Need a solid storage solution/ purchase advice

Associate
Recently made another thread regards a corrupt memory card ive had which luckily ive managed to recovery and find some precious videos of my daughter and made me think ive got backups across various drives.

I really need something sold to store these that wont go corrupt and potentially last forever.

Can anybody suggest anything?

Internal or external just the best and safest solution?

Associate
Firstly, no media lasts forever. Worse, backups that are safe often become unreadable simply because supporting software changes and or is dropped by the mainstream manufacturers. It is best to use something that is mainstream such as a SATA HDD. Even that, though, may disappear in the near future, so you always need to be aware of changing standards and to potentially move your backups to new media. A backup drive works best if it is not in your PC, so if your main PC fails it doesn't take out the backup drive at the same time. A network storage or USB device is a great idea. Ideally these should only be connected when needed, bearing in mind though that in theory they can only be disconnected for five years or so before they may lose data. In general it's a good idea to replace backup drives every five years or so anyway to avoid data loss, ageing hardware and dated firmware. So, a USB drive is a good plan. Just get a new one every five years.
A cheaper option is a USB writeable DVD. The disks last a fair time and you can buy an external writer for £20. The only minor issue with these is that sometimes you find that disks created by one machine can't be read by anything else. So you think you are making backups when in fact you aren't. If you want to try that route then really you need access to some DVD machines to check the disks you are creating a widely readable. Also if you smoke the rewriters don't last very long.

Associate
Hi adamg64! Seagate here. Any media that you consider critical it is widely recommended to be backed up with the 3-2-1 method: Keep 3 copies of your data, stored on 2 different devices locally and one of them offsite in case of a disaster. It is a good idea to have an external medium to keep your backups, that way if you have a drive failure in your PC, it shouldn't also affect your backup. Redundant, on and off-site backups protect from far more data loss variables than with only one option of backup data.

For more info on backups, see our Knowledge Base Article.

A good internal option would be our Barracuda Drives. The standard version comes with a 2 year warranty, and the Pro version a 5 year warranty. One benefit of the Pro version is that it also comes with 2 free years of our Rescue Services program. As far as externals go, you could check out both the Expansion and Backup Plus lines.

Thank you for considering Seagate, regardless of which route you decide to go in the end!

Soldato
I use 2 old spin drives in my PC as backups, both contain identical data and only one is plugged in.
I have a 3rd spin drive not in the computer, again with the same data on it.

My backup data is pretty static though so I only have to sync them once on a blue moon so that makes things easier, I don't back up OS or games, just essential documents and my music collection, so I don't have an automated backup regime, I just drag and drop from the master copy.

These are just old 250gb spin drives that I've accumulated over time and are essentially worthless, with backups you have to consider that new or old, any drive can potentially fail at any time, hence the 3 drive strategy is pretty safe.

Associate
The best policy is to store it in multiple places and replace when one fails.
I'd go for an internal drive, an external drive/nas, and cloud storage (if you trust it) like google drive etc.
You could raid mirror the internal drive for extra redundancy.

Associate
OP
Where did you get the card from? If it was a cheap eBay or amazAm reseller, then it's likely fake.

it was amazon mate, and i was constantly flipping it between devices so im partly to blame for it, ive been stung on ebay before for dodgy cards so wont do that again for the sake of 1-2quid

Back
Top Bottom