Need help with a whole new layout! (yes im a newb)

Soldato
I know some limited knowlage about ram, proccessors ect. But not enough to know what to get for a whole new pc build :p

Ok then, my sisters austrlian boy friend is gona come over in march and he is an ict person thingy so he can make it all for me :)

I need some help desiding on some things and they all have to fit in a case... which i also need help with :)

There is no way i can afford to spend over £700 so keep it low but quality stuff that i wont need to upgrade. I am heavly into games therefore i need a good pc ready to be upgraded to DX10 when i get more money.

The may upgrades that i want are Processor, Ram and Motherbord. The others can be got later, like the sound card and graphics card. Therefore i need my new stuff to be compatible with a 6800GT and audigy 2.

Here is what i am thinking about getting:

Processor
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600

Motherbord

I dont know if id want crossfire or SLI though, i migth eventualy put dual cards in but will crossfire support the new ATI DX10 card coming out?

Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

GFX
I currently have a 6800GT and i dont have the money to upgrade to DX10 card and i see no point in getting another card and then DX10 so this i shall skip untill i have the money for DX10 card. Which make ATI or Nvida would you suggest i go for though when i come to DX10?

Ram
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ)

Soundcard

Currently have an audigy 2 which i think is not good enough for surround sound with vista. Therefore i will later upgrade to:
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1 Soundcard - Retail

Hard drive

Need help with this one, probly dual sata and looking for around 350gb??

Power supply

Help :O

Case

I need a good case with god air flow, i may overclock my processor a bit but not heavly.

Thankyou for helpin me :D

Soldato
Is your 6800 agp or pci-e?

Also, its impossible to spec a system without a budget, so please set the maximum you are prepared to pay and people will spec for you... ;)

Do you have a large monitor, high resolution?...... SLI or Crossfire will be a waste of cash unless you need to run high res.

Last edited:
Associate
Lets get you specced out, we can get you something pretty good for 700 pounds.

I got you everything you wanted, including the 8800 gts but I went for a cheaper chip in the 4300, which on a stock cooler will overclock easy to 2.8g

The motherboard is real easy to get overclocking with so you can get the extra free performance rather than spend 80 pound extra and your only benefit being 4mb cache. Which is only useful for video editing.

6800gt.jpg

It works out at 718 inc VAT and Delivery

Hope this helps, you could have course, save 199 pounds by sticking with 6800gt for a while ;) IF its PCI-E and not AGP

Associate
masslac said:
Nice spec, there, though I would be tempted to pay a few pounds for some better RAM (namely the CAS4 GeiL).

I agree, but wanted to keep the price as close as possible to budget. though this ram isn't rubbish... its on THIS WEEK ONLY!!!!!

:o

Soldato
OP
mm

Thanks for the quick responces

I did give a budget of 700 quid. But i think 650 is more relistic

I dont want to go lower then a E6600 on my processor.

This 650/700 budget is for a motherbord ram and processor, hard drive and case.

But i was asking what i should be looking to buy next after this. I want to have all the pc specs ready so i can buy them in my own time when i get the cash.

The motherbord ram and prossor and hard drive are the first on the list as i can continue to use my audigy 2 and 6800GT (pci-e) with them i hope.

But i dont know what would be a good case, powersupply, hard drive, motherbord (although i had ideas which i posted in the first post) ect.

So if you could look back at my first post and help me fill in the blanks or correct anything like the ram i said id get, mabey there is better for the price? i dont know.

i want a powerfull pc. I was thinking about getting the ATI DX10 card when it comes out. Which is why i also asked what motherbord to get in respect to crossfire and SLI.

Hows this (without case of fans)?

Western Digital Caviar RE 320GB 3200YS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ)

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Intel Extreme D975XBX2KR BAD AXE 2 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard - Retail

£654.43 inc VAT

Also what fans should i get? or would a good case be good enough to not need fans.

Last edited:
Associate
8igdave said:
Thanks for the quick responces

I did give a budget of 700 quid. But i think 650 is more relistic

I dont want to go lower then a E6600 on my processor.

No need to get a e6600 - a 4300 has the same multiplier, and you won't see much (if any) difference in anything other than video editing between the two cpus.

Seriously that first spec with the 8800 is the best and you should really consider it. That card is better than even 2 6800 GTs and will blow you away.

Back
Top Bottom