my sister = dip **** stupid. £600 spent, come look what she got...

AtreuS said:
Been there... got the t-shirt.

best bet is to never ever look at it for them... they will ask you to make "doom3" work for the kids and from then on they will moan and whine about it "not being right since you came round"

NEVER EVER EVER fix pc's for family and friends.... you will regret it.

Mate that is so true lol, I learned my lesson the hard way.
Though is only certain people who know nothing about computers who tend to do this, or claim they know someone who is really hot with computers like everyone trys to do.
It comes down to the simple fact that people are both narrow minded and retarded. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Phnom_Penh said:
Hmm, it isn't that bad, its not like someone sold her a p2 350 spec machine for £600, now that's blue murder tbh.

meh, im just dissapointed for the kids is all, they could have at least given her a pci-E system

AtreuS said:
NEVER EVER EVER fix pc's for family and friends.... you will regret it.
I disagree. I love to fix computers for family and firends. Heck, I sometimes do it for people I've never before met. As a geek I see it as my duty to give back to the non-geek world. I'd expect from them the same if our positions were reversed.

I just make it clear that I'm acting in good faith and with careful consideration. I make it clear that any problems are not my fault. I do not accept money for my services and there is no warranty, implied or otherwise, that covers my work.

BillytheImpaler said:
I disagree. I love to fix computers for family and firends. Heck, I sometimes do it for people I've never before met. As a geek I see it as my duty to give back to the non-geek world. I'd expect from them the same if our positions were reversed.

I just make it clear that I'm acting in good faith and with careful consideration. I make it clear that any problems are not my fault. I do not accept money for my services and there is no warranty, implied or otherwise, that covers my work.

So did i... doesnt stop people ringing up at 10pm on a sunday night wanting me to "pop" round to fix something they messed up... but because i looked at the pc 6months ago it "must be something you did". :D

AtreuS said:
My method of operation is not for everyone, of course. Usually I'll try to go out of my way to help other people with their machines. I see it as my duty, I really do.

Imagine this: a buddy of mine has a welder and I break something late at night and I call him up to get the part fixed ASAP. He, as the posessor of the tools and skill will probably do it for me becasue I'd do the same for him using my tools and skills. It's a karma thing, I guess. If my car breaks down late at night and I need a lift, I hope that my friends will go out of their way to help me, regardless of *** time of day.

I dunno, as I said, it's not for everyone.

BillytheImpaler said:
My method of operation is not for everyone, of course. Usually I'll try to go out of my way to help other people with their machines. I see it as my duty, I really do.

Imagine this: a buddy of mine has a welder and I break something late at night and I call him up to get the part fixed ASAP. He, as the posessor of the tools and skill will probably do it for me becasue I'd do the same for him using my tools and skills. It's a karma thing, I guess. If my car breaks down late at night and I need a lift, I hope that my friends will go out of their way to help me, regardless of *** time of day.

I dunno, as I said, it's not for everyone.

I think you have been watching My Name Is Earl to much.
Do good things and good things happen to you, only if that was actually true. :rolleyes:

Traducer said:
Mate that is so true lol, I learned my lesson the hard way.
Though is only certain people who know nothing about computers who tend to do this, or claim they know someone who is really hot with computers like everyone trys to do.
It comes down to the simple fact that people are both narrow minded and retarded. :rolleyes:

I agree!

Raikiri said:
Pentium D 805 - £95
Super Lanboy - £40
430w Seasonic S12 - £41
Windows Home - £55
X800GTO 128mb - £50
Asus P5VD1-X - £40
DVD-ROM - £10
120gb HD - £30
2x256mb ram - £25
KB/Mouse - £10
17inch "generic" TFT - £110

Total = £506

Dual core, dual channel corsair ram, seasonic PSU, nice case, X800GTO for £100 less

She was still ripped off whatever way you look at it.

You forgot to add the warranty too.

People forgot to add 1 major thing - Legit copies of Windows Xp that comes with a pre-built PC. Some even comes with Xp Pro. That's £60 to £100 savings there compare to a DIY one.

i hope im allowed to say this :p

i wonder how many here have a 'legit' xp pro? personally i use server2003 i find it loads faster but a lot of the games i have to rip an image edit the install file to remove the os check

jpmonkey69 said:
You forgot to add the warranty too.

3 years per part genius ;)

Unless that was about them always flogging a warranty "only £50 for us to be useless ****s for 3 years instead of 1"

breadturbo said:
i hope im allowed to say this :p

i wonder how many here have a 'legit' xp pro? personally i use server2003 i find it loads faster but a lot of the games i have to rip an image edit the install file to remove the os check

I don't have a legit pro, I use home instead (actual disc)... I get the most out of my one disc too :p

Last edited:
I've stopped building PC's fro friends and in particular family, it's just not worth the hastle. You stuggle to match the prices offerd by some of the big system builders anyway and there is nothing like knowing that when your parents start moaning about the PC that won't turn on you can give them the tech support number and save yourself the hastle. I'll help out where I can with other poeples PC's but if you build it you end up responsible for it an they never stop comming back for more.

locutus12 said:
my sisters pc has 1 year return to base warrenty on the base unit only !!! kbd / mouse / monitor / not covered !! :eek:

I guess it works out better for me... I would normally build my own PC, but I just bought one from a high street e-tailer.

It's an
AMD 4400XP
1gb RAM
SLi compatible mobo
7900GT
250Gb HDD
DVDRW
FDD w/card reader
19"ws TFT
kb+maus

Cost me just under 1200quid (as I'm not paying for the VAT) and I get a 3 year next business day on site parts and labour warranty on ALL parts.

people buy pcs for warrantys lol.

that reminded me of my very first pc. a Tiny pc basic system

Bought for my christmas and then they went bust and the warranty was void :p

2 months later the psu went on fire and destroyed it, ahh the memorys thanks guys :D

Back
Top Bottom