Need some help sending out a mail merge letter.

Associate
Hi All,

I have a plan to send a generic template letter to around 200 contacts using mail merge , I hope in return it will generate new business leads for me and the company.

We offer logistic solutions for local companies. (we offer next day delivery to anywhere in the UK).

I'm thinking of having it no bigger than one page and being concise and straight to the point, I was also going to put a cheeky picture of myself on it so that they can put a face to the name.

I need help on what to put into the letter, I have some ideas like introducing the company and what services they offer etc.

It would be good to hear if anyone has done this before and if they could share there ideas with me, also if anyone can recommend any books or know of any resources I can look up to help me write this letter that would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
I would imagine a letter/leaflet would end up in the bin. You'd be better phoning companies, going to local meet and greet breakfasts, networking in the local area.

What else are you doing so far?

A simple letter (no photo), company logo at the top. 1 paragraph saying who the company is/history. 2nd paragraph or bullet points laying out what you can offer and why you are better than other solutions. 3rd paragraph would be how to move forward if they are interested.

Soldato
Photo of an individual on a flyer might put me off if it gave the impression that the company was a small operation / one man band.

Good point, suggests it's just you with a van.

When you say 200 contacts are these people you know? In which case i'd do as AHarvey suggests and phone them for a brief chat. Otherwise 200 people isn't many for general leaflet bombing type campaigns.

Associate
OP
I have tired phoning companies, many appear to be uninterested. (I guess people don't like cold calling).

The contacts aren't people I know, but I know that they need the services I offer.

Iv decided not to add a photo to the letter, here is the letter that Iv come up with so far :-

Dear XXXXXX,

Fantastic cost-effective next day palletised deliveries to anywhere in the UK and beyond!

When you next consider your arrangements for your logistics services I would welcome the opportunity to understand your requirements and situation. Leading companies such as the XXXXXX and XXXXXXX use XXXXXXXX, because they've achieved improvements of delivery performance and massive savings on their logistics costs compared to their old logistics provider.

On average our customers are more satisfied and save up to 15% or more from switching from their current logistics provider.

XXXXX is able to offer you:

• Next day delivery to anywhere in the United Kingdom.

• Competitive rates.

• Excellent customer service.

• Warehousing storage.

• Over 25 years of experience in the Logistic’s Industry.

To trial XXXXX effectiveness in your organisation, you can arrange a free no-obligation quotation and trial now.

Please feel free to contact me to arrange your no-obligation quotation and trail now.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXX

Business Development Manager

What do you guys think?

Soldato
Fantastic cost-effective next day palletised deliveries to anywhere in the UK and beyond!

So you will deliver my heavy pallet of stuff to Sydney next day as that's "beyond" the UK.

To trial XXXXX effectiveness in your organisation, you can arrange a free no-obligation quotation and trial now.

And you'll do it free as part of a no-obligation trial ....?

I think you may want to revisit the content.

Soldato
You should seek the services of a direct marketing professional. You may be better advised to place an advertisement in the local press or on a billboard or three.

And you'll want to be sure about your claims. Can you really deliver to Inverness the next day? How about the Shetlands? Or the Scilly Isles? How about on a Sunday?

You should also check your grammar.

Associate
I agree with Quartz if theres nothing in the budget for that though take a look at the gary halbert letter . com he pretty much wrote the book on direct marketing.

Soldato
Yes, that letter would end up in the bin I'm afraid.

As I said previously, you need to explain who you, a local company with a national/global reach, running X years, name some local big clients if you have any. keep to a brief paragraph. This letter needs to build trust, show that you are professional, and all this starts as soon as that letter is opened. Are you sending this on headed paper?

Second paragraph laying out what you can offer and why you are better than other solutions. Savings, do you offer tracking of items, what times can you pick/guarantee. For instance, excellent customer service, really, doesn't everyone say this even when it's not? How about 24/7 customer service? telephone, email, webchat customer service solution? You're showing that you are always there for you clients. What sizes of deliveries do you cover? small parcels, pallets, what's the maximum you can take? 26 on a HGV?

Third paragraph would be how to move forward if they are interested.

More importantly, be honest and realistic. DO NOT offer the world because you are setting yourself up for failure. If getting something to the highlands is going to take 2 days then say it'll take 2 days, not next day.

Can I just ask how big this company is? Your original post made me think "man with a van" or small business, business development manager sounds fancy, but is that really who you are within the company? I ask because it's taken 2 weeks to revisit this post when in reality, I would have expected 1-2 days.

Back
Top Bottom