Associate
Hi, im new to even basic overclocking and need some help with an issue im getting when trying to use an XMP Profile.

I recently purchased 32gb of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200mhz Ram, this is however running at just 2133mhz currently. I have attempted to use XMP Profiles (both 1 and 2) which offer either 2966mhz or 3200mhz. If i use the 3200mhz profile, i get immediate Blue screen, if i use the 2966mhz the pc will load, however if i start playing a larger game, after around an hour, the game crashes to desktop with no error message.

I have changed the RAM voltage and messed around with it between 1.350v and 1.400v, this doesnt seem to make a difference and the issue remains the same.

My hardware is;

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Processor
32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz Ram
MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Graphics
Corsair 550w Power Supply.

Could it be due to me needing to manually input values for the CPU voltage, if so based on my hardware what figures should i input (i have attempted to use the Ryzen DRAM Calculator but i cant figure out how to use it correctly.

Any help on this would be truely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Associate
Are you using 4 or 2 sticks?
Does this really matter? 4x 8gb would be all single rank sticks while 2x 16gb are 2 dual rank sticks in both cases it's 4 ranks. Not trying school u just actually curious myself.

Regarding op question. I had same issues with same processor. My gskill trident z 3600 were unable to work stable at the advertised speed no matter what I did and was running them at 3200 since I were to do an upgrade soon anyway.
Once I replaced 2700x with 5900x problem disappeared. Still have issues with adjusting timings but same ram sticks operate @3800 while it was only working @3200 on 2700x

Associate
Does this really matter? 4x 8gb would be all single rank sticks while 2x 16gb are 2 dual rank sticks in both cases it's 4 ranks

Basically every single board is daisy chain so they are optimised/you have a way better chance of running 2x16gb at rated speeds than 4x8gb even if they are technically identical in performance. For this reason it's always better to go for 2 sticks.

How I've always thought of it was this. With 2x16gb, the board only has to care about contacting the other side of a pcb so it's fast and less interference. With 4 sticks you physically have to go through the traces to contact the other dimm slot to request the same information. In that regard signal integrity can become an issue.

Also yes as you correctly described the 2700x memory controller is very weak so 3200 is likely not going to work.

Man of Honour
Does this really matter? 4x 8gb would be all single rank sticks while 2x 16gb are 2 dual rank sticks in both cases it's 4 ranks. Not trying school u just actually curious myself.

Regarding op question. I had same issues with same processor. My gskill trident z 3600 were unable to work stable at the advertised speed no matter what I did and was running them at 3200 since I were to do an upgrade soon anyway.
Once I replaced 2700x with 5900x problem disappeared. Still have issues with adjusting timings but same ram sticks operate @3800 while it was only working @3200 on 2700x
All 16gb sticks are not necessarily dual rank. There are a few 16gb sticks that are single rank. People have bought recently assuming dual rank sticks but they were not.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Basically every single board is daisy chain so they are optimised/you have a way better chance of running 2x16gb at rated speeds than 4x8gb even if they are technically identical in performance. For this reason it's always better to go for 2 sticks.

How I've always thought of it was this. With 2x16gb, the board only has to care about contacting the other side of a pcb so it's fast and less interference. With 4 sticks you physically have to go through the traces to contact the other dimm slot to request the same information. In that regard signal integrity can become an issue.

Also yes as you correctly described the 2700x memory controller is very weak so 3200 is likely not going to work.

So basically it's not really a possibility to get them running at the advertised 3200mhz with the 2700x processor? I am happy with running them at the 2nd XMP profile which is just under 3000mhz, but while this posts and boots properly, under load games close to desktop with no error message? Do you think it's possible to get this to work?

Associate
Well you could run them at that while increasing timings I suppose not sure it would be of any benefit tho.

Back
Top Bottom