Need advice on new router

Associate
Hey,

I hope someone can offer some advice?

I am on the market for a new router. I’m currently using the Virgin hub 3 but the wifi isn’t great. There is one room in my house that only get a weak signal. Basically I'm looking for a stand alone router, I don’t want to set up a mesh network network at the moment. I have seen that on some routers you can buy a second ones and set it up as an access point if you want to at a later date. What I’m really looking for is a router with really good range and obviously good speeds. I’m not very technical so I don’t want to have to buy a router that you have to fiddle with hundreds of setting to make work to its best. I’ve watched loads of review on YouTube and stuff but you never know who to trust as loads of them say Netgear but I’ve only ever known people to have had problems with them and all the Amazon review say how unreliable they are. Other views are raving about the ASUS Ax86? I was looking at maybe getting the ASUS Ax86 but I’m worried it won’t be any improvement over the ASUS ac86 which I made the mistake of purchasing last year only to find out ac86 is on the same performance level as the Virgin Hub 3 and doesn’t offer any advantages in terms of speed or range I’ve it.

Any recommendations on a super solid router would be welcome. I don’t want complicated to set up either! Lol!

Thank you for reading.

Oh my budget is up to £300.

Associate
OP
I already use power line adaptors upstairs but my wiring is really poor. That why I’m looking for a good wifi single around my house.

Associate
I'd have thought you would have found the AC-86 a considerable upgrade from your superhub really. Its certainly a more powerful device. If not then really your talking the big boys like the AC-88 or the newer AX-88 as they would be the next caliber up.

I recently purchased a Netgear X6 router (From the members market on here actually) and its proved to be a massive upgrade compared to my hub 3. Whilst I still dont get a great 5ghz signal in some areas of the house (I'm talking the opposite corner of the hosue to the router through severla walls) I now get around 130-150mb on a phone on 2.4ghz in a location I struggled to get 20 with the hub3. A quick google suggests the range on the X6 is better than the AC-86 so maybe thats why I'm having more success. You can pick X6's up pretty cheap second hand if you look around, but I wouldn't pay the new price for them. If you are deciding to go new you probably want something like the new AX-88 if you dont want to go mesh.

Associate
OP
Thank you for being so detailed. Really appreciated that.

I was looking at the AX88 as well. I really do like the look of the Netgear routers but on every online shop I look at every body says to steer clear of them due to so many problems? My problem is range as well as speed. I was thinking about eventually getting 2 routers and setting one up as an AP Via wifi but I worry I won’t be able to manage it? There seems to be so many different setting people say you should tweek here and tweek there to make the router(s) to perform at their best.

Soldato
If you want to improve the WiFi, don’t replace the router, instead run a cable to the loft, bring it through the landing ceiling and connect an AP to it, this will likely transform your WiFi coverage and cost way, way less than your stated budget, even if you have to pay someone to install the cable. Alternatively depending on your package VM are offering kit to give 100% coverage, alternatively for lower packages it has a monthly cost.

Soldato
If you want to improve the WiFi, don’t replace the router, instead run a cable to the loft, bring it through the landing ceiling and connect an AP to it, this will likely transform your WiFi coverage and cost way, way less than your stated budget, even if you have to pay someone to install the cable. Alternatively depending on your package VM are offering kit to give 100% coverage, alternatively for lower packages it has a monthly cost.

This or disable the wireless on the router and get a pair of mesh WiFi boxes..

I use the TP link deco e4s put a set or 3 at a customers who was for ever calling me about issues with his milti 100£ router.. I have 2 at home they worked so well the wife unplugged the ethernet from 1 and it connected to the wired one wirlessly and it took over a month for me to notice .. I work from home and only use Netflix / amazon..

It's 50/50 weather an expensive router will give any better wireless compared to what you ready have anyway

Back
Top Bottom