Need advice with buying a new pc?

Associate
Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I feel like computing has advanced so much since I used to play (CS 1.3/1.6). I'm not looking to build my pc as my lifestyle and disposition are not compatible (lazy?). So I have been looking at buying a pc pre built on this site but it's quite a lot to take in. Intel, AMD, Ryzen? It all seems quite a lot of information, I have tried to do some research but I'm just not sure.

I'm hoping to find some experts on this site that can perhaps point me in the right direction. I tend to play all games but mainly story based games but I dable in warzone and apex on console so I am hoping to transfer that over. If I'm completely honest I'm looking to get a pc for Diablo 2 remake but I want something that easily plays everything at semi high settings.

My budget is around 1500-1700, I have a razer raptor 27 monitor as I managed to get it on the cheap.

Soldato
This one is a good shout, you could always install Windows yourself and save a £100 off the price but depends how lazy your feeling :p

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Gaming Rapier - AMD Ryzen 5600X, GeForce RTX 3070Ti Gaming PC = £1,679.05
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Case:*Build Stock* Phanteks Eclipse P400 Air Midi Tower DRGB Case - Black
    • Processor:AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core 4.6GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - MPK
    • 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive 1:Unwanted
    • Storage Drive:Unwanted
    • Memory:Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C17 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    • 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • M.2 Solid State Drive 1 (Primary Drive if Selected):WD Blue SN550 1TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS100T2B0C)
Total: £1,693.15 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Associate
OP
Thanks Joxeon! How would I go by installing windows? Wouldn't it be the same price if I decided to do it myself?

If I got the pc would it have an OS to install it? Haha. I'm too old and too stupid.

Do you think an additional solid state drive would be a good idea if I save myself 100 quid.

Soldato
You just need to download the Windows 10 media creation tool on to a USB drive then in the bios change the boot order to USB and it will run and take you through the steps, you can then pick up a cheap activation key for a tenner.

You could always add a 2nd drive if you want more storage or even upgrade the CPU to the 8 core 5800X if you want to keep the build for a long time and don't want the hassle of upgrading the CPU yourself later on etc.

Soldato
That Kolink garbage PSU would be in need of change in that pre-built.
Phanteks AMPs are very well priced at the moment.

Soldato
Not sure how I would change the PSU (power supply unit?) As it doesn't give me an option.

What if I increased my budget to the below, is the increase worth it.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...core-i7-9700k-geforce-rtx-3070-fs-1dz-og.html
That PC is far worse than the one I spec'd.

You could give them a ring or post the build in the customer service section pre sales quieries and ask them to upgrade the psu but either way the PC is covered by OCUK for 3 years so I'd guess they have enough confidence in what power supplies they use to offer that warranty.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/community/pre-sales-queries.117/

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure how I would change the PSU (power supply unit?) As it doesn't give me an option.
Those prebuilts usually have many not best parts.

Not sure what prices they've calculated into those.
But that Kingston memory is £5 more expensive at list price than faster latency Crucial.
Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit= £74.99
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C17 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit= £79.99

While full speed PCIe v3 NVMe is only £10 more than entry level WD Blue SN550.
Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB SSD PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (ZP1000GM3A011)= £99.95
WD Blue SN550 1TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS100T2B0C)= £89.99

Neither are those cheap slim smallish radiator waterpipe coolers actually that good in continuous cooling per noise.
While water absorpts good amount of heat energy slowing temperature rise, in continuous load all heat has to be dissipated into air and that needs lots of surface area.
And anyway for only six core Ryzen there's little sense in expensive cooler.
Already £30 would give very good coolers for it.
Alpenfohn Brocken ECO Advanced CPU Cooler - 120 mm= £29.99

Associate
OP
Thanks all! Its a lot to take in, will head towards the Joxeon build as it seems to hit all the criteria and perhaps upgrade the CPU (Prossesor?) Seems like my budget has jumped up to 1800 which I am happy with just want something that will last a while and can game fairly comfortably with anything I through at it!

Back
Top Bottom