My TX4 London Black Taxi Project

In order to remove the back seat, which I did on occasion to check for coins etc., I knelt facing the bench seat, put my hands underneath and lifted it up and toward me, doing this in reverse to replace it, pushing forward and down until I felt and heard a click as it seated into the retaining bracket.
You legend! I'll give this a try when I'm out there next. It seems to keep me from accessing all the trim, so need to get it out! Especially when I'll be trimming them as well.

ETA, I noticed the stick shift on your cab, each to his own, and it no doubt won’t matter to you in La République Française, but I would no more consider working a manual in London, than I would consider driving with my eyes shut!
Ha, yes! I don't mind the manual. It's such a short ratio that you're in 5th before you realise it. Luckily I shouldn't be doing too much about town, so shouldn't be too bad anyway.

Thank you for the info, that's really a massive help. Not much online!

Swapped it out for the new pioneer one now and it works a treat. I picked up some 13cm pioneer coax speakers for the rear as well the other day. Got 40quid off, so only cost me 20! Will make it nice all round now as at the moment it's great up front, but nothing for the passengers :P

Had my friend over tonight and asked about the seat trimming, she's up for it, so will get those seats out now and start that all rolling! I can't wait to see it all done with the new covers and all the little things. I think I'm going to tint the rear windows as well, just so it gives a bit more privacy for traveling. Will add it to the list once I've done all the rest of the stuff.

Drivers side rear door done and in.

9xISRIQ.jpg

Note the big sill hole that will be replaced next on the list. As soon as it arrives anyway.

2HJzEEn.jpg

rears all out and panels ready to be covered and holes drilled for switches and speakers and such stuff.

I got a couple of things through, and the carpet arrived for the rear quarters, so figured I'd get the rear speakers in and the USB sockets so I could cover the rear quarters. I cracked on with the fitting of these bits on one side. Broke my dremel motor but got the holes and fitted them. One side anyway. Then was about to fit the carpet, sprayed the glue and opened the carpet...

9X3n9lQ.jpg
They sent me the wrong damn colour carpet!! Now I have to deal with the returns of an amazon seller... great. Will see how that goes... I can't even use this colour anywhere either!

74a2ciE.jpg

Anyway at least this is ready. I can do the other side to the same part and wait for the sound deadening on the backside and see when the replacement carpet comes. Wanted to make the most of my lunch break and so frustrating I couldn't finish it but hey. I'll crack on with the other one tonight and then at least can wire up the speakers to the head unit and test it all out.

Plus point, I got the 30quid refund for the chinese head unit so that's a bonus!

New carpet is on the way. Give it a few days to arrive.

Both speakers now in, with test fitted LEDs behind and sockets each side and MDF rings for some better noise isolation. Just need to wire up the strips with solder to the wires going into the front power now and add the noise deadening / sound deadening sheet when it arrives, cover them and they'll be able to go back in again.

AcB5IdH.jpg

lAX5utB.jpg

Busy week, but hoping to get the headlining out to look at that big job and also then get all the wiring routed to the front and hooked up, so I don't have to get that all back out again!

Man this took me far too long and I know it'll be marmite, but it's supposed to be fun. It's not an A45 AMG, but it does have a starlight headlining now :D

rear quarters and speakers going back in and being wired up. Hopefully soon be able to test the speakers out and have them wired in up front on the head unit too.

Other rear quarter ready to go back in and wired up. I need to wire up the LED strips behind to something and to each other somehow, which is another fun job on the list to work out. I'll try and get the headliner fully in tomorrow when I have a minute between meetings and try and wire up the speakers to the headunit. I'd like to see if they work!
pIDqBw3.jpg

Not done much on the Taxi bar drive it really. It's become the daily, which is OK. The one thing that really needs doing is the seats in the back. I have a friend who is very good at sewing, but was unsure when she could do it all. I wish I could do it as I would love to be able to just do it and not rely on waiting for someone else. That satisfaction too.

Either way, I started taking some of the seats apart and getting the material all ready to just sew together. I did the 2 fold down seat bases (the backs I need to work out how to get them off!) and today started on the rear bench bottoms.

H0WDwZa.jpg
Making the most of making a mess on the dining table

unpicked the material, all the ******* staples out of the base and then started mocking up and pinning each individual piece.

95BytNb.jpg
Oil marks on the new material from being in the garage. It's black vinyl though, fear not. Can't see it.

5Iz5civ.jpg

Old one all unpicked.

780sgIb.jpg
New pieces just laid out. You can't see what it'll be like properly as it's not on the base. But it will look like this:

VIptjJs.jpg

Just in the process of cutting out the side pieces to go around the edges and back and this one is ready for sewing together.

Then back in the garage to crack on with the Audi :P Just had an hour spare so thought I'd make some progress. Might do the other base later as it's really therapeutic to be fair. Rather relaxing. Weird I know. Either way, I think it's going to look bloody wicked, especially when I do the drivers seat too!

I'm really trying to get the audi back on the road so it can go to the garage for paint and then I can get the taxi in the garage to work on some of the mechanics of it. It's brakes are binding at present and needs to go on the stands but they're currently in use... so... need to crack on!

Back to work tomorrow, that's annoying!

Back
Top Bottom