Need Help

Associate
Hi, I have a problem with my computer. I can get my computer to start up, however the monitor does not display anything. I have yet to install a fresh copy of windows on to my computer as most of the hardware is new. I am running:

mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
CPU: AMD Phenom2 X6 1055T AM3
PSU: 750w Antec High Current Gamer
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8Gb (2X 4Gb) 1600Mhz
GFX: 2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 CrossFire

Please I really need this to work so that I can make some real progress on my university course. Any help would be much appreciated.

Caporegime
Have you plugged the extra 8pin ATX power connection in next to the CPU socket?

Try a single 5770 card on its own?

Have you given the cards the 6pin PCI_E power connector each?

Try a clear CMOS.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have the 8 pin hooked up to the motherboard and the 6 pin hooked up to the graphics card. I have also tried clearing the CMOS. I have tried hooking the DVI connector to both the graphics card and the motherboard, with and without the GFX card connected.

Soldato
So you tried connecting to the monitor with the two graphic cards taken out and connecting it to the motherboard. You also tried each card individually.

Have you tested the monitor on another PC?

Caporegime
I have the 8 pin hooked up to the motherboard and the 6 pin hooked up to the graphics card. I have also tried clearing the CMOS. I have tried hooking the DVI connector to both the graphics card and the motherboard, with and without the GFX card connected.

Have you connected the 24 pin power connector to the motherboard as well?

Associate
OP
I have connected both the 24 pin and the 8 pin connectors to the motherboard. I have not yet tried the other monitor on another PC. I don't have a spare PC that has a DVI connector on it, or that can take the GFX cards that I have.

Soldato
Hi there,

Did the graphics card come with a DVI to VGA adapter? This would allow you to connect to older monitors that don't have DVI ports - for testing purposes.

Also, you mentioned that most of the hardware is new. May I ask exactly what is new and what was in place before (and was working)?

Also, when you have two AMD/ATI graphics cards installed in crossfire, you should only connect the monitor up to the top-most graphics card (the one nearest the CPU) and don't even try the motherboard graphics port unless you have removed all the graphics cards.

As mentioned above, your best bet is to remove both graphics cards and try out the onboard graphics first - to ensure the system boots up correctly. Then try each graphics card individually and see if either one has issues.

Associate
OP
I have tried only the onboard GFX but the monitor did not get a signal. I don't know if the system is booting up correctly. The graphics card does not have a DVI to VGA adapter. Does anybody know if the mobo type BIOS is supposed to have a beep or a visual signal?

Soldato
When you tried the onboard graphics, did you remove both of the graphics cards? As the motherboard automatically disables the onboard graphics if it detects a graphics card in a PCIE slot.

As for a beep, this motherboard doesn't come with a dignostic speaker installed (though you can connect one to it) - either your case will come with one or you need to buy one.

If you have the same problem with no graphics cards installed - then I would suggest taking out one of the RAM sticks and leave one remaining (installed in the A1 slot). Then test if you PC will boot in that configuration - then test it with the other stick on it's own in the A1 slot again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom