NAPOLEON

Irrespective of personal taste (Art is subjective after all) it was a "disaster" as it only made $30m on a budget of over $100m and was panned by both critics and the majority of customers.

However, if you enjoyed the film then none of the above matters really.

Oh it was a commercial disaster for sure, but it’s currently got 85/81 on RT. I thought it was an impressive piece of filmmaking. I particularly enjoyed viewing the same scenes but from different perspectives.

I guess it’s quite an old fashioned film.

Im particularly looking forward to Napoleon though. Hardly anyone other than RS makes these historical epics now, and unfortunately he won’t be doing it for too much longer.

I enjoyed the Napoleon trailer I thought the representation of the battles looked amazing. We've been waiting for some of this 18th and 19th Century stuff to get a good proper representation of war on film and this looks at first glance like it might fit the bill.

I didn't think much to the last new one (Assassin, was it?)
But I should probably give it another go, to be sure. And I will certainly read the new one when it is out.

The series as a whole, I read from start to finish every few years. They're such an easy, light, barnstorming, read.

Cornwell's Arthurian novels are fantastic- if you haven't read those, you'll probably enjoy them too.

What the hell, Ridley Scott is 85 years old?? When did that happen, damn time passes fast.

Perhaps Gladiator 2 will be his last film?! Hopefully not, he must be in good health still to keep working as he does.

I’m really looking forward to Napoleon, not many people make films like this anymore.

As much as I'm also a fan of Vanessa Kirby, and I realise that his private life is something that also needs exploring to show the complete person, I really would prefer it if the film stuck to "Napoleon: The Leader of France and its Greatest Military General" and not "napoleon: the man" which is where the films seems to be going.

The main reason being that "the man" with all his human weaknesses is, for me at least, far less interesting than the "Military Genius and National Leader" side of him, and seeing Kirby saying "look at my bits and you'll want them forever" just doesn't sit well with me, outside of that terrible writing, whereas the military and political bits look far more "authentic" to me.

Well they have to sex it up for the ladies, even tho I'd happily watch 3h of linear warfare, cannons, cavalry and french columns.

I'm listening to a podcast series on his life episode 12 and he's only just got back to Corsica in his early 20s....
Long way to go .p

Last edited:
Looking into the RT review summaries, most of the reputable ‘not a random website’ outlets do seem to like it.

‘Things to like, things to dislike (rather than a home run)’ seems to be the theme, with your enjoyment then depending on how much you are irked by the bad.

Tempted to see it… to go in with low expectations and hopefully be surprised.

Some of the mixed reviews so far -

The Guardian - 5/5 - "[Ridley] doesn’t withhold the old-fashioned pleasures of spectacle and excitement. Phoenix is the key to it all: a performance as robust as the glass of burgundy he knocks back: preening, brooding, seething and triumphing."

The Telegraph - 4/5 - "If, at 85, Ridley Scott has reached the final season of his filmmaking career, Napoleon is the ideal work of wintry grandeur to mark it."

BBC - 4/5 - "It's easy to luxuriate in the dozens of stately homes, the hundreds of gorgeous period costumes, and the countless extras that Scott lays before us. Scene by scene, his proper, old-fashioned historical epic is terrific fun."

Empire - 4/5 - "This is a historical epic which is constantly on the lookout for subtle ways to undercut historical epics."

The Hollywood Reporter - "That’s a lot for any audience to digest in a single sitting, and while Scott can be commended for his ambition, neither he nor Scarpa manage to build those many plot pieces into a fluid narrative."

The Independent - 4/5 - "Napoleon is a traditional, historical epic rendered in Scott’s own brawny, cannily modern style. David Scarpa’s script matches those ambitions, though it’s at its weakest when it bends to narrative convenience. "

Variety - "The script takes on far more than audiences have asked for as it is, to the extent that “Napoleon” ultimately suffers from the same problem as its subject: The film’s ambitions are greater than the people demand, as Scott bites off more than he can manage."

Screenrant - "like the man himself, Napoleon is a confounding film, as exciting as it is plodding and as self-aware of its flaws as Napoleon was blind to his own."

As per usual, the "reviews" don't really do their job in any meaningful way, they never say "why" something is good or bad (script, direction, acting etc) with examples and instead they just discuss the plot (this happened, then this, then this etc) whilst being filled with spoilers which seems to be an oxymoron for a film review i.e. something people might read before watching a film. From the mix of reviews I read, the reviews seem to be firmly split into two encampments, one group which (like myself) wants to see the Military genius and national Leader with less "love story", and another who wants more about the love story between Napoleon and his wife and less about his battles and, from the reviews it certainly seems like the first group are more positive about the film than the second group.

The only fairly universally accepted point in pretty much every review I've read is that, whilst opinions of Joaquin Phoenix's acting choices here vary, everyone absolutely loved Vanessa Kirby.

From the reviews I've read it sounds like its a pretty decent entertainment film, historically inaccurate (I mean, its Hollywood so that was always going to be the case) but good for the eyeballs

Back
Top Bottom