Need new bike for commuting, canal towpaths and trails £600

Soldato
That's the main thing, yeah - that the primary riding position (on the hoods) is waaay more comfortable over any meaningful length of time than using flat bars. But the variation is important to. You can use the tops as flat bars if you're resting or climbing, you can use the bends at the top, you can use the drops themselves.

I don't know why you wouldn't have seen people in the drops though, I use them fairly often. Sometimes while riding into a headwind, but mainly for descents and pathetic sprint efforts ;)

Of course, if the OP already has a road bike then they'll be able to weigh up the benefits for their own personal uses. I would have said that a relaxed cyclocross bike would be the best fit for what they've described, but it depends a lot on the specific type of trails. If it's just dirt then any road bike would probably be fine. If it's grass and a bit of gravel then a cyclocross bike would handle it better. If it's rocks and gravel as big as your fist then maybe flat bars would be justified. But above all the key thing is that you're comfortable.

Associate
my wife prefers straight bars to drops also. We tried both and its just the way it worked best for her. She said she felt more comfortable and in control

so we tried the boardman cross and hybrid. The hybrid is just a like the cross but with flat bars

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks again for the input, some good points raised :)

My take on drops vs straights, When I'm out on the road bike I do mostly ride the hoods but I will use the drops when going down hill or on long flats with little traffic, I do find find them comfortable and the fact you can ride in 3 different positions is great. I also like straights even if they're not quite as comfy as drops simply because the control and feel of security when on trails or towpaths etc.

I have passed other riders on cyclocross bikes on the towpaths I use so I know a cyclocross is an option but it just doesn't look comfortable.

Soldato
OP
Just seen you can buy the Voodoo Marasa for £299 from Halfords eBay store and pick it up from your local store all setup after 4 days. Is there any downsides to doing this rather than just purchasing through Halfords website/store? Also the're only two sizes 18 or 20" I'm 5ft 8" and the size guide suggests size 18 from 5ft 5" and size 20 from 5ft 10" now I obviously don't want something that's too big but I feel my MTB is about 2" too small at size 17.

Anyone my size riding a voodoo bike size 18 or 20? Long shot I know!

Soldato
Just seen you can buy the Voodoo Marasa for £299 from Halfords eBay store and pick it up from your local store all setup after 4 days. Is there any downsides to doing this rather than just purchasing through Halfords website/store? Also the're only two sizes 18 or 20" I'm 5ft 8" and the size guide suggests size 18 from 5ft 5" and size 20 from 5ft 10" now I obviously don't want something that's too big but I feel my MTB is about 2" too small at size 17.

Anyone my size riding a voodoo bike size 18 or 20? Long shot I know!

Get the smaller one and run it with a bit more seat post showing, it'll be fine.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to try and get to a Halfords tomorrow and see one in the flesh also ask if I can sit on one. I wonder actually if I show the the eBay listing if they'll just cut out the eBay palaver and just sell me one for £299!

Man of Honour
Have you thought of looking on Gumtree OP?
The last 3 bikes I've bought on Gumtree have been bargains (1 for me and 2 for friends).
All 3 had hardly been used because they'd all been bought on a whim.
The best one was a Carrera Fury the guy had bought for £499, used it for about 5 rides to work and we got it for £160. The lad I went to buy it with used it for 2 weeks so it's still pristine.

Soldato
OP
Just back from Halfords and didn't like the Marasa at all, looks like a youth bike in fact only the bordmams looked half decent. I know it shouldn't be about looks but I've got to want to go out on it!

Soldato
Fair. Looks do count for a lot when it comes to motivation. That Verenti Division on the last page does look a lot smarter but of course the issue is that you'd have to be pretty sure of your size beforehand as you can't actually see it.

Soldato
Yeah, you've got to want it otherwise you won't use it.

I must admit that I always buy with spec for the price as the first criteria but I wouldn't buy one where the looks actively put me off.

Soldato
OP
Yeah the Marasa looks worse in real life than pictures and the general finish wasn't very good. I couldn't sit on one which was the 20" version as it was padlocked in to the stand and no one was around. It did look a better size though but without sitting on one it would be complete guess work.

Been watching some GCN videos and the guys are riding what looks like cyclocross bikes over far worse terrain than I would be doing and they seem to cope ok so might investigate cyclocross as an option.

BTW they were down to £299 in store if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think I've found the "one" it's a Specialized Diverge which is classed as a Adventure / Gravel bike and it seems like a proper do it all bike, could even replace my road bike!

Any thoughts on this?

Soldato
Think I've found the "one" it's a Specialized Diverge which is classed as a Adventure / Gravel bike and it seems like a proper do it all bike, could even replace my road bike!

Any thoughts on this?

You found one for £600? They're quite nice bikes - certainly can cover a lot of bases.

Back
Top Bottom