• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need help deciding on GPU

Associate
OP
OK so i kind of took peoples advice and after much deliberation i decided to spend a bit more and fix it for good, for now. So..

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-574-gi.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3af-am.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-grey-tlgd416g30-my-087-tg.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ess-graphics-card-11276-02-40g-gx-38f-sp.html

So far i've tested the Vega56 with the old FX6300+8gb and it's an incredible bump in performance over the 580 4GB but it just shows how the FPS can't be fixed by throwing more GPU hp at it when there's a sudden drop in frames but the gpu usage goes down lol.

So when i've built the new rig i'll report back, if anybodies interested that is :D

A £656.92 injection was needed but i should get easy £200 for the used parts

Associate
OP
If AMD didn't do what they do i don't think i'd of ever bothered with pc gaming but their prices are a winner. Intel stuff is way to expensive for my tastes.

Associate
OP
First part of tests prove the FX6 wouldn't of ever been able to handle Pcars2 at neither 1080p@60 nor 1440p@60. Cockpit view on certain conditions like 1pm sunny with 8 cars maybe 1080p and 1440p but not 30+cars in the rain. Not ever. When i re-build the rig tomorrow i should get 1440p@75 with everything maxed easy! woohoo! Thanks guys!

Associate
Glad you saw the light. I bought a 1070 Ti as an upgrade from a GTX 970 for 3440x1440 gaming, and other than for a Forza benchmark/some 'empty scenes' in games, I was horribly bottlenecked by an FX-8350. I pulled the trigger on Ryzen a few weeks later, and finally the upgrade felt like an upgrade.

TBH I should benchmark the Ryzen with the GTX 970 while I still can and see what the difference really was.

Associate
OP
Glad you saw the light. I bought a 1070 Ti as an upgrade from a GTX 970 for 3440x1440 gaming, and other than for a Forza benchmark/some 'empty scenes' in games, I was horribly bottlenecked by an FX-8350. I pulled the trigger on Ryzen a few weeks later, and finally the upgrade felt like an upgrade.

TBH I should benchmark the Ryzen with the GTX 970 while I still can and see what the difference really was.

Yeah exactly. I'm gonna bench mark the RX580 before i put the Vega in but i imagine i'll be quite impressed. If i couldn't of afforded to do both i would've been right to go with Panos' suggestion doing CPU first but as it stand i know, with my own eyes, what a true CPU bottleneck looks like..

Associate
Yeah exactly. I'm gonna bench mark the RX580 before i put the Vega in but i imagine i'll be quite impressed. If i couldn't of afforded to do both i would've been right to go with Panos' suggestion doing CPU first but as it stand i know, with my own eyes, what a true CPU bottleneck looks like..

Aye, I'm with you. It did look hopeful that the FX series could be revived through DX12 being able to fully utilize multiple cores and threads, but that was a short-lived hope for me at least:

2x3V4w9.jpg

Associate
OP
Aye, I'm with you. It did look hopeful that the FX series could be revived through DX12 being able to fully utilize multiple cores and threads, but that was a short-lived hope for me at least:

2x3V4w9.jpg

:eek:

Goodness,I bet that upgrade felt good. I'm doin the build later today so I'll get that relief later, problems not withstanding. Refusing to pay £80 for 16GB of DDR3 was what started this but i'm glad i came to terms with it. AMD once again like back in 2014 have done me a solid and that's why i give them my money for the GPU and didn't go Nvidia. Plus the Sapphire V56 for £315 with all three free games is an incredible value deal. Possibly the best price anywhere as we speak. Thanks again to you guys, OCUK and AMD. Companies who really do look after their customers. :D

Associate
Good luck with the big system refit. I agree, that V56 is a killer deal for the price you got it, and Ryzen will be an enormous upgrade both for older DX11 games/badly optimised ones, as well as the newest DX12 AAA multithreaded ones. World of difference over an FX series and will likely revitalize your gaming experience more than any benchmark can show.

Associate
OP
As long as i take my time everything should be fine, Windows re-installs SO much faster these days. I remember ringing them up to confirm i only had this key on one pc :D lolz.. The old days when 32meg of ram was enough :p

Associate
OP
i noticed the Sapphire required both primary PCI-E power connectors to start up. Wouldn't kick in with a shared one. So good job i had 2x 2x8pins on this psu..

Associate
OP
Good luck with the big system refit. I agree, that V56 is a killer deal for the price you got it, and Ryzen will be an enormous upgrade both for older DX11 games/badly optimised ones, as well as the newest DX12 AAA multithreaded ones. World of difference over an FX series and will likely revitalize your gaming experience more than any benchmark can show.

Will i be able to upgrade to Ryzen3000 on this motherboard?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-574-gi.html

Associate

No one knows yet for sure, but its very likely going by what AMD have committed to regarding the AM4 chipsets.

How ready any board can be is another issue. The best guestimate on board rankings is here (though largely from an overclocking perspective, not potential Ryzen 3xxx compatibility):

xda4pmf92pw11.png

Associate
As long as i take my time everything should be fine, Windows re-installs SO much faster these days. I remember ringing them up to confirm i only had this key on one pc :D lolz.. The old days when 32meg of ram was enough :p

You might find Windows doesn't activate. That happened to me with my recent upgrade despite linking it to a Microsoft Account beforehand. It took a couple of very long daunting sessions with the company who does Microsoft's tech support remote desktopping to my PC to sort it. I hate that sort of thing, but it worked out alright in the end and no sign afterwards that my system's been compromised after some thorough checks.

Associate
OP
No one knows yet for sure, but its very likely going by what AMD have committed to regarding the AM4 chipsets.

How ready any board can be is another issue. The best guestimate on board rankings is here (though largely from an overclocking perspective, not potential Ryzen 3xxx compatibility):

xda4pmf92pw11.png

OK looks promising, thanks

Associate
OP
You might find Windows doesn't activate. That happened to me with my recent upgrade despite linking it to a Microsoft Account beforehand. It took a couple of very long daunting sessions with the company who does Microsoft's tech support remote desktopping to my PC to sort it. I hate that sort of thing, but it worked out alright in the end and no sign afterwards that my system's been compromised after some thorough checks.

Should be able to just login with my windows email and password after booting off the usb. Re-installed just last year and it was painless. Activated immediately once i put my screen pin in which was the same as before.

Associate
Should be able to just login with my windows email and password after booting off the usb. Re-installed just last year and it was painless. Activated immediately once i put my screen pin in which was the same as before.

Fingers crossed. For me that didn't work, the troubleshooting thing didn't work (multiple times), but tech support with remote desktop hijacking of my PC did. Hopefully it'll not be an issue for you (I suspect I'm in the minority with that experience).

I braved it and didn't format, just removed some drivers and let Windows 10 do the rest. Maybe that was the issue.

Associate
OP
Fingers crossed. For me that didn't work, the troubleshooting thing didn't work (multiple times), but tech support with remote desktop hijacking of my PC did. Hopefully it'll not be an issue for you (I suspect I'm in the minority with that experience).

I braved it and didn't format, just removed some drivers and let Windows 10 do the rest. Maybe that was the issue.

Yeah i've always been taught to fresh install onto a formatted HDD. I've just been going through the c drive to check i'm not leaving anything behind.

Associate
OP
I'm back and running no probs except all i got is a frame, mobo, Aio, GPU, M.2 and power switch all plugged in.. I'll sort the rest out later... It'll be background updating i'm sure so i'll take a break and leave it to settle a while.. There's no rush so i'll savor the experience. That was really easy just more disclaimers than ever. Gonna test the 580 first.. Bet it's almost good enough on this chip.

Associate
OP

It didn't activate because i changed the mobo.. Do you have the number to call?

Back
Top Bottom