• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

need help choosing a new CPU

Associate
Hi all,

Have been learning a lot of the hardware side of computers lately and I am looking to speed up my machine. i have been browsing processors but not really sure on how to distinguish them for what would suit me best? all i do is play games and render stuff but my issue is just from opening programs after startup. it takes steam like 5 minutes until it starts to load.

currently i have an AMD ryzen 5 2600X 6 core. motherboard is an aorus B450 elite and of what i understand, only takes AMD ryzen CPUs.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hi all,

Have been learning a lot of the hardware side of computers lately and I am looking to speed up my machine. i have been browsing processors but not really sure on how to distinguish them for what would suit me best? all i do is play games and render stuff but my issue is just from opening programs after startup. it takes steam like 5 minutes until it starts to load.

currently i have an AMD ryzen 5 2600X 6 core. motherboard is an aorus B450 elite and of what i understand, only takes AMD ryzen CPUs.

Thanks.
Hard disk or SSD? Loads of startup programmes loading?

Man of Honour
Even a 5400 rpm hard drive shouldn't take 5 minutes to load steam, you've got something else wrong there buddy

Associate
OP
now that you mention it i did go back to HDDs which will effect the load times i guess. had bad experiences with SSDs. 2 boot disk failures and 1 go corrupt all on different machines. so from my personal experience i think theyre unreliable.

also me like whirring noise.

Permabanned
now that you mention it i did go back to HDDs which will effect the load times i guess. had bad experiences with SSDs. 2 boot disk failures and 1 go corrupt all on different machines. so from my personal experience i think theyre unreliable.

:cry:

So, you're saying there is no hope for you?! :cry:

oh, well, maybe there is:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £71.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Just order it without thinking. 5 years warranty will serve you well.

Soldato

Get a modern Samsung one with 5 year warranty

Associate
There is no place for mechanical hard disks anymore apart from storage. It sounds like you have had bad luck with SSD's however they are essential these days especially with modern consoles being built around some pretty fast ones. Nothing wrong with your processor just get some good quality SSD's

Associate
Soldato
if you have corruption on your system drive, it may be symptoms of hardware errors especially RAM and/or CPU. sometimes can be motherboard ports. SSDs even the really cheap ones are still very reliable. the only ones that were dodgy were the first couple of generations from 10 years ago where the cells would corrupt due to firmware being rubbish.

so i would get SSD and start everything fresh and do lots of stress tests to see if you have any hardware issues.

the article below gives a pretty comprehensive range of tests you can do to find out if you have issues.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/stress-test-cpu-pc-guide,5461.html

Soldato

A lot of modern games stream hi-res textures from storage these days, if you try doing that with a HDD games will noticeably stutter and lag and it won't be nice experience.

Associate
Sounds a lot like damaged sectors of an hdd. You could download and run a test nothing too complicated. But anyway definitely get an SSD, if you get a good quality one you are definitely not going to regret it. From my experience they are way more reliable than HDDs these days.

Associate
imagine going from a HDD to a Gen 4 nvme with 4000+ mb write speeds. its like going from dial up to FTTP

I did it from HDD to Gen 3 end of last year, was just something that was never important until I had spare cash and couldn't buy the GPU I wanted.. felt like an idiot after that first boot.

Back
Top Bottom