My trip down i7 road.

Associate
OP
facepalm.jpg
comparison :
DSC01896v2.jpg

Gutted, real heartsinking moment.
Just used my picture to locate 2 more absent contacts that I missed when looking it over.
Looks exactly the same, manufacturing fault maybe. Puts me off Gigabyte.

My CPU is fine now thankfully.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How's your EVGA workng out for you?

I'm shopping for a new mobo......

That EVGA is awesome. Much prefer it to the Gigabyte (not only because it works), the BIOS is better layed out, boot is faster, layout is better, warranty is better.

post some pics of the new mobo install!

Cant sry, will upload when I can but camera is currently not connecting.

Associate
Curious. Do you think it might just a bad batch of sockets? If my UD5 had this problem I'd have noticed by now since I've been running the thing at 3.8GHz for the past 3 months!

Permabanned
For all I know, the CPU works fine even with the dodgy socket. I don't care at this point. For this kind of cash, I want something that I won't be worrying about every time I switch it on.

I'd check it if I were you.

Associate
OP
Curious. Do you think it might just a bad batch of sockets? If my UD5 had this problem I'd have noticed by now since I've been running the thing at 3.8GHz for the past 3 months!

Id hope so, worth checking just out of curiosity. If its working OK for you Im not sure Id bother though. There are a lot of people out there with great overclocks on UD5s.

Associate
For all I know, the CPU works fine even with the dodgy socket. I don't care at this point. For this kind of cash, I want something that I won't be worrying about every time I switch it on.

I'd check it if I were you.

I have a friend who has a UD5, and another who is thinking of ordering one.

Of the friend who has the UD5, and myself, we have not have the symptoms you describe (random crashes, etc)... what would cause it (if you could figure out a root cause), how often were the crashes, etc?

I have stressed my CPU with Prime95, played videos in 1080p, played CPU intensive games like Supreme Commander without any problems, so I wanna know was your system fine, and then *wham* one day it just started giving you hell or was the problem present from day one?

Associate
OP
I have stressed my CPU with Prime95, played videos in 1080p, played CPU intensive games like Supreme Commander without any problems, so I wanna know was your system fine, and then *wham* one day it just started giving you hell or was the problem present from day one?

Booted + formatted (1TB + 500GB + 500GB) + installed Windows 7 AND Windows XP, installed a bunch of programs, started copying files from an external HDD then it froze. Was about 8 hours in. Restarted thinking it was just a one off, odd thing. Things worked fine for a few more hours then it went again.
Started to think it was something serious, started looking for issues after that.
Stress testing was odd. Would cause issues anywhere from 10 minutes upto 2 hours after start. Didnt do much gaming. It would go when doing simple things like browsing the internet too.

Permabanned
Day one symptoms for me mate.

Got the components on Monday, and by Tuesday, I couldn't post. The BIOS wouldn't detect my HDD either, but turns out my PSU SATA rail was faulty as well, so I really can't balme the G/B (as much as it would make it easier for me)

Maybe this dodgy socket contributed to the problem, maybe not. But things as they stand, I have no system at the moment.

I could have got the PSU back, plugged everything in again, and all would have been fine if it worked with me being none the wiser, but i've not had a chance to use my new build yet and i've found this problem, so I want a new m/b.

It's as simple as that.

If it's all good for your system, then cool. But i've got to be honest, I don't think i'll be using g/b boards again. I've never had this much trouble in building a new rig.

I guess i'm a wee bit sick of it all and just want to play with my new toy....

Associate
Booted + formatted (1TB + 500GB + 500GB) + installed Windows 7 AND Windows XP, installed a bunch of programs, started copying files from an external HDD then it froze. Was about 8 hours in. Restarted thinking it was just a one off, odd thing. Things worked fine for a few more hours then it went again.
Started to think it was something serious, started looking for issues after that.
Stress testing was odd. Would cause issues anywhere from 10 minutes upto 2 hours after start. Didnt do much gaming. It would go when doing simple things like browsing the internet too.

Either I'm extremely lucky or my UD5 is fine. Still, it's unlucky that your UD5 got this problem.

The EVGA on the other hand is an epic board, and looks so cool to boot. Would have got it if it was out when I bought my system to be perfectly honest. :)

Associate
OP
Either I'm extremely lucky or my UD5 is fine. Still, it's unlucky that your UD5 got this problem.

The EVGA on the other hand is an epic board, and looks so cool to boot. Would have got it if it was out when I bought my system to be perfectly honest. :)

Yeah I wanted the EVGA originally, but everyone ranted and raved about the UD5 and how it was worth the extra cash. Ah well, pleased with it now.

What's the deal with rma anyway - do I have to take another g/b board, or can I demand credit for the cost?

RMA can be a real painful experience. Get the board back to OcUK, then they test it. If they find a problem they send it back to Gigabyte, who will likely repair it (or give you a previously returned+repaired one). If they dont find an issue they will send it back, charge you for checking it, and charge you for postage.

Permabanned
Yeah I wanted the EVGA originally, but everyone ranted and raved about the UD5 and how it was worth the extra cash. Ah well, pleased with it now.

RMA can be a real painful experience. Get the board back to OcUK, then they test it. If they find a problem they send it back to Gigabyte, who will likely repair it (or give you a previously returned+repaired one). If they dont find an issue they will send it back, charge you for checking it, and charge you for postage.

So, I could feasibly get a second-hand board for full-price cost?

Without even using the ****ing thing for longer than a day??????

I might need to take a drive down to OCuk to get this sorted I think.

Associate
OP
So, I could feasibly get a second-hand board for full-price cost?

Without even using the ****ing thing for longer than a day??????

I might need to take a drive down to OCuk to get this sorted I think.

Yeah. Thats what I got when I had to RMA my MSI P7N SLI Platinum. 1st board I recievd back was a *B* Grade with missing heatsink cover, burred mounting holes and a bent pin in the socket. Second one recieved was the same but without the bent pin and with some thermal compound spread around the place.

Drive down there is the best shout, maybe point them to this thread.
If you purchased online within the previous week then you can drop them a webnote and say your returning it under the Distance Selling Regulations (read up on it).

Back
Top Bottom