• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My x2 3800+ socket 939, is it ok?

Soldato
2000686503624600482_rs.jpg

LCB9E 0632

ADA3800DAA5CD

Was woundering if all is well? Used some mx 1 paste with plastic bag over finger using freezer bag (hard since most stuck to bag lol) and some a tiny bit just so covered the heatsink copper plate. And a tiny tiny bit in center of cpu so when hsf went on it would spread it out just incase i did too little on cpu top.

Also installed the amd driver but not optimiser yet, duno if i should or need to? Do i, if so why and what will it help with.

Will temps go down at all if so by how much when paste has done 200hrs or whatever. Also should i not have set the core volts to 1.375 in bios (i think its 1.35 actual volts.) Or perhaps set to 1.35 which would have been 1.3v in actual? Since its rated to be ok from 1.3-1.35 on amd site.

Just expected temps to be 30 or lower at stock.

Also is there a benchmark i can do to see how well dual core is doing wana know if its working properly.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
why bother at all with the coolnquiet driver? You're going to overclock anyway skeet :p , optimizer is a must yes for games, fixes stuttering.
It's working fine, that can be seen due to the dual graph in taskmanager.

You can use pcmark05 for example and pcmark 04, both include multithreaded tests, compare to your old score with the 3500+ in them.

Temps aint gona be below 30 C with a freezer 64 mate, escpeially because you always say your room temp is 24 or so, just have to accept 89 watts of heat is more as 67 watts... (EDIT : I think :p )

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Anyone had a 3800+ x2 toledo E6 cpu, when they put it in temps were straight away low like 30ish idle? Just wounderin if mine should have been.

Does anyone think i should reapply the mx 1 paste this time according to mx1. Could it get better? Or shall i do what i was going to do and see how it goes for a week see if temps go right down while the paste settles?

Cos at stock i get 34-36 idle and everest stress test shoots the cpu up to 50c each core which surly isnt right for a suposable cool version of this stepping and chip?

I mean arctic freezer pro 64 aint a bad cooler its got 6 heatpipes and a good design and loads of ppl like it. So cant be cooler could it?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd just leave it as it is tbh, it's working and is pretty much at normal temperatures. My 3800 (AM2) gave me the same temps with my Freezer64, I never ran it long enough to see if temps dropped but just ramped the clocks up on stock volts.
Just watch the temps at load and make sure their not doing anything stupid, can't really go wrong.

Suspended
AMD CPU driver adds mptimer to config, doesn't do any harm installing it, even if not using CAQ.
I don't install optimizer, causes problems.

Associate
What are you using to measure temps? My old Sandiego didn't idle above 40,
I put in a 3800+ X2 and struggling to idle below 50. Is this normal?

Associate
nm, just saw the coretemp screenie. I'm no stranger to applying paste, do some of these cpus just kick out more heat then others?

Associate
my 4800+ used to load on water at >60c stock, and upto 80c when oc'd! (about 11c between cores)

so your doing well imho.
ive had to de-cap it to get close to 30c idle..

Edit:

yes, some cpu;s are just hotter. the LCB9E has a bit of a reputation for being HOT!

Associate
Mine idles at 35C on stock same as my sandy, it tops 65-70C on orthos, and 58C on games.

Im looking on the AMD website and the sandy and the toledo put at the same wattage 89w so i wasnt expecting it to be this hot, its probally becuase i reused the thermpaste on the stock heatsink.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thought these had the rep of been cool lol. :confused:

Tryed a slight overclock today.

HT 220
hyperthread thing 800
divider cpu/11 (5:3 it says in bios)
cpu volts 1.375 (1.35 actual) cos of asus volt screwups
mem was at 200 using divider (ddr 400)
stock geil value 2gb ddr timings of 3,4,4,8 for testing

Ran orthos at priority 5 for 12 mins went through 1 to 4 literations. Orthos was weirdly unresponsive compared to say everest window and task manager which i could move their windows about but touching orhos window just made it non responsive couldnt do anything with it till it restored stability on itself. Thought in orthos priority 1 mean max priority and priority 5 was medium but maybe im wrong i duno, im used to prime 95 not orthos settings.

Also at stock super pi latest one gave me 43 seconds. Whilst overclock to 2200 mhz gave me 47 seconds. Tho at stock im using tight ram timings 2.5,3,3,8 compared to oc at 3,4,4,8. Didnt think ram could effect it so much.

I tryed another oc to 2250

HT 225
Ram at 187 or somit (3:2 divider cpu/12)
800 hyperthreading
same 1.375 volts (1.35 actual)
MP 10

crashed when i got to desktop so i tryed rebooting but kept freezing the whole comp when trying to enter bios so i had to power off fully for 2 mins then try again luckily i could quickly get in bios to restore stock settings before a freeze again happened. So luckily didnt have to reset cmos.

Very disapointed. :(

One thing tho my temps on the cpu have gone to 31 idle per core with just having windows open and the side of case off a tiny bit so gap at top of side panel. (antec p160w case).

2002640698955768203_rs.jpg

Dont like the added noise from the opened bit tho.

Soldato
OP
Hmm when changing cpu over i had the chance to clean the front air filter on my case but i didnt, was too eager to play on it lol. So today like 10 mins ago i took front facit off the case and the filter was all cloged up, so under the tap it went with some cotten buds to give it a good clean it now looks as good as new. Tho my akasa amber fan is trappedn in the front fan slot i cant get it out no matter what i try. Luckily it doesnt look too bad just a tiny bit of dust per fin even then its not all fins just a few. Anyhow i put front facit back on with nice new clean filter back in. And these are my temps with case side on now not slightly ajar as it was before.

2001199880939656197_rs.jpg

So perhaps it wasnt the paste i put on or the cooler. Was probably just the filter needed a clean and perhaps later invest in some more powerful fans. If i can ever get that pesky akasa amber 120mm out of the front. :p

Btw when orthos was going before i cleaned the filter it was going max of 46ish load 33 idle ish. That was with the side of case slightly ajar.

Might see how the max load temps are now so might post again later if its any better, wont bother posting if it didnt.

Associate
Ive hit 2.9ghz on stock volts the temps havent changed so ill probally keep it here. :)
Though i cant play bf2 as memory is running at 240mhz which it dont like.
cpuat29copykw6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
jaykay said:
Ive hit 2.9ghz on stock volts the temps havent changed so ill probally keep it here. :)
Though i cant play bf2 as memory is running at 240mhz which it dont like.
cpuat29copykw6.jpg
You should drop your HTT multi to 3 mate, not sure if it will help in BF2 but hey :)

Soldato
OP
Yes your htt is way over the mark, drop ** htt to 3x like the nice fellow above suggested. Usually common to go to x3 when u hit 250 fsb mark. Regarding ram at 240 drop the multi to next level and it should go more towards 200.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom