NAS?

Associate
I am, for various reasons, considering getting a NAS and I am considering https://www.overclockers.co.uk/syno...ork-attached-storage-enclosure-hd-0as-sy.html which seems to get good review for the money. I have a 6TB NAS drive that can go in it (and save me listening to the racket it makes in my PC! I am also considering waiting and getting a WD recertified My Cloud (or duo if the price is right).

Now the Synology doesn't come with any drives but from what I can gather is generally just better. Its just tempting to wait (I dont need to do this tomorrow or anything) and pick up one of the WD recertified ones as the prices are great when they actually have any in stock. Had a couple of other USB drives from them as re certified and they have been great.

Would anyone try to sway me in either direction? Its just a couple of TVs, my PS4 and my PC that are in the house, and only two people so usage wouldn't be that much. Just getting sick of having my PC on all the time to run plex or the like.

Caporegime
I have the 2015 version still going strong.

I have mapped folders to my laptop, so can download straight to it, and have it as a media library for my Plex and DS Video apps on my smart tv.

I use DS Video for the times that Plex needs to transcode, as the Synology doesn't have the grunt to do that, and direct play through DS Video works 99% of the time.

Associate
It depends what you want it for. If you want a file server, and you trust their cloud platform enough then the device is great.

If you want to do processing on the data (such as the plex from above), or serve the files via a website, then a micro server might suit your needs better.

Associate
I have the Synology DS218+ with IronWolf drives and definitely recommend for media server/Plex use. Have been using mine to get all my media online, backed up, & it's pretty easy to set up and figure out even for those who aren't experienced in NAS.

Soldato
Got a couple of older nas's they're great for whole home video/audio storage but don't do any transcoding.

Looking into a new nas as my two 200mhz nas's too slow for squrezebox. Synology still have squeezebox packages so deciding get single drive new model or multiple drive. I think my go former a single 8tb faster nas multiple times the capacity of existing music plus going from 200mhz to dual or quad core much fastrr

Back
Top Bottom