Need help wiring up !

Associate
In fairness you can't possibly send that CPU back; it's wrecked. You are just going to have to take the hit and learn by your mistakes. I wouldn't be suprised if the mobo has taken damage too looking at how many pins are bent you must have given it some force.

I'd cut my losses, keep the board and buy a cpu that's compatable with it. Or do as jessie says and return the board and start a fresh but there is no way you'll get away with returning that cpu. You could try amd bend the pins straight again to put in a correct motherboard , whether they'll snap or to what effect on performance it would be questionable

Associate
In fairness you can't possibly send that CPU back; it's wrecked. You are just going to have to take the hit and learn by your mistakes. I wouldn't be suprised if the mobo has taken damage too looking at how many pins are bent you must have given it some force.

I'd cut my losses, keep the board and buy a cpu that's compatable with it. Or do as jessie says and return the board and start a fresh but there is no way you'll get away with returning that cpu. You could try amd bend the pins straight again to put in a correct motherboard , whether they'll snap or to what effect on performance it would be questionable
That is a picture of a CPU socket on the motherboard. Not a CPU the motherboard is borked

Associate
My bad, just seen pins and presumed cpu. Never done an intel build I've always been AMD.
I take it the mobo pins go into the cpu rather than with amd the cpu pins go into the mobo?

If that's the case hopefully it hasn't damaged the cpu and it's a less expensive mistake.

Amazon will pick up on the damage as you won't be the first and I doubt it would go unnoticed. If you've got a second board then I'd imagine they'll charge you for both once it goes through checks at their returns department just to be aware. Probably best to cancel the order

Last edited:
Associate
My bad, just seen pins and presumed cpu. Never done an intel build I've always been AMD.
I take it the mobo pins go into the cpu rather than with amd the cpu pins go into the mobo?

If that's the case hopefully it hasn't damaged the cpu and it's a less expensive mistake
Yeah I did a double take when I saw it I haven't bought an intel cpu in donkeys years. Onboard pins are so delicate it is unreal. CPU pins are way more sturdy.

He bought it from the place that doesn't pay tax. That has a "whatever we don't care" attitude to refunds. He's skint, don't send him on a guilt trip. He sends it & the cpu back gets a refund & then he can get advise on here on a compatible cpu/mobo setup within his budget.

@sprouty619 What is your budget for a cpu & motherboard & what do you mainly want to use the PC for?

Associate
Yeah I did a double take when I saw it I haven't bought an intel cpu in donkeys years. Onboard pins are so delicate it is unreal. CPU pins are way more sturdy.

He bought it from the place that doesn't pay tax. That has a "whatever we don't care" attitude to refunds. He's skint, don't send him on a guilt trip. He sends it & the cpu back gets a refund & then he can get advise on here on a compatible cpu/mobo setup within his budget.

Not sure I'd agree with their whatever attitude? I had to send a pair of headphones back not long back because they were faulty. Granted i got a replacement but i had to go to manufacturer and then back to amazon, send it off in the post to amazon and await it passing through returns. Unsure if they tested it mind but I'd keep money to one side until you get the all clear atleast

Associate
OP
Right I did what you said and rung them they said it’s in transit so to refuse it when they come and explain and to also re pack my my and send with a address they emailed to me and I spoke to my freind he said it was a accident was supposed to be a z270f il have to check it’s compatible after this event thanks so much for all response will
Give updates soon as !

Associate
Right I did what you said and rung them they said it’s in transit so to refuse it when they come and explain and to also re pack my my and send with a address they emailed to me and I spoke to my freind he said it was a accident was supposed to be a z270f il have to check it’s compatible after this event thanks so much for all response will
Give updates soon as !
So motherboard you get a refund on. What about the CPU you keeping or sending it back? It may have been damaged as well.

Soldato
Oh my word am so ****** right now let me explain before I made these purchases my freind told me to get this motherboard instead of the z270f which I was looking at f me !! That’s ****** me off and yes I did but from the jungle also they are coming to collect the mb today and give me the replacement what am I going to do

What did Amazon say when you told them what you did, in terms of still accepting it back and any sort of refund...?

I did something similar going back to when the Z77 chipset boards were released and I damaged a CPU socket on a brand new Gigabyte Z77 D3H board. I knew that it was my fault and so contacted Gigabyte to see if they could do a socket repair. They picked the board up by courier and repaired the socket and returned it back to me, all in a wee. They charged me nothing...! Amazing service but I would have been glad to have paid.

These sockets can be so easily damaged.

Good luck and hope that it hasn't left you too much out of pocket.

Associate
OP
What did Amazon say when you told them what you did, in terms of still accepting it back and any sort of refund...?

I did something similar going back to when the Z77 chipset boards were released and I damaged a CPU socket on a brand new Gigabyte Z77 D3H board. I knew that it was my fault and so contacted Gigabyte to see if they could do a socket repair. They picked the board up by courier and repaired the socket and returned it back to me, all in a wee. They charged me nothing...! Amazing service but I would have been glad to have paid.

These sockets can be so easily damaged.

Good luck and hope that it hasn't left you too much out of pocket.
Am just waiting on Them to contact me I returned it but haven’t heard anything yet will update soon atm just working up the hub at the back of pc here’s link but I’m putting it into another forum feel free to answer / help https://youtu.be/EgGHa3TsMZ4

Back
Top Bottom