My review of the EK Supremacy Evo

Associate
OP
Very nice review. I don't get this block though. In the ExtremeRigs review you linked to it performs slightly worse than the Supremacy and is more restrictive. Why did EK even bother to release it? I reckon that we have reached a peak in cpu block performance and nothing is going to improve any further without some sort of radical redesign.

I unfortunately don't have the original Supremacy. But I am fairly certain that Stren had a bad 4770k. I did a quick test at his settings and the gap between my two blocks was higher than what he found, with that gap increasing with more heat from the chip. So while I can't say for sure how it will be compared to the original Supremacy, I know this is a really good block and the current flagship from EK for customers.

There are other reviews out there which have this performing better than the previous one but not all were tested properly. Look at Moonmanovich's results here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1505481/summer-water-block-round-up-2014/0_50

His current Koolance 380i is pretty bad compared to what he had before but his testing is pretty good too.

Soldato
EK said there is a 1.5- 2 ºC improvement in the Evo from the original Supremacy but we don't know what the testing conditions were.

Looking around the net it would seem that the EVO beats the original with the original jetplate, but the original with the newer jetplate beats both, quite strange considering the extra design that they put into making this, though it is possible that the extra work they put in to create both Intel/AMD internals instead of one internal only really improves AMD performance /shrug.

I bet this will perform even better on the 5960x and other thermally demanding cases.

Remember to test it both regular and goofy as s2011 is the one where goofy normally beats regular due to the different core layout to s1156/55/50, oh and J1 is better than J2 for 2011 :)

Last edited:
Associate
I wonder, if I paint my full nickel block, is it going to affect the performance.
Don't want any silver in my rig.

Btw. If you clock your 4770k to 4.2 and post results, I can post mine too, for comparison between evo and full nickel.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
At what volts? Remember TIM and mounting as well as ambient temps also matter. That's why my results may not be the same as yours. Plus the IHS and TIM variance between our chips may also counter any of the possible 1-2 C differences.

Associate
I will check to be sure, but I think it was at 1.275v
I have a bad chip, max I can get from it is 4.4 at 1.35v :(
Whole loop have 1080 worth of high fpi rad, temps were reaching 60s under 100% load.

Associate
I am looking for a new block as the nickel-plate on my koolance 370 has started to peel off. I was going to get one of these but having seen the review I can't justify the extra cost over the previous supremacy

Associate
OP
Seeing how the original is either EOL or the same price, why get it at all? This will be supported more in the future with more optimized inserts and jetplates.

Soldato
I was going to get one of these but having seen the review I can't justify the extra cost over the previous supremacy

The new EVO's are the exact same price as the previous models of the same type, are you comparing an EVO gold to an old copper or something? :S

I do think it's kinda lol that they are offering a £30 kit to convert a Supremacy to a Supremacy EVO though XD

Associate
OP
Ya I wasn't expecting it to be that much. The top needs changing though so I can see why. It's also an opportunity for guys to switch from acetal to plexi or vice versa.

Associate
The new EVO's are the exact same price as the previous models of the same type, are you comparing an EVO gold to an old copper or something? :S

I do think it's kinda lol that they are offering a £30 kit to convert a Supremacy to a Supremacy EVO though XD

Yeah now I've read the prices again I looking at the wrong one so I will be ordering an evo when they are back in stock.

Associate
OP
And here I was beginning to wonder if you had passed away in Alaska! Welcome back to civilization and an actually useful internet, Derick :)

Back
Top Bottom