NAS reccomendations

Associate
Currently i have like 6 external usb hard drivers that hold about 14tb worth of old tv series and anime that i watch . I am thinking of getting a NAS to use as a home media servers and would like to look around the 30-40tb range. However as im not totally tech savy any reccomendations what would make a good media server to store files that then can be played like playlists from my windows media player would be good

Soldato
definitely going to be cheaper to build your own PC, but then you'll have to deal with setting up a NAS and managing it when it goes wrong.
I've heard good things about Windows Home server in the past, which might be an easier option if you aren't tech Savvy.

Personally I am using NAS4Free (formally FreeNAS), and although I am not the best when it comes to Linux/FreeBSD I get by with the bit of knowledge I have.

The benefit of building your own PC is that you can expand it later without having to buy a new device.
That 5 bay disk station that bledd has mentioned would not be expandable in future (without replacing drives anyway)

Soldato
Buy a Microserver, new they’re about £100 after cash back, used the older ones are £40+. The older versions will take 6 drives easily and is more than capable of fulfilling NAS duties as well as other services. OS wise I personally love UnRaid, it’s not free, but it’s evolved over the years and continues to be actively developed, makes a decent VM/docker host and it’s very flexible in terms of adding additional storage. You’ll find the cost/TB on 8GB is better than the 10TB versions, 4-6TB tends to be the sweet spot depending on where you source drives from.

Back
Top Bottom