• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My Test of GRAW running with and without physX

Soldato
“You are like a tadpole swimming against white water rapids. The overwhelming opinion on this and the other side of the globe is that the card is a steaming pile.”
That’s true but that’s all based on the first set of drivers and first game realise code. I used to think the same but unlike a lot of people I don’t make my opinions on something and stick to that old opinion no matter what new facts turn up. The new facts changed my mind on the PPU.

Just like the Rad 9700pro was rubbish with the first drivers then got much better, the PPU card is the same. Most people who says the PPU is rubbish are refusing to believe or look at the new facts. The PPU with new drivers and new game patch’s is much better then pre patch and pre new drivers.

I have seen others say the PPU is much faster with the new game patch but not one person say it’s slower with the patch + drivers. Yet most people still act like the PPU is slow like it was pre patch.

“on a card which makes their games marginally slower or the same FPS and whos effects can be rendered without the PPU.”
I read some posts over there and the people testing said you cannot render all the effects without the PPU and they also got a speed boost with the PPU.

Soldato
Pottsey said:
“You are like a tadpole swimming against white water rapids. The overwhelming opinion on this and the other side of the globe is that the card is a steaming pile.”
That’s true but that’s all based on the first set of drivers and first game realise code. I used to think the same but unlike a lot of people I don’t make my opinions on something and stick to that old opinion no matter what new facts turn up. The new facts changed my mind on the PPU.

Just like the Rad 9700pro was rubbish with the first drivers then got much better, the PPU card is the same. Most people who says the PPU is rubbish are refusing to believe or look at the new facts. The PPU with new drivers and new game patch’s is much better then pre patch and pre new drivers.

I have seen others say the PPU is much faster with the new game patch but not one person say it’s slower with the patch + drivers. Yet most people still act like the PPU is slow like it was pre patch.

“on a card which makes their games marginally slower or the same FPS and whos effects can be rendered without the PPU.”
I read some posts over there and the people testing said you cannot render all the effects without the PPU and they also got a speed boost with the PPU.

With all due respect, I'd be forced to disagree. The overwhelming opinion from the industry reviews and the people who have purchased and tested this card (both in these forums and outside of the forums) is that the current hardware implementation does not make a 'significant enough' difference to either the quality of the images or the quality of gameplay. As such the running observation is "Good idea, poorly implemented, and currently not worth the money spent on it".

A large amount of the PPUs reputation is being put on stake waiting for the introduction of UT2007. I put it to you that Epic will not place its reputation and stake its gameplay on something like the PPU. It is not worth the millions of dollars that they stand to loose to create a game whose gameplay suffers from not having a £200 investment.

IMO Ageia have fudged the release, relying on the lacklustre implementation of GRAW and a few DEMOs. They have unfortunately followed this up by having ill informed PR people giving conflicting stories as to the intended performance of their hardware. Meanwhile Havok have quietly (or not :D ) snuck up behind Ageia with their new, not requireing proprietary hardware, physics implementation that will have a general industry acceptance. As a game developer surely the wise choice would be to implement whatever will sell the most???

Associate
Yes I agree it's all in the evidence, The only thing missing from playing cell factor without the PPU was the cloth and liquid. People who tried both (those who owned the cards) said there was little in it.

Now I would be prepared to believe some evidence if it presents itself in terms of frame rates and perhaps comparison (from an independant) videos of what the game looks like with and without. SO I'll await patiently and see what happens over the next month or so..

Back
Top Bottom