Need new bike for commuting, canal towpaths and trails £600

Soldato
OP
Still going round in circles!

I was convinced the diverge was the right bike but then I read about any bike bar a MTB will shake your eyeballs out going over some of the terrain I pan to do!!!

I'm now also looking at a Voodoo Bazingo which gets rave reviews, I'm thinking I could put some 35mm Marathon Plus on its 29" wheels and bar ends to give me different riding positions and even lockout the forks for road sections. I would also have the option to head in to the peaks on some decent trails

Thoughts?

Soldato
Can't really go wrong with a bizango tbh.
May not even need Road tyres.. A small block light weight cross country tyre will be fine for most things, just turn the thingy on the forks to lock the suspension up on road if you want, it's a very capable versatile bike.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do you have any pictures or examples of the type of terrain you're talking about? Because a lot of people seem to vastly overstate the need for suspension.

Sorry not got photos but there's a 1km section that has a lot of loose road stone followed by some rough rooty terrain that I feel is quite testing!!!

Lat night I joined British cycling and ordered the Bazango for collection next Thursday, from what I understand I should get 10% off at the till making it £540, will this work with my membership number as I won't have the card for a couple of weeks?

Bought some bits like 700c x 35 Marathon plus from CRC with 10% off :)

Soldato
They were fine with just a membership number when I got my Garmin 810. I don't think they actually had to input it in the till, just click a button "British Cycling" or similar I guess.

I think he was more annoyed with having to process 18x£10 vouchers... my company's benefits provider only gives them that way!

Soldato
Bought some bits like 700c x 35 Marathon plus from CRC with 10% off :)

What was your thinking behind this purchase? ~1.8Kg of tyres is a huge weight penalty for puncture protection and you will have great fun fitting them to your rims, they are evil things to fit in my experience.;)

The Bizango is a great looking bike with a good recent history of rave reviews, after seeing one in the flesh I came very close to being swayed from my Wazoo fat bike purchase.

Soldato
Yeh not sure I'd have gone with marathons, heavy and can be a pain to fit..
I use rocket rons on the front and racing Ralph's on the back, light weight, almost fragile as they are very flimsy, but fine as long as you keep an eye on pressure and don't do anything too extreme.

Soldato
OP
Picked up the Bizango today, I also had them fit some A530 single sided SPD's

Everything seemed to be setup OK, once I got home I did notice the deraliur cable was a little frayed at the end but everything else seems fine.

I'm 5ft 8" and went for a 18" frame, the bike itself felt a lot better to ride than my old hard rock and I didn't feel cramped, over all I'm very happy with it. I did ask the guy at Halfords about buying 700c tubes for it because I'm changing the tyres and he informed me that there's an inch difference between the MTB 29" and a Road Bike 700c. I said as far as I know there the same size but didn't argue with him, however when I got home I took the tape measure out and measure both my MTB and RB wheels and they're the same size!

Just waiting for my goodies - tyres, Bar Ends, Protective Stickers and Cage. Not going to use it till its all fitted :)

Couple of questions..

When I fit the Bar Ends should I take the opportunity to fit new grips/bar tape or just keep the standard ones?

What's everyone using to lube and clean their bike?

Thanks chaps :)

Associate
I was in the same situation, with Road Bike and MTB. I didn't want to be using drop bars in traffic and clipped pedals, encase I need to get on the brakes quick, and get on/off quick. The mountain bike was heavy and slow.

I've just ordered a Cube Road SL Pro for commuting, slight over budget at £649. But you get good Shimano kit, and it has really good gear ratios.

http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/trekking/sl-road/cube-sl-road-pro-grey-black-flashgreen-2016/

Going to put Mudguards and pannier rack on it.

Can you get one on the cycletowork scheme?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was in the same situation, with Road Bike and MTB. I didn't want to be using drop bars in traffic and clipped pedals, encase I need to get on the brakes quick, and get on/off quick. The mountain bike was heavy and slow.

I've just ordered a Cube Road SL Pro for commuting, slight over budget at £649. But you get good Shimano kit, and it has really good gear ratios.

http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/trekking/sl-road/cube-sl-road-pro-grey-black-flashgreen-2016/

Going to put Mudguards and pannier rack on it.

Can you get one on the cycletowork scheme?

Nice, looks like my Trek 7.5 FX.

You will have to ask where you work about Cycle To Work Scheme.

uv

uv

Soldato
I've just ordered a Cube Road SL Pro

The forks don't have any routing or clips for the brake hose - that looks like a recipe for disaster! I'd pick up some cable ties or electrical tape and get the hose fixed to the fork - otherwise if anything catches it, you're going down one-brake alley

Associate
The forks don't have any routing or clips for the brake hose - that looks like a recipe for disaster! I'd pick up some cable ties or electrical tape and get the hose fixed to the fork - otherwise if anything catches it, you're going down one-brake alley

Nice spot, Thanks. I'll make sure I get that sorted

Soldato
OP
image_zpsz8owqwef.jpeg

image_zpslilizhpu.jpeg

Had my first ride on the new bike yesterday, A simple 18 mile ride on towpaths and road, it was a blast! Very happy with the Bizango and the tyre choice was spot on, the marathons really aren't as heavy as i feared and provided plenty of grip even along the muddy slopes next to the canals :)

I'd like to get some simple but effective mudguards and a either an hydration or Bikepack, I'm planning on some adventures :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting set up! Different.. But i suppose what you've done there is basically build a hard core touring bike.

Parhaps a new niech has been born, gnarr-tour!

Back
Top Bottom