Need help figuring out if i'm going deaf or my schiit stack has a problem

Soldato
You could use an SPL app on a smartphone to get some idea of what dB your headphones are reaching. Whether that would be any less accurate than a cheap SPL meter, I don't know.

A friend of mine loves loud volume when he uses his headphones (Sennheiser HD25); far greater than anything I can stand.

He reckons he has wrecked his hearing though from many years DJ'ing in a nightclub.

Smartphone apps only tend to really work well when calibrated against an actual meter for reference.

Soldato
Makes sense that it would need to be calibrated in order to be accurate.

I suppose that shows why comparing to anyone else's setup, even with the same headphones, DAC and amp, would kind of meaningless; there is likely to be too much of a variance in ambient reading.

In a quiet room mine reads 47dB; a fair bit of difference.

Calibrating so ambient is 0dB, would likely give a close enough reading to compare with other people.

Associate
As above you need to calibrate, but to a known source, for example my vacuum cleaner manufacture specs says its 87 Db.
I had to adjust my app to plus 11Db for it to read this.
Even this is not very accurate but Good enough for a rough idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly, for anyone serious about audio, it's like 15 quid for an SPL meter on eBay. It'll go a long way for allowing you to turn your volume up to as high as safe limits allow (~75dB for 24/7 safe listening, for example).

3 o'clock at 78dB definitely seems like a whack meter, cause that's loud, but not *loud*. Which you'd expect from a decent amp.

Back
Top Bottom