep looking back of those pictures of how it started.

Projector lenses :cool: how olds the car?

24 this year...roughly, it was first registered in 1988 (I forget the month) so should be on an E or F plate but at some point in it's life it gained the dateless plate. The letters mean nothing to me but I do quite like having the dateless look and, embarrassingly, quite like the pressed 'D' plates. :o :(

When it comes to getting it on the road I'll have some fresh, flat UK plates made up I expect. :)

Been watching to much Wheeler Dealers? :)

Haha, no. I rarely watch it and if I do I cringe at how badly they 'restore' cars. If I did this in their fashion I'd source a new engine, paint over the any rust and replace the interior then sell it on for £5k. :p

I've done car stripping and rebuilt engines before as well as done various work to bring cars back towards life although never a full project on my own car so this is an extension of what I've done previously really. :)

TBH as a project that's probably about right, it doesn't look like its in all that bad of a shape. Interior wise beyond the leather, it looks to be in sound shape?

Yeah, generally the interior is in sound shape, as is most of the exterior.

Oldskool bimmer. Doesn't look like much that a bit of basic cutting and welding can't fix. What's everyone making such a big fuss about? I can't see how the 'economically viable' argument is even valid when no restoration is ever economically viable unless you're working with rare vintage Rollers or similar.

Fella, get over to Retro Rides for some project lurve ;)

After getting the car in the garage on Weds I decided to wait until the weekend to work on the car. My plan for the bank holiday weekend was simple: Remove boot/contents of boot, remove bonnet, remove interior, maybe do a little bit of work on the engine.

With that in mind I decided to take things slow...

Day One - 05/05/2012

I removed the contents of the boot (carpets and all) to find that my suspicions of the boot's gas strut being about 10mm too long when closed did indeed result in rust in the boot! Luckily though the rust was not the car, it was in fact a handful of old screws and bolts that someone decided to leave in the jack/tool well on the passenger side. Panic over I removed the strut and closed the boot which confirmed that it was the strut causing the boot to remain slightly higher on the passenger side than on the driver's side. The boot lid then got removed, spoiler taken off and apart, all bits cleaned, dried and stored safely away. The rubber part of the spoiler is going to need treating with some black revival stuff, but for now whilst it is sat in the dry it can stay as it is.

DSCN0114.jpg

Clean

Next up on my list was the bonnet, whilst the design is cool it gets in the way when working on an engine (as do all bonnets in fairness) so I pulled that off and again, stored it out of the way. The paintwork on the bonnet is very good so I want to avoid it getting damaged. I'd been told the car has had a respray shortly before it stopped working and this was evident when inspecting the bonnet. No stone chips or anything.

DSCN0111.jpg

Mad Max?

Next up: Interior. Rear seat base is very easy to remove, the back however proved problematic if I followed guides on how to do it. They all said "the bolts are by the wing or they may be towards the centre near the seatbelt anchor mounts" which is fine...if someone prior to you hasn't been a complete imbecile and installed a third seat belt into the wrong positions!
They had used the seat back mount bolts to 'secure' the seat belt anchors and the lap belt, this meant that in the event of an accident with someone in the back they would likely have been caused serious injury either from the width of the lap section of the harness or by the bolts used to anchor the belts having failed.
All of that is ignoring the fact that the seat base (and back) are only designed for two people to be sat in the back and the third person in the middle would be rather uncomfortable sat on the dividing spine.
Below is an image of the mounting points with the belt anchor points in the correct position for the car. You can see the two points where the belts were anchored previously ~6inches either side of the current/correct point.

DSCN0115.jpg

Once the rears were out it was time for the fronts to come out, not like I'll be driving it anywhere for a while, so out they go.

DSCN0116.jpg

No seats.

Just to make it look a bit neater (and for me to clean up the parts/fabricate some new bits) I removed the handbrake console area. This had a lovely tape selector in it still, how 80s! I've got some plans for where the tape unit went but we'll just have to see if they work out at some other stage. I also removed the soft top cover as it was partially in my way but also due to some of the opening/closing mechanisms having failed it was causing damage to car.

DSCN0122.jpg

Naked.

Next up, engine!

Well, just before the engine I actually stripped off the front grille and lights to avoid damaging them and to get them out of my way when working on the engine. No pictures of that stage though.
I then started to remove parts from the engine, first item to come out was the airbox and associated parts that go with it. Once I pulled it out I was greeted with this:

DSCN0124.jpg

Post airbox/MAF, pre throttle body.

DSCN0125.jpg

MAF.

Ok, so I found some gunk/mayo in there. This got me intrigued as to just what was in the engine and what had happened to it. The next easy to remove item was the top radiator hose which provided me with:

DSCN0131.jpg

Mayo hand.

DSCN0132.jpg

Mayo radiator.

Next was the pipe on the water pump, this gave me a real surprise!

DSCN0136.jpg

DSCN0138.jpg

Oil.

I was surprised about the oil as I expected mayo...the oil came out, all over the garage floor and my foot. :lol:

Another water pipe, this time from the thermostat housing:

DSCN0141.jpg

Thermomayo.

Throttle body time! It looked innocent enough...

DSCN0141.jpg

Throttle body inlet.

...then I opened it!

DSCN0145.jpg

Throttle mayo.

I removed the throttle body from the inlet and mayo went everywhere.

DSCN0146.jpg

Throttle body sludge.

I cleaned up all of the mayo and stopped it from going into other parts of the engine or ancileries.

DSCN0148.jpg

Engine.

I then hauled the plenum off (wow that is a pain to do)! I then inspected the cylinders, 1-5 were dry pretty much (slight dampness/mayo on a couple valves) but 6 contained mayo, this could get interesting.

DSCN0149.jpg

DSCN0151.jpg

Engine without plenum.

DSCN0152.jpg

No. 6.

DSCN0153.jpg

No. 4, No. 5 & No. 6.

DSCN0154.jpg

No. 2, No. 3 & No. 4.

DSCN0155.jpg

No. 1 & No. 2.

DSCN0157.jpg

Inlet plenum, engine-side.

DSCN0159.jpg

Inlet plenum breather pipe.

I also removed the radiator, viscous van and a couple other bits, but those aren't that interesting (at least not compared to the mayo etc. :lol: ).

That pretty much wraps up Sat's work at about 21:30.

So in about 10hrs I did everything I'd planned to do over the whole three days pretty much! Good thing about this means that I've got the rest of the weekend to do as much or little as I want on the car. Unfortunately I'm unable to remove the engine currently because a friend is borrowing our engine crane but it should be returned some point next week, which gives me next weekend's task of engine removal. The annoying thing about the E30 compared to the E36 is that to remove the engine you have to hoist it out of the engine bay. On the E36 you can remove the front end crash bars etc. and pretty much just pull the engine from the car without much lift on it. I always dislike having to hoist an engine in/out of a car because it always takes longer than you think. Anyway, got a bit of time before I have to worry about that. :)

The plan for the engine is to strip it down and see how much damage has been caused, if it is just mayo in/around the engine then I can clean out all the gunk and rebuild the engine. If there is damage to internals (pistons, sump contains metal fragments etc.) then I shall source a new engine. A new/replacement engine is more what I'd like to do because it is fairly simple, but I would also like to strip and rebuild this one so I know every cm of the block and it's internal history.

Day Two - 06/05/2012

I decided today that I wanted to have a fairly relaxed one, so in the morning I 'popped' to Halfords (50 miles away) and picked up some leather feed (Mer Leather Cleaner) and I then spent the afternoon feeding the rear seats and the front passenger seat. I decided against feeding the driver's side for now because of the hole in the side it'll need a retrim (which means I'll probably also retrim the passenger seat to make them match).
I've never used leather feed etc. before so was unsure as to how well this would actually work on the seats due to the sheer number and size of the cracks in the leather. I needn't have worried as it appears to have brought them up a treat, although I shall feed them again tomorrow or sometime after work next week as I'm sure they can get much better than they are.

Whilst dismantling the passenger seat I found out something interesting (geek mode enabled), the Sports seats in the E30 only rely on cables for the flip forward function, the rest of the adjustment abilities are done using pneumatic gas struts (like you have to hold a car boot open) to provide the resistance when you're moving the seat back/base into the desired position/height.
This is a brilliant design and works well, unless of course these items are 24 years old and have also been damaged at some point in their life. Upon removing the seat back I was greeted with this:

DSCN0206.jpg

DSCN0207.jpg

Pneumatic gas strut.

Now it doesn't take a genius to work out that this strut is not quite in shape, especially when you compared it to the strut on the other side of the seat:

DSCN0208.jpg

The reason for this damage is because someone has previously taken the seat apart due to snapping the flip forward cable and then lost the correct bolt to hold the back on so replaced it with one of similar length. I say similar, I don't mean that at all, it is about 5-10mm longer than the original bolt and it is threaded up to the bolt head, the original is threaded about two thirds of the way up the shaft only. Someone proceeded to then do this replacement bolt up until the head was flush against the socket which meant the back didn't wobble about, this also meant that they drove the bolt into the strut and destroyed it. Unfortunately this affects the angle adjustment of the back of the seat because it stops the struts from being able to force the seat forwards if it is set all the way back. It doesn't actually stop it from being adjusted however, so I'm likely going to leave it as-is for now. I ran some part numbers through BMW-Cooper Parts online check and ONE strut will set me back between £25 and £40 (three different part numbers for the same item), each seat has four of these struts which means to return the seats to the former glory, in pneumatic adjustment only, will cost me a few hundred pounds which seems excessive when they do work (just not as silky smooth as originally intended).

DSCN0235.jpg

Here you can see the 'new' bolt (only done up gently to that position).

DSCN0236.jpg

Here you can see the old bolt, done up to it's full extent.

Just a slight difference between the two I think you'll agree. :P I'll need to source myself a few new bolts for the car anyway so these will be added to the list of new bolts required (I'll get a few as the original bolt on this seat is in fact bent). After my discoveries I then actually did treat the leather and think it has come out rather well.
Various photos of the interior, for the most part, before and after shots:

Rear Bench Before:
DSCN0183.jpg

Rear Bench After:
DSCN0184.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0194.jpg

Front Seat Back Before:
DSCN0202.jpg

DSCN0205.jpg

DSCN0212.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

Front Seat Back After:
DSCN0214.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

Front Seat Base Before:
DSCN0221.jpg

DSCN0222.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

Front Seat Base After:
DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

Headrest Before:
DSCN0230.jpg

Headrest After:
DSCN0234.jpg

Over all I think the leather feed has worked wonders on the seats. It is harder to tell in the pictures due to the flash and stuff but originally the seats were very cracked looking and now they look a huge amount better and make me not want to bother retrimming any of these seats. The top of the rear bench does have a rip in it on a seam so I'm going to have to do something about that. I'm thinking that if I am retrimming the front driver's seat then what I can do is create a patch from the old front seat leather an use that to sort out the hole. This I feel is the easiest and most friendly option to my wallet and, if done right, shouldn't make it look like it is patched up but who knows, I may just get a full set of leather covers made up and retrim them all, depends how flush I'm feeling later on in the process of fixing up this car.

That's it for the past couple days on the car but I suspect I'll be working on it again tomorrow so should have another update ready by the end of the bank holiday. Hope you guys have enjoyed reading so far.

Suprised how well that worked!

What kind of time scale do you think this project will take? Saw this on your fb the other day, I'm impressed :) some dedication!

impressive work on the leather, what product did you use man?

I think there is still more to come from the leather feed to be honest, it is a lot better but it can be even better. Whilst the feed was on the leather and before I buffed it out the cracks were just like normal wear marks you'd see on modern leather. We'll see though, may not improve much more if at all.

I used Mer Leather Cleaner, looked at the shelf in store this morning and didn't know what to get. I then read the bottles and this was about the only one that actually said it feeds and restores the leather, everything else said they just clean it. It also wasn't a scary cost but this bottle should last an absolute age, I used about 75ml or so on all that leather.

Suprised how well that worked!

What kind of time scale do you think this project will take? Saw this on your fb the other day, I'm impressed :) some dedication!

I got asked that yesterday whilst stripping down the engine and I honestly don't know or mind. At this rate, I could get it done in a few months but the rebuild work will take a huge amount longer than the strip down work. I'm kind of aiming for end of summer in my head but I'm content with it taking until next summer if need be.

Last edited:
Woah, that leather feed seems to have worked really well! I've got some Simoniz stuff that seems pretty useless compared to yours.

I don't know why people are harping on about it being too far gone... those arches look pretty good compared to what I'm used to seeing :D I'd start off with a dremel or something though and see what they're like. Even if you have to weld a plate in, it's going to be nothing compared to the panels I've recently welded into my car. You get pretty creative when faced with a big hole to fill.

Interested to see how this turns out :)

A few years ago I'd have shunned it and joined the 'why bother' club, but after spending hundreds of pounds on countless old wrecks and reaping the rewards, I wish you the best of luck.

A car, in my eyes, doesn't have a set value - only a value to me. I wouldn't pay the £600 most Corsas go for, but for something like my current car I'd pay way above market value for one I liked.

When it's done, I think this will become priceless to you and rightly so. Can't wait to see the end result.

Your BMW also uses the same power steering fluid cap as my 75, glad to see things have advanced :p

Back
Top Bottom