Nationwide calls time on the Bank of Mum & Dad.

Soldato
Blimey, are surveyor costs just expensive? or are there additional things that get added to the legal costs?

Quoted from my "completion of account";

To charge for the Conveyance including Cadastre and Greffe research, attendance on site, reporting on title, preparing and drafting conveyance, approving conditions of sale, liaising with estate agent, attendance in court, advising Cadastre of change of ownership, all telephone calls, meetings and correspondence - £2,450.00

Document Duty - £7,793.50

Paid to the States of Guernsey:- Court charge, Jurats' fee, Greffe administration charges, registration fee and disbursements - £265.00

To charge for Immunity Certificate - £70.00

All a bit crazy, but hey - it's done now and I have a home of my own :D

Caporegime
fixed it for you. All rentals are expensive and overpriced :p I used to work with a guy who lived round the corner from me. He was about 20 years older than me though so owns a small 3 bed semi. He nearly **** a brick when I told him how much my rent was on a small 2 bed flat. He was so embarrassed he wouldnt even tell me how much (little) his mortgage was. So, this was a guy who was probably 2 levels senior to me, earning probably twice as much, paying probably a third of my rent on his mortgage. And you wonder why the <40s are screwed when it comes to the housing market

Had same.
People earning much more on lower mortgages. Its why things have to and will correct.
Otherwise there will be too many expensive houses for wages. Which means price falls. Just hope they are gradual. I haven't really looked too much at Japan. But if prices are falling does that mean no one buys?
Or do the house builders slow down as no one wants to buy?

Just to add a bit more bitterness

If I hadn't have gone to uni I could well have been on that house ladder and have been seeing some gains.

Unfortunately I did. Which is 5 year of no earnings and building up debt. Could have easily have been 5 years into owning plus.

University is a con if you end up in IT.
Very few degrees are worth anything.

Soldato
It's so prohibitive, I'm just fortunate enough to be in a position that allowed me to purchase by myself. The vast majority of people here have to go in to a mortgage with a partner due to how prohibitive property prices and fees are.

Soldato
I'm not seeing a link from the OP. I'm not sure I totally understand what all this means. If my parents want to gift me money towards a deposit does this mean Nationwide won't give me a mortgage? Well they can go suck a **** as far as I'm concerned! How exactly is anyone in the SE supposed to buy their first home? :confused: This makes for interesting reading; https://www.legalandgeneral.com/lan...t/reports/bank-of-mum-and-dad-report-2017.pdf In the last 5 years, over 60% of FTBs under 35 received help from their parents... The bank of Mum and Dad is lending so much it's the equivalent of the UK's 9th largest mortgage lender :o I don't know what Nationwide are thinking...

Maybe they have data showing that those people who received help from their parents are more likely to default on their mortgages? The extra deposit may have resulted in them getting a mortgage that wasn't affordable? I don't know but banks rarely make decisions without thinking. There must be some link between it that has resulted in them taking this decision.

It makes logical sense that FTBs who are able to save deposits on their own are probably a lower risk.

Your report states that FTB in the SE are the least likely to have help from friends and family though, too.

Soldato
Quoted from my "completion of account";

Document Duty - £7,793.50

All a bit crazy, but hey - it's done now and I have a home of my own :D

What on earth actually is document duty? Your legal feels look pretty similar to the UK, but no idea what this document duty is. Is that some sort of tax the Guernsey government have? Do you have a form of stamp duty? - or is this probably it?

Soldato
What the ****? :confused:

That seems like a bizarre thing to enforce... As if getting on the property ladder isn't already hard enough for this generation?

Bank of Mum and Dad seems like ‘help’ but it bakes in inequality and keeps house prices high.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
The controversial new policy states that borrowers looking to get a mortgage that will cover 90 per cent of the cost of their home must prove that no more than a quarter of their deposit was gifted to them. The rule does not apply to customers looking for deals at 85 per cent loan-to-value or lower. (The Independent)
It does appear (quite reasonably) that Nationwide are doing this in order to ensure that people who may have "scraped" together a deposit, with the help of their parents, are actually capable of saving and thus keeping up their repayments. In the current economic climate with the risk of many job loses I guess that that makes complete sense.

I am less convinced by the Government's apparent enthusiasm for negative interest rate to encourage people to Spend, Spend, Spend today because you needn't care about tomorrow!

Caporegime
Somewhere cheaper so I can save £200 a month? Great, it'll only take me 5 years to get the 20% deposit required, by which time house prices will have likely increased by over 50% so my £20k won't be enough. You make it sound so easy mate.

I'm 45, my parents wouldn't want me back and I wouldn't want to live there. Christ my eldest brother stays there at the moment! Mind you their house is paid off so once they shuffle off my brothers and I will move back in LOL.

There are options available.

Second job, cut down on expenditure.

You can buy a flat in Paisley for £20k.

That at least gets you on the ladder. Let's you build up equity and savings to then move up the ladder when you can.

If you want something badly enough you can make it happen.

Soldato
Surely the source of the deposit is irrelevant. It’s the purchaser’s ability to make the monthly payment that is the important bit, or have Nationwide been assuming that by having a deposit that they’re somehow otherwise good for the mortgage repayment regardless of ongoing income?

Edit:
Or are the bank facing issues due to inheritance tax?

Or they see a problem with those who are gifted large amounts of money not having the financial responsibility to own a home and the bank of mum and dad is no longer bailing them out?

Caporegime
There are options available.

Second job, cut down on expenditure.

You can buy a flat in Paisley for £20k.

That at least gets you on the ladder. Let's you build up equity and savings to then move up the ladder when you can.

If you want something badly enough you can make it happen.

Just move to Paisley, get a second job and live on beans on toast, try not to worry too much about the low-level drug dealers and convicted sex offenders you have as neighbours.

image.jpg

Soldato
Do banks still check debtors ability to make their monthly payments or has that gone out the window or something?

It's the potential lack of financial responsibility that I think Nationwide is trying to mitigate. Earning £30K per year is great on paper but if the person / couple are spending 75% of that on useless junk, the mortgage may not get paid.

Couples saving for their house deposit on their own might seem to have more "skin in the game", versus just being handed a wodge of cash from Mum and Dad.

Soldato
Couples saving for their house deposit on their own might seem to have more "skin in the game", versus just being handed a wodge of cash from Mum and Dad.
But what about those that need to borrow/be gifted money from their parents simply to get on the ladder. E.g. in non-descript commuter areas such as (picking randomly here) such as West Berkshire, Chelmsford, Tunbridge Wells, Sussex (actually I could go on) average FTB deposits are all around or above £50k; https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/0...ch-mortgage-deposit-do-you-need-in-your-area/

I agree with your sentiment but if other banks follow suit this will make buying a first-home anywhere south of Northamptonshire completely impossible for anyone. Maybe we shoudl be applauding it, as it might drive down prices if we forget all the BTL and investors that will reap the rental rewards :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom