NAS or Other Storage

Soldato
OK so the day has come where my QNAP TS-410 has died and wont power up. Bar a couple of scrap drives I had a RAID1 array which holds some small business accounts/docs plus all our digital photos since c2000. We are only talking 4Tb total size

Not sure if buying a new NAS plus some up to date NAS drives is cost efficient or there is some sort of cloud storage option that would be easier.

Short story - my ass is grass if I lose the family photos if I pick a dodgy solution but not sure I want to spend £400-500 notes on a new NAS

Soldato
If your ass is going to be grass then consider multiple options.

- Decent NAS (Synology/QNAP) with NAS grade drives (WD Reds or equivalent) with RAID configured for availability (RAID isn't backup mkay).
- USB Storage for local backup of NAS
- Cloud Storage for offsite backup of NAS

All of these together; AND not OR.

Remember data doesn't really exist unless its in 3 different storage media and in multiple physical locations.

Soldato
OK so the day has come where my QNAP TS-410 has died and wont power up. Bar a couple of scrap drives I had a RAID1 array which holds some small business accounts/docs plus all our digital photos since c2000. We are only talking 4Tb total size

Not sure if buying a new NAS plus some up to date NAS drives is cost efficient or there is some sort of cloud storage option that would be easier.

Short story - my ass is grass if I lose the family photos if I pick a dodgy solution but not sure I want to spend £400-500 notes on a new NAS

What does your overall backup strategy look like? Please tell me it’s not just a consumer grade NAS?

Soldato
Kind of in the same boat trying to find a simple solution to backing up data. Was thinking a local NAS and perhaps Backblaze seems like an option? Unlimited storage for $60/year? Google is 2TB for £80 a year.

Then there is trusting online storage too... hmm.

Back
Top Bottom